Meet the Darksiders......DPOTD

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, William!!!

And just in case Don forgot how much we love him... image

<< <i>The real story of Ajaan:

In a hole in the ground there lived an ajaan. Not a tidy, clean, dry hole, filled with fine furnishings, nor a warm cozy hole with soft chairs to sit down on: it was an ajaan hole, and that means filth.

This ajaan was a not very well-to-do ajaan, and his name was Bingo Greentoe. The Greentoes had lived in this hole for time out of mind, and people considered them very un-respectable, not only because they were dirty and poor, but because they had very bad manners. The Greentoes never had any adventures, not because they didn't care to, but because no wizard or dwarf would stop by their shabby ajaan hole. This is the story of how bingo Greentoe almost had an adventure.

One day bingo Greentoe awoke to a knock on his door, which was perfectly round, unpainted and falling off it's hinges. bingo jumped out of bed, which was really only a pile of straw on his muddy floor, and triped over a pile of cheap malt liquor bottles on his way to the door. Cursing and drunk bingo answered the door. To his suprise it was not the police, but a tall wizard dressed in gray. The wizard looked down at the dirty little ajaan and said sternly "bingo Greentoe, you are drunk and half naked, put on your trousers!" bingo stumbled back to his pile of dirty straw cursing as he went and found his trousers. He then returned to the wizard and said "I shall be taking Halfpenny ale at 4 p.m., will you join me?" The disgusted wizard said "I should rather be turned to stone and used as a perch for filthy pigeons, good day Sire Greentoe!" bingo remained very drunk and poor to the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily short. >>

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Name: Todd Sides
    City: Salisbury
    State: NC

I have lived in Salisbury all my life but I have traveled around this great country and even to Canada (I can't wait to get back there). I was a Patrol Officer for 3 years then became a Narcotics Officer for about another 3 years and for the last 2 years have been assigned to General Investigations as a Gang Investigator (I worked gangs while as a Narcotics Detective also). I am married and have one child now (he is only a week old!). I started in the hobby as a young child with a collection of pennies and dimes, although I have no clue why I had them and to be frank, I didn't really care I had them. It wasn't until Sept of 07, when my Grandfather died, that I got back into the hobby. He had a coin collection that I knew nothing about. My cousin was gracious enough to give me a few of the coins that my Grandfather had left him. That got me into the US coin hobby. It wasn't until I saw Canadian Large Cents that I fell in love with the greyside.... then there were those damned German coins!! My family has a great German heritage and once I found the old German coins, Reichsmarks, and such I fell in love with the Darkside. Now I only really collect darkside stuff. My love of coins has fed my new addiction, Metal detecting.
    I know that I sometimes come off "pushy" or "egotistical" but I don't mean to. I'm a hyper person and get on my soapbox at the drop of a hat, of course I usually drop the hat!! If any of you are down this way and need anything let me know! You can find out more about me at Myspace.
    P.S. I went to the GREATEST College on earth, Appalachian State University!!! GO APPS!!!! (Thats where the ASU in my name came from!) www.goasu.com!
    Here are some pics to make you laugh!
    Todd
  • Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    Wow... never saw this thread before, so I guess I'll add to it myself.

My name is Rick. After college, I spent about 8 years in Kansas before moving back to Washington - now I live in a small town north of Seattle. I have a lot of interest in economics - which is what I studied in college, and I work in Finance, and I collect coins... so most of my life revolves around the study of money in one way or another. I'm the newsletter editor of WINS (if you haven't checked out the World Internet Numismatic Society, I recommend it - great group of people). I've been married for 7 years now, and have three kids.

My primary interest is in minor coinage of the mid to late 18th century. My goal is to slim my collection down to 100-200 focus coins. I think that's a good range to be small enough to stay selective and big enough to rotate here and there. Right now, I'm looking for coinage from France and the Netherlands, but I have a lot of open ground to cover.

I have a website, which I try and update when I can.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    my name is colin, currently a student, studying arctic environments. Have been collecting for practically my entire life, and I pretty much collect everything.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We need an (admittedly OT) thread for the Babies of 2007. Congratulations everyone! Babies Rock image >>

I couldn't find one, so I'm putting these pictures of my latest Darkside additions here, as have others with new babies. You all are familiar with Matthew, born May 30, 2007 (the subject of an incredibly generous giveaway by fellow Darksiders - once again, a huge thank you), and most recently another son, Christian, born December 14, 2008. First, pics of Matthew a week ago learning the ropes, and then of Christian.

[URL=http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200812268804wq2.jpg]image[/URL]

[URL=http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200812268803de7.jpg]image[/URL]

[URL=http://img79.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200812298823lh5.jpg]image[/URL]

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Congrats 1jesterimageimage
    Becky
  • Options
    My name is Brett, i'm 36 and have a big family. My wife and I have 3 kids and 4 foster kids. We live in Effingham,NH which is if Effing-nowhere. Not much around besides trees and wildlife.

I collect one of everything I can get my hands on. It started out as OFEC, but the urge has expanded to an outright addiction. I am also unorganized and have been trying to change that, it's a very slow process.

I also collect world currency and have a collection of lightside stuff.
  • Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My name is Brett, i'm 36 and have a big family. My wife and I have 3 kids and 4 foster kids. We live in Effingham,NH which is if Effing-nowhere. Not much around besides trees and wildlife.

I collect one of everything I can get my hands on. It started out as OFEC, but the urge has expanded to an outright addiction. I am also unorganized and have been trying to change that, it's a very slow process.

I also collect world currency and have a collection of lightside stuff. >>

So there is an Effingham in NC, eh? Well, there is an Effingham in Illinois (25 miles/40km west of where I live, in Greenup, IL). And I usually refer to it as E-Ham, where there are two interstates (57 & 70) and not much else.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • Options
    HELLO TERRY.
    JUST CALL ME JOE.
    I COLLECT ALL SORTS OF WORLD COINS - OF COURSE, THAT INCLUDES THE USA.
    MY SPECIALTY IS US/PHILIPPINES, BUT I COULD NOT POSSIBLY LIMIT MYSELF TO ANY SPECIFIC COUNTRY.
    GOETZ DESIGNS ROCK!
    BIG SILVER MEXICAN $$ ARE SO COOL!
    QUEEN VICTORIA IS SO PRETTY!
    THE CHARGING ELEPHANT ON MY TABORA POUND IS THE BADDEST!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My name is Brett, i'm 36 and have a big family. My wife and I have 3 kids and 4 foster kids. We live in Effingham,NH which is if Effing-nowhere. Not much around besides trees and wildlife.

I also collect world currency and have a collection of lightside stuff. >>

So there is an Effingham in NC, eh? Well, there is an Effingham in Illinois (25 miles/40km west of where I live, in Greenup, IL). And I usually refer to it as E-Ham, where there are two interstates (57 & 70) and not much else. >>

Not sure where NC got involved. But up here in New Hampshire, Effingham is near the Maine border.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    This is such a great thread!!

TTT for the new Darksidersimage
    Becky
  • Options
    Gosh it was 2005 when I listed my details, how times change!
    I have finally given up teaching ( 40 years were enough! ) and crossed the wire and now have the only coin shop on the Isle of Man ( I should correct that and say only shop open everyday ). It is more a colletors den! with three of us selling all types of memorabilia, but it is great fun. You never know what will be offered over the counter, it has ranged from Queen Elizabeth the first coins to tourist change!
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome, William!!!

And just in case Don forgot how much we love him... image

<< <i>The real story of Ajaan:

In a hole in the ground there lived an ajaan. Not a tidy, clean, dry hole, filled with fine furnishings, nor a warm cozy hole with soft chairs to sit down on: it was an ajaan hole, and that means filth.

This ajaan was a not very well-to-do ajaan, and his name was Bingo Greentoe. The Greentoes had lived in this hole for time out of mind, and people considered them very un-respectable, not only because they were dirty and poor, but because they had very bad manners. The Greentoes never had any adventures, not because they didn't care to, but because no wizard or dwarf would stop by their shabby ajaan hole. This is the story of how bingo Greentoe almost had an adventure.

One day bingo Greentoe awoke to a knock on his door, which was perfectly round, unpainted and falling off it's hinges. bingo jumped out of bed, which was really only a pile of straw on his muddy floor, and triped over a pile of cheap malt liquor bottles on his way to the door. Cursing and drunk bingo answered the door. To his suprise it was not the police, but a tall wizard dressed in gray. The wizard looked down at the dirty little ajaan and said sternly "bingo Greentoe, you are drunk and half naked, put on your trousers!" bingo stumbled back to his pile of dirty straw cursing as he went and found his trousers. He then returned to the wizard and said "I shall be taking Halfpenny ale at 4 p.m., will you join me?" The disgusted wizard said "I should rather be turned to stone and used as a perch for filthy pigeons, good day Sire Greentoe!" bingo remained very drunk and poor to the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily short. >>

>>

imageimageimage
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many names from the past. Askara hasn't logged on in 6 years to the day. I wonder what's he doing.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My name is Zohar, I am 40 years old. Live in NYC, wife and 2 year old daughter.

Primary focus has been 16-18th century Austro-Hungarian Talers, aiming for the best quality I can find/afford. I also am building up a high grade Swiss shooting medal collection.

This is a wonderful forum and hobby.
  • Options

<< <i>So many names from the past. Askara hasn't logged on in 6 years to the day. I wonder what's he doing. >>

Looking through the "Last Visited On" dates, there appears to be some lurkers still around, although some haven't logged-in for a while...

GDJMSP: Last Visited On: June 15th, 2010 5:44 AM
    Justhavingfun: Last Visited On: October 15th, 2010 8:19 AM
    Darkhorse: Last Visited On: July 25th, 2005 1:58 PM (although we all know he checks the forums image )
    MSD61: Last Visited On: July 7th, 2010 10:01 AM
    Makarovii: Last Visited On: November 27th, 2009 10:17 PM
    drjules: Last Visited On: January 22nd, 2009 3:51 PM
    ricke: Last Visited On: December 2nd, 2009 10:23 PM
    DesertRat Last Visited On: January 1st, 2011 9:11 PM
    Doogy Last Visited On: September 24th, 2009 4:46 PM

All the other names I've recognized have very recent check-in dates. We need to get these lurkers out of hiding!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowee.....what a teriffic thread.....not sure how I missed it since I have been hanging out since 2006.

My name is Dan, I am an investment advisor at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney ....now going on 30 years.

I got married late in life to a wonderful lady 14 years my junior.

We have 3 great kids 18, 15, AND 8.

Needless to say I am into growing wealth.......remember the story of the race between the tortoise and the hare.....well
    in my experience the tortoise wins the race....whether saving for retirement or building a fun coin collection.

In this uncertain world I try to control what I can control and I tell my clients that for me that decision is how much skin I choose to have in the game,

It applies to investing or collecting.....

No doubt I am a coinaholic.....having amassed more coins than I realized I am now trimming my collection by setting up at certain shows and selling off parts of my collection.

I do not consider myself a dealer.

I do stretch for coins and enjoy mostly silver crowns of the world and gold coins on spanish america.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My name is John, I am currently 35 years old and can't believe that I haven't seen this thread in all the time I have been here. I am a Naval Officer by occupation but have been known to dabble in dealing from time to time. On the darkside of things, I focus mostly on my confederation Swiss Type Set and on gorgeous high end shooting talers. Just wish I could find more of em!
  • Options
    Wow, this thread has turned into a huge database, will have to go through it a bit more when I get time.

I'm Andrew and I teach Maths, Science and Chemistry at secondary (high school) level in Mount Gambier, South Australia.

My major collecting interests are:
    1. German coin 1871-current type set in mint fresh condition (AU-BU)
    2. German 1 Mark Date/Mintmark set 1873-2001, only need about 20 coins to complete
    3. Anything else German including pre 1871, notgeld, notes, Date/Mintmark set of 1-50pfennig coins
    4. US type set (7070 excluding gold), in any condition
    5. Australian type set in any condition
    6. Any other World coins I find interesting

I have a complete German 3rd Reich Set and German Westfalen Notgeld 1921-23.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    This is a good thread. I can't believe how long this thread has been going. My daughter is going to be eight in a month and I'm going to be 35.

I have narrowed my interests to Russian Imperial with an emphasis on copper as the silver and gold are just astronomical at this point. I still have a collection of Ancient Roman coins with no real emphasis on anything. I also have my collection of British Imperial India under Victoria. I also have my daughter's birthyear collection.

• Options
    GreigGreig Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Well, here goes. My first post, hopefully not my last. A lurker for too long, I was convinced by Twokopeiki (at the recent CICF) it was time to step out from behind the curtain. I am a long time collector, who started with Mercury dimes (in the 1970's), but found the lure of world coins too strong to ignore. I live in Massachusetts (moved here from Chicagoland in 2008) and collect pretty much anything, although, in an effort to be disciplined, I am more recently been focusing mostly on Swiss silver coins (with the considerable help of Marcel Haeberling) and German Empire and Weimar coins. This is a great hobby, a wonderful way to learn about the rest of the world and to meet people from other nations. It is also (to be honest) not a bad way to save up for retirement and make a little money!

I have enjoyed this forum immensely and have learned much during my years of lurking. Still much to learn about how to do things on this forum (Private Messaging, posting pictures, etc.) but will have fun trying.

Anyway, greetings to all of you!
  • Options

<< <i>Well, here goes. My first post, hopefully not my last. A lurker for too long, I was convinced by Twokopeiki (at the recent CICF) it was time to step out from behind the curtain. I am a long time collector, who started with Mercury dimes (in the 1970's), but found the lure of world coins too strong to ignore. I live in Massachusetts (moved here from Chicagoland in 2008) and collect pretty much anything, although, in an effort to be disciplined, I am more recently been focusing mostly on Swiss silver coins (with the considerable help of Marcel Haeberling) and German Empire and Weimar coins. This is a great hobby, a wonderful way to learn about the rest of the world and to meet people from other nations. It is also (to be honest) not a bad way to save up for retirement and make a little money!

I have enjoyed this forum immensely and have learned much during my years of lurking. Still much to learn about how to do things on this forum (Private Messaging, posting pictures, etc.) but will have fun trying.

Anyway, greetings to all of you! >>

Welcome!!! image

Great to see you retire that lurker status, Greig!
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Another who has been here a while and never did a post in this thread.

I use my real name as my user name, 26 years old from Dutchess County, New York. The Allergy Capitol of the world, and something like 8th highest UFO sighting location the world over. I'm from this planet, though.

My main interest is NASCAR, my primary hobby is 1/64 diecast replicas of NASCAR cars. Back in 2008, I found my late father's stash of coins (they were balanced against the heater!) and ended up getting a new hobby out of it. It was mostly US coins in the stash.

I collect and love everything. So far I have not found a coin, currency or even stamp that wouldn't be welcome in my collection. With that said I'm not really into NCLTs.

I have very, very little spending money and tend to go months without adding anything to my collection, and the majority of my coins are in the under $20 range. I doubt I'll ever spend into the triple digits for a single coin.

Most of my collection comes from buying bulk lots. I've gotten over a thousand different coins now, from buying or recieving as a gift only 4 bulk lots totalling 10 pounds. As such most of my collection is newer, with 93.15% of my collection being from the 1900s-2010. Of that most of it is post WWII.

I love ancient history and am trying to get into ancient coins, although I have to admit, they have not been anywhere near as easy to figure out as the more modern coins are, even the ones from countries that don't use the same language forms.

I still collect US coins as well, and most of my collection comes from roll searching.

The majority of my collection is nickel, which kind of stinks because I am allergic to the metal, handling the collection for even a couple of hours will cause me some problems, but I love the hobby enough to ignore the pain.

Besides this hobby I spend a lot of time studing history, and I have a preference for European history. Ancient- even better.

I enjoy this hobby a lot, especially as it allows me lots of leeway and something I can do without a lot of standing, walking and bending- I have some mobility issues.

I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive!

I also build scale models. Mainly of cars, but I am just getting into other subjects. I find that I really enjoy figure modeling more than anything else, but I have done a tank, a plane, and am even working on a diorama. My first figure was, what else, a Roman Soldier.

For my coin and currency collection I will not ever limit myself to anything (commonly called a focus) but I tend to find that I am drawn more towards/enjoy more the coins that have the monarch's profile on them, or city/buildings. My least favorites are those that just have letters, like monograms, and nothing else. I am also not a big fan of generic allegorical figures, IE the US coins of yesteryear or the French coins with "The Sower" themes, for example. (Not that this stops me from collecting them- and some of the designs are indeed truly spectacular- I just hate generic generalizations)

Edit to add: I would say that 99% of my collection is circulated. Condition doesn't really matter to me- I'm just happy to have it. The one thing I really don't like though is holes. As long as I can read the country, and the date, I am happy.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    It is really great to see the enthusiasm for collecting by new(er) collectors. I will never forget my local coin dealer (who became quite successful and has four shops now) who spent hours and hours of her time with me going through junk boxes, teaching me how to grade (I wish I paid better attention) and just being a good friend to a young kid. Even when she knew my budget was the $15 in my pocket, she had no problem pulling out a $20 St. Gaudens and letting me look at it, compare it to others and ask him questions for as long as I liked.

I'd like to say thanks to all of my friends on here. I wish I had as much to contribute as some of our esteemed members. Everyone has been great to me here. I found these forums and posted on this thread when I was in the middle of a divorce and having a really rough time. This forum gave me joy and something to look forward to when I couldn't be with my daughter or find anything to put a smile on my face.

I'm glad to be in a better place and I am glad that the people here where there six years ago. (And are still here, hopefully.)
  • Options

Welcome, Greig! I'm sure some of these guys can give you help with posting pics or sending PMs if you have trouble with it. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.image

BillyKingsley - I don't think I've heard of anyone who's allergic to nickel before. Bummer... I guess you'll have to stick with silver and gold.image

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Heh, I wish! Will never be able to afford gold and silver is pretty much out of my price range too these days. At least there's copper...
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I'm Jeff, I'm younger than Wybrit (which isn't sying much from the sounds of it), I'm descended from John Cameron (Founder of the Cameronites) on my mothers side, and Franz Anton Mesmer (invented the idea of Mesmerism) on my fathers side so we have a long history of insanity on our family. I work in the deepwater oil and gas business after about 25 years in the defense industry.

My main collecting interest is Great Britain, but I have a small collection of German States and Swiss coins I add to when a pretty coin shows up.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi I'm Steve, and I'm a crowns of the Americasoholic, or anything that strikes my fancyimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    To quote , Bailathacl, “Without this forum's unique blend of comraderie, information, good humor and love of the hobby, I never would have become an avid darkside collector. Given the subsequent hours and money I have devoted to world coins since then, it is fair to say that this forum has definitely altered my life. (Somewhere, someplace, I hear Askari chuckling.) The people here are wonderful and I thank you all.” I’m glad to hear that the Dark Side continues to live in the spirit in which I helped found it! And, yes, the chuckling continues … and just as wryly as ever! image

While I’ve been off in yeti land, my collecting has been negligible. Mostly it has focused on my two primary collections, German East African coinage (in BU) and Philippine Guerrilla Notes (in CU or as nice as I can find them). Both are slow movers as I’ve pretty much only rarities left in both. With kids approaching college now, that will probably remain so for quite some time.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Ga!Bang!!image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Wow, the Yeti of yetis has made an appearance! I thought I'd never see you again over here, Mark! How have you been?!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Overworked, medium-paid, and other than that pretty much without a life of my own. image
    Askari

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    Askari back?? image

Glad you are alive and well.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    Glad my quote had even the slightest bit to do with flushing you out Mark, welcome back...!
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    Great to hear from you Mark. Don't be a stranger.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Strange, yes, but never stranger!image
    Askari

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    'Tis good to see Mark posting again!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Let's see some more new members!
  • Options
    My name is Cory, I'm 29, I've been working for PCGS Currency since '08 and I dove headfirst into ancients this year image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    Hi. I'm Joe. Married with two sons in college and two sons in high school.
    My focus is 1925-1938 Lithuanian coins in mint state.

I can only say I am in awe of the coins I see here. I do not post
    much as the collections here are so diverse and overwhelming.
    So I am content to take it all in and enjoy the exposure to things
    I have never seen.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I'm still Michael.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>I'm still Michael. >>

and still boring. image

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, please do post - we do not bite here!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm still Michael. >>

and still boring. image >>

likewise!image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Thank you.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello My name is Dan. I ve been collecting since 1959 when I was 9.

I use to be a coinaholic but recently trying to get more focused which is hard to do for me as I collect lightside and darkside and buy whatever appeals to me.

Still I have dramatically slowed my purchases the last couple years.

Sometimes I get flashes I want to sell my coins and sometimes I get flashes I want to greatly increase my collection.......so go figure.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Welcome Joe and Cory!
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    Overdue?

My name is Frank and I've been a collector since about 2005 when I won 2k at Atlantic City and decided to buy myself a gold Saint, which I'd always wanted (Back when gold was cheap) Since then I've gotten into US type and out again, picking up stuff that looks weird, new or otherwise interesting to me. I've always been attracted to World because every time you turn around there's something new to see. You seen design themes and inspirations crisscrossing the globe, influencing and interacting with each-other, in superficial ways but also on the deepest philosophical levels.

I don't have a specific interest nowadays but I like big silver coins (who doesn't?). I will range around to anything that catches my eye. Contemporary holed coins: No penalty, esp if it affects price in my favor! If I had a niche favorite it'd be counterstamped/countermarked appropriated, revaluated and weird issues, like siege or temp issues. basically anything out of the "conventional" distribution route. it shows how real life impacts something that's meant to symbolize the most concrete and implicitly valuable in life: money!

I currently own 1 ancient won as a giveaway on this forum image

It's been my pleasure to read posts in the world forum whom, as a group, I consider the both genteel and thoughtful!

Since I've posted here, I've gotten married, had kids, bought my first real home. I've taken ill-advised numismatic beatings and reaped completely unanticipated rewards. I've seen great people come and go. I've seen jerks come and go too... but the great people outnumber the jerks 100:1 .... I look forward to what's next!
  • Options
    Holy crap! Spinaker? Man! Good to see you posting!