Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Everyone please read

I hope everyone will read this. I just reponded to a thread titled "Got ripped off on this auction." I was the seller, and I want to make sure that my response does not get lost at the bottom of the thread. Here it is:

Hello. I am Tim Puro and I am the person who sold this coin.

My wife just started working with me and she is just learning about the coin biz. We have been working incredibly hard so that she can quit her 9 to 5 job and work with me full time. We accidentally sent out two other Type 1 coins, and we made good on all of them.

Listed below is a copy of an email I received from Mr. Murphy:

"You got me azz hole! You slipped me a Type-1 in place of the Type-2 advertised in the auction. The only reason I'm keeping it is to put in my collection as a really good Type-1 S MM. I will never buy anything from you again. Expect no Feedback at all from me, I expect none from you."

I immediately responded with the following email:

" I am definitely not an "azz hole". My wife accidentally sent out a couple of T1 instead of T2. It was an honest mistake. I can either refund you $10, or you can send the coin back for a refund or a new coin (I'll pay for the return shipping). Let me know what you prefer."

I never heard back from Mr. Murphy and had planned on contacting him today.

I am not going to pretend that I am absolutely perfect. Mistakes happen occasionally and I always do the best I can to remedy them. Unfortunately, Mr. Murphy would not allow me to make good. Instead he decided to air his problems in a public forum and attempt to harm my reputation.

He mentioned in his email to me that the coin was "a really good Type-1 S MM", and now he is mentioning the coin is scratched. I wonder what is actually true?

Not all sellers are trying to put a con job across on people. I hope people on this list can read through the lines to see what actually happened here.

If anyone who reads this would like to PM me with any questions, please do so. Or call me at (800)655-1327.
Tim Puro
Puro's Coins and Jewelry
Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.

Comments

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    i'd hate for all my mistakes to get aired out...

do the right thing and forgiveness is yours image

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice post, way to go for standing up for yourself and doing it in a calm fashion. Its too bad you had to defend yourself at all.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is bothersome that someone would rip someone without even trying to get a resolution to a problem first. It appears they had no intention of trying to have the situation "made right", just wanted to complain in a public forum.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    I have to tell everyone ... I am sick to my stomach right now. I sincerely try to do the best I can to make my customers happy, and I was blown away when I saw these posts.

I hope Mr. Murphy takes me up on one of my offers.
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For whatever it's worth, I've dealt with Tim many tmies before and he is definitely a stand-up guy. Never any problem with any of our transactions.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Sorry to have bothered you, but the villagers can get easily riled when they are confused.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "I can either refund you $10, or you can send the coin back for a refund or a new coin (I'll pay for the return shipping). Let me know what you prefer."

I would suggest that you just send him the coin he won and forget about making him go through the hassle of returning the junk you sent him.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were you I would tell Mr. Murphy to go pound sand. His thread was a low life attack for no reason at all.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I would have given you the option of making things right! But then thats just me.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Hope everything works out
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    Wow, thats stupid. You don't need to know much about the coin world to know understand that situation. I'm sorry you had to put up with that. Some people are just plain old jerks, and can't even function daily without having something to complain about. Mistakes happen.

P.S. Rutland!? Wow, you are only like a half hour from me!
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the answer Fire the wifeimageimage
    Actually you did just what you should have,
    Mistakes are made and you tried to make it
    good. You shouldn't feel bad, You did your best
    to remedy the situation. Your OK in my book
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    You sound like you're one of the "Good Guys".

• Options
    Here is a perfect example of what I referred to in a previous post. This person was unfairly criticized and of course the person who left the original complaint did not mention the rude email he sent to the seller. I don't need to cite example to try and make a point that more than a few people here make mountains out of molehills. I applaud this seller for responding as he did.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't need to cite example to try and make a point that more than a few people here make mountains out of molehills >>

This is true in real life as well, the world is full of drama queens, why would an internet froum be any different? I'm just glad Tim was willing and able to state his side of the situation.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And guess who's on my blocked bidders list>>>>MURPHY<<<.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Tim,

If you have any hard times tokens or early dimes, ( or anyrthing else cool) let me know and I'll bid on them. Post a link in your signature.

Rgrds
    Tomimage
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and now you know....the rest of the storyimage
  • Options
    Tim,
    Classy move and way to be a stand up guy. I don't know you or Mr. Murphy, but it appears after reading both threads, you have my vote of confidence.

Hope you both can work it out.

Best of luck
    KenoshaPete
  • Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Very nice reply. I hope your wife will be able to quit the 9 to 5 real soon.

Why don't you put a link to your e-bay auctions in your sig line.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I musta missed when you joined up last year.

• Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I know Tim, and he is a real nice guy, who in my opinion would not try to screw anyone.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    One more post in support of Tim. I've purchased from him in the past, very satisfied. He contributes on occasion in RCC, and is always fair and knowledgable.

Don't sweat it, Tim -- there's always loonies out there, just part of doing business with the world.
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tim for your side of the story.
  • Options
    I have purchased from Tim and had a good experience and was very happy with the transaction.
    michael
    Michael
  • Options
    It is amazing how nasty some people can be he on these forums. When I read some of the responses, sometimes I can't believe what I am reading! Sometimes it seems like there are a bunch of 15 year old girls here instead of grown men! It also surprises me how many people here go "looking" for scams and things they think are wrong, or shill bidding or whatever.

This is a public forum and we do have the right to free speech. However, I personally draw the line at bashing people in a public forum UNLESS I have absolute proof that they are not what they seem. Just because it seems like something, it doesn't mean that something is true.

LOL, I feel like a philospher, or a Mom or something. Oh wait! I am a Mom! LOL

Stacy
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Cute kids Stacy...

Can anyone link some of Tims auctions please...

Thanks!
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>Can anyone link some of Tims auctions please...

Thanks! >>

vtcoins
  • Options
    Tim has always been a top notch seller when I have purchased from him!

Greg Drude
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    You have my vote of confidence, and I look forward to bidding on your coins in the future. image
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Murphy's silence on the subject is DEAFENING!

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Ten bucks?? Worried about TEN BUCKS????? Am I correct? This is about TEN BUCKS????imageimageimage
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim....I give you 2 thumbs up for your response.....enough said...image
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Convinced Me! Just put 8 bids on your auctions. Wish all sellers were as honest as you. Good Luck in the future to you and your wife!
    A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life
  • Options

<< <i>You have my vote of confidence, and I look forward to bidding on your coins in the future. image >>

I've never dealt with VTcoins, but I hope to in the future.

The way I see it Mr. Murphy did you a big favore, it looks like you may have picked up some new new customers.

At times I fly off the handle as MR Murphy did. This thread kinda sorta hit home with me. It's a wake-up call for me to count to 10 before I make an azz of myself, as I have done too often.

Thank you Tim for the thump (your thread) upside my head, I need a good thumping every now and then to keep me on an even keel.

Herb

btw image
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I've bought from Tim in the past. No problems.
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always good to hear both sides of the story...

And, I've bought some mint sets from VTCoins without any issuesimage

I think people are getting so balled up in the scammers, that they are forgetting that mistakes DO happen. Just my 1/2 cents worth.
  • Options
    VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    Thanks again for all the support. I didn't respond to "Got ripped off on this auction " to make Mr. Murphy look bad or to pick up more business. I wanted to protect my reputation. Mr. Murphy may be a good guy who has got taken advantage of by nefarious dealers, and thought he was being taken again. I just wish he had handled the situation a little bit differently.

I would like to apologize for starting a separate thread. It was very important for me to have everyone see my thoughts.
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my eBay auctions

• Options
    Favorite Seller added.

This is quite the interesting way to find apparently good eBay dealers, have someone complain about them on CU forums image Everyone deserves a chance to make a problem right, which it sounds like you did (even murphy made it sound like you were trying to make it right immediately), and in my book doing that counts for a lot.
    Varieties are the spice of a Type Set.

Need more $$$ for coins?
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more voice for the chorus of "Tim is OK." I've sold to him; he dealt very straight with me -- none of the all-too-ordinary "yeah, but that's not very nice for the grade" kind of crap.

MD
    mirabela
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Not sure how to buy things on ebay or auctions but if i learn how, the first place I'll look and bid is VTCOINS. Tim: do you sell on ebay or on a separate web site or somewhere in PCGS. Let me know. You sound like one of the honest ones I'd buy from. Post your selling location and how to bid if possible.
    Carl
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I just asked a dumb question about where is your web site. It was on your orgiinal message. vtcoins.com. I just went there and it looks pretty impressive. Send checks for items OK?
    Carl
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I would suggest that you just send him the coin he won and forget about making him go through the hassle of returning the junk you sent him."

Well, the seller did offer to pay the return shipping expense. Mistake on seller's end has been acknowledged by seller. This seller is trying to make things right. image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Except it's been determined that the buyer did in fact receive a type 2. Read the thread Russ linked.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mistake on seller's end has been acknowledged by seller. >>

There was no mistake. He sent the correct coin the first time.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got it.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file