Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Meet the Darksiders......DPOTD

Many of us have been on the forum for several years now, and have become good friends. There are so many new members, I thought it would be nice to have an introduction from each Darksider to get more aquainted. Just a brief statement about what you collect, your other interest and life in general. I'll start it off.

My name is Terry. I collect halfpennies from GB and all British Commonwealths. Not 1/2 cents. They must say half penny or 1/2d on the coin. I am currently working on an UNC GB set from 1895-1970. (Lots of holes to fill). I am also doing a date run of South Africa 1/2ds from 1923- 1960 in UNC and Proof.
I work for my cities Parks and Rec. as a Park Attendant. My family and I live in a 409 acre Park, with trails, lakes, campground, picnic shelters, pool and boat rentals. image

next!!
Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders

Comments

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    My name is Tom, I'm 55 (image), and used to be strictly liteside ... until I found this place and you fine people. I still have my U.S. Type Set (lacking 3 coins to complete it - 1800 to present) but my current loves are building a Canadian Type Set (Dansco Album) and a British Type Set from Victoria to the beginning of decimal coinage (about 1971). Major focus right now is Victorian coinage, and UK Specimen sets (just got the 1950, 1953 and 1937).

I will expand the British collection to older dates starting within the next year or two. I have purchased several other Darkside coins from a variety of countries just because I love the designs.

I am grateful to all of the folks here who have been, and continue to be so helpful and friendly. 'Twas you folks who got me to love the Darkside

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Hi, I'm Brad. I collect all affordable (mostly <$10) world coins, generally 1800+. I have quite a few date runs, type sets and most countries after about 35 years of the hobby. I live in boring but quiet southwestern Virginia and currently am a Lab Tech at a plant that makes most of the propellant for medium to large caliber military ordnance. There's more on my web site (links below) as well as a list of extras (coins and notes) I've accumulated.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Good idea Terry - My name is John but I go by oldshep. I collect coins with ship designs, big cats and eagles, Mexico and South American and Canadian. I also collect anything I think looks good. I also love silver. I am retired after 25 years as a quality/process engineer at an aluminum rolling mill. I live in the Spokane, Washington area - a beautiful area of pines, mountains and lakes.
    I enjoy this forum and the members that post here - the attitude is always accepting and laid back.image
    Shep
  • Options
    Hi, my name is Vern. I collect anything that covers the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic eras, 1789-1815. Mostly medals though and whatever cheap coinage from the period comes my way. image When I discovered that no one really was interested in me droning on about my medals and coins I knew what to put on my personal page on the web; and that grew to my website, Napoleonic Medals.

I started out to be a history teacher and spent the past twenty-five years programming computers instead. I live in the Los Angeles area and can usually be found at the Long Beach shows and the Glendale coin club meetings. Like most people here I like the attitude, the smarts and the people here on the darkside.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Neato!!!

My name is Cecil and I am 42 (but not for very much longer....). I live in the Dallas metroplex and work as a software engineer for a small start-up company.

I collect anything that is copper/bronze. Currently working on the following sets:
    1. South African copper ships from 1923-1960 (all three denominations - 1/4d, 1/2d and 1d)
    2. Guernsey pre-decimal coppers
    3. 20th century African copper type set (all copper types from all countries in Africa)
    4. British half-penny ships from 1937-1970
    5. Toned South Africa proof coppers from 1951-2000.
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    My name is Dan..I collect Beauty on round objectsimage Primary coin collections are Big Cats , BBL's, Cars, US Gold pre-1933, Dmpl Morgans, and Vickies around the world,,,Please, this POOR obsesive-compulsive needs serious helpimage

My other interests are Classic Cars and Bowling, and Motorcycle riding. I have been a retired Navy Officer since 1982, and live in Central Florida.
  • Options
    Hi my name is Bill and I am a coinoholic. image I have been around this place for a very long time. My current main interest in collecting are Conder Tokens and close second are Karl Goetz patterns. I also collect Modern £2 Silver and 1/4 ounce Proof gold Britannias. After that any thing that has a great design that catches my eye.

As an aside to the coin collecting I also love to take pictures of them and post them here as well as on my website. ( See sig line link )

I currently work as a Manufacturing Engineer at Sikorsky A/C on the final assembly line in Connecticut.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Well here goes:
    I am Tony ( 56 years ) I have just taken early retirement after 30+ years as a Mathematics teacher ( 11 - 18 years ). I am spending my time between supply teaching ( I have a daughter finishing University to support ) and expanding my EBay sales.

I collect Manx coins/ tokens pre 1839, Newfoundland, Canada and various US sets ( will be thinning these over the next few months! ). I have just started collecting the other British Isles ( pre decimal ).
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello.

My name is Ken. 57 years young and for the time being not working but just getting the place in shape that was purchased about a year ago in Eastern Oregon. I suppose someone should tell me to "Get a Job" besides my wife. Oh yea. The wife and I have been married for over 30 years. The two boys are grown and we left them in Portland when the place was bought in Eastern Oregon.

Being a switch hitter, both lightside and darkside, no real main interest has formed for the darkside yet. Pretty coins from everywhere will do just fine. In all reality I just do not want to be confined like I have been with Merc Dimes. The spice of life needs to set in.

Other interests include cars, mid 60's Fords, small mouth bass fishing, on the Majestic Columbia River, golf, which should be given up and life in general.

Ken
  • Options
    I'm Simon, aged 20 from England, currently a history student who unlike most people my age who blow all their Student loans on drinking and having a night on the town, or on renting accomodation, what money is left over after fees and travel expenses have been deducted goes primarily on coins and has kept my buying nice high level coins for a few years now; but since i'm in my last year, i'm making plans to move back to more realistic levels that i was on pre-2002.

So my collecting focus is (soon to be was);

1) Early milled British sixpences 1674-1787 (with particular focus on the Charles II issue of 1674-84)
    2) Henry VI Annulet issue set from Noble down to farthing.
    3) One coin per English monarch (Æthelred II - Charles I)

And moving into more budget collecting spheres;

4) BU raw blast white Washington Quarters 1950-1964 (P mint)
    5) Nazi German coins 1933-1945 from Berlin Mint
    6) Machin obverse UK bronze coins in BU with lustre 1971-84
    7) UK 10p pieces 1992-present
    8) French 10th Ecu pieces, Louis XVI 1773-1790 From the Paris mint in VF or near to

Nothing else i can think of, the Machin bronze collection and the 10p pieces shouldn't take too long.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Hello, my name is Tom. ajaan (Don) has been trying to guess my age for some time now, so it remains a secret.image Born in Wyoming, I moved around through several towns in Wyoming and Montana before my father's oil company offered him a job in Sumatra (yes, the one hit by the quake). While there, he purchased a large number of crown sized silver pieces at bullion value.

Next stop was Libya (pre Muammar) for a hot three months. If anyone here ever gets a chance to visit the Roman ruins in that country, they are a must see - unbelievable. That is why up until recently I had a large cache of monarchy Libyan coinage.

On to England, where I spent ten years living in Great Yarmouth, London and a suburb outside London known as Beaconsfield. In Great Yarmouth, my father gave me a handful of British Whitman albums and a price guide and off I went to find the 1933 and 1954 pennies, the 1937 (Ediie VIII) 3d and the 1952 halfcrown. Never found them, of course. I did think at the time that farthings and 3ds were especially cool, becasue they were not found in circulation. I even liked the Churchill crown then. image

Then there came the long layoff from collecting coins. Some time later, shortly after I married my lovely wife, I discovered the local coin shop and a beautiful 1950 GB proof set. That began the hunt again. British coins were so easy to get in high grade, almost anywhere then.

I pulled out the whole album I once had. Every last coin was utterly destroyed by the PVC the pockets contained.image That is, except a miracle survivor 1901 farthing, my only old system UNC coin at the time.

ajaan shuold be asleep by now, so I will stop.

PS yes, ajaan, I am younger than you, old chap. One of these days I will prove that fact to you!!image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>409 acre Park, with trails, >>

Ha! and none are marked. image

<< <i>Hello, my name is Tom. ajaan (Don) has been trying to guess my age for some time now, so it remains a secret. >>

I have it narrowed down to younger than dirt and older than me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    please discontinue the blatent attempt to hijack this most serious thread!!image Mushroom!!image Tell us the story of Bingo Greentoes!!!!
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tell us the story of Bingo Greentoes!!!! >>

I'll leave that up to the dead king.

I'm Don and I live in a northern suburb of Buffalo, NY. I try to teach mathematics to 7th and 8th grade students. I lived in Thailand for 5 years but don't collect Thai coins. I'm trying to put together a date set of circulating Canadian coins from the 1c to $1. I am about 75% complete.

I also collect South African Proof sets and have been known to pick up the occasional British proof set also. Any coin that strikes my fancy is fair game.

I'm married to a school teacher and have one son and one step son, both available to go live with any member of this forum ( they are teenagers).

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    This is a neat idea Terry!

My name is Michael and I am 33 years old and I work at a coin shop. I enjoy reading and early a.m. jogs.

I collect pre Victoria British coins, everything from the ancient Celts and Romans to milled coins from the early 1800s, but I have a special interest in the coins and tokens issued during the reign of George III. I am also thinking about starting a collection of French coins, but don't know if that will ever really happen.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Howdy! My name is Pam - alias Neptune or WoodstoK' - depending upon where I am and what I'm doing. image

I am an unemployed Composing Artist/Graphics and Typographer. I worked in the advertising/print industry for about 15 years - and also at several libraries - thus my attachment to - and collecting of - books.

But those were the dayze - I have now moved from the city to a small farm/10 acres in rural East Texas - and have chickens, ducks, guineas, Silkies, and dwarf/miniature goats which we raise for fun and profit - and eggs. I also am trying to start my own nursery/plant/seed business and do a lot of gardening. (I am also a big rockhound, and have a nice gem/mineral collection.)

As far as darkside coins - I am new to that, and just got my first Krause 1900-present catalog and have been going 'goo goo ga ga' at all of the old and wonderful coin designs. Pinpointing my interest at this point seems impossible due to the great eclectic choices - BUT, I do lean towards angels, butterflies, animals, fish, ships and anything nautical due to my Dad, son and hubby being Navy veterans (and actually being born under the planet of Neptune) ...... but mostly silver coins. I also like to collect birthdates of family members - especially my 12.3 grandhildren. I still collect lightside coins as well.

Like they say in East Texas - "I appreciate ya'll". I enjoy reading and learning what I can/when I can. Sorry if this was a little wordy. image

(p.s. I also stole OldShep's photo image for my icon, but did eventually buy the coin.) image

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The real story of Ajaan:

In a hole in the ground there lived an ajaan. Not a tidy, clean, dry hole, filled with fine furnishings, nor a warm cozy hole with soft chairs to sit down on: it was an ajaan hole, and that means filth.

This ajaan was a not very well-to-do ajaan, and his name was Bingo Greentoe. The Greentoes had lived in this hole for time out of mind, and people considered them very un-respectable, not only because they were dirty and poor, but because they had very bad manners. The Greentoes never had any adventures, not because they didn't care to, but because no wizard or dwarf would stop by their shabby ajaan hole. This is the story of how bingo Greentoe almost had an adventure.

One day bingo Greentoe awoke to a knock on his door, which was perfectly round, unpainted and falling off it's hinges. bingo jumped out of bed, which was really only a pile of straw on his muddy floor, and triped over a pile of cheap malt liquor bottles on his way to the door. Cursing and drunk bingo answered the door. To his suprise it was not the police, but a tall wizard dressed in gray. The wizard looked down at the dirty little ajaan and said sternly "bingo Greentoe, you are drunk and half naked, put on your trousers!" bingo stumbled back to his pile of dirty straw cursing as he went and found his trousers. He then returned to the wizard and said "I shall be taking Halfpenny ale at 4 p.m., will you join me?" The disgusted wizard said "I should rather be turned to stone and used as a perch for filthy pigeons, good day Sire Greentoe!" bingo remained very drunk and poor to the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily short.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>...One day bingo Greentoe awoke to a knock on his door, which was perfectly round, unpainted and falling off it's hinges. bingo jumped out of bed, which was really only a pile of straw on his muddy floor, and triped over a pile of cheap malt liquor bottles on his way to the door. Cursing and drunk bingo answered the door. To his suprise it was not the police, but a tall wizard dressed in gray. The wizard looked down at the dirty little ajaan and said sternly "bingo Greentoe, you are drunk and half naked, put on your trousers!" bingo stumbled back to his pile of dirty straw cursing as he went and found his trousers. He then returned to the wizard and said "I shall be taking Halfpenny ale at 4 p.m., will you join me?" The disgusted wizard said "I should rather be turned to stone and used as a perch for filthy pigeons, good day Sire Greentoe!" bingo remained very drunk and poor to the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily short. >>

Sounds like home... image
  • Options
    Hey,

My name is Jeff. I am 20 (21 in March). I am a Junior at the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire where I am currently pursuing a History major with intent to eventually teach it. I am a Manager at the local Blockbuster Video here in Eau Claire and have been with the company for 3 years. I enjoy the job because of the free rentals, and the access to 3 cash registers of coins and currency. I am mainly a liteside collector. I started collecting when I came across my dad's whitman folders in our basement when I was 14. They were all about a third of the way completed. He had started them as a kid and had not touched them in close to 30 years and said I could have them and try to finish them if I wanted. I have gotten most of them down to just key dates and some of the silver quarters from the 30's and 40's. Not too shabby considering I have pulled 90% of them from circulation and going threw rolls upon rolls from the banks. Now that I have done that I am branching towards Kennedy Proof's and Canadian coins. As some of you have seen before I am working on a modern circ set of canadian coins that I could put together similar to my liteside collections. I also dabble with darkside coinage and will buy a darkside coin if it looks interesting or catched my eye. (The more pictures you guys post, the more I want world coins!!!) That about sums me up for now, but as you can see I am mostly collecting from circulation because of the expenses that come along with college. If anybody is working on a similar set of circulated canadian modern coins please let me know because maybe we can trade to aquire different coins that we need. I also dabble a bit with Mexican coinage and some coins from nations in the caribbean (My parents vacation quite often in these locales and bring me home little baggies of coins and currency with each trip. They favor the islands of Jamacia and the Dominican Republic.)

I really enjoy this forum because it is a bit more peaceful than the liteside and everyone here is so helpful and outgoing. Please keep up with posting so many beautiful coins from around the world, I never get sick of looking at them.

Jeff
    I collect bits and pieces of everything
    or should I say I ACCUMULATE!
    I also dabble with the darkside image

Ive recently gotten more into currency, especially modern star notes
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    I'm Mark. 51 years old, with a 3 year old daughter and no energy. I work in the Natural Gas Industry, in the transportation end. I live in Southeastern Michigan.
    My main collecting interest is now in Conder Tokens, specifically, or any medal that can somehow tie into my collection. I am fairly new to Darkside collecting, and though I have a few other Darkside coins that captured my eye, it's mostly Conders. I now have 24 or so Spence Conders and a few others.
    I mainly started collecting raw Carson City Morgans and gold. I have a few slabbed Morgans, but my gold is all raw. This collection was started by my Great Grandfather and has been passed down through my family for generations. Upgraded now and then when I find a worthy coin. Some of the coins were picked from the CC mint by my great grandfather who lived and worked in Carson City.
    But I am now a hooked Darksider.
    I especially enjoy the congeniality of the members of the Dark image
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    My name is Bill and I live in central Wisconsin, where I have worked as a coal fired power plant operator for 20+ years. I am married and have three teenagers.

I am on my second bout of coin collecting...the first came to an end in 1980 when at the age of 19, found that my collection was worth enough to drink on for quite some time. Getting back into the hobby about six years ago, I now collect just about anything and everything, having never had enough restraint to limit myself to a certain coin or country. I buy and sell coins as my tastes change and also enjoy history, flea markets, antique shops, and other collectibles. I would also enjoy hunting and fishing, but with the teenagers, have not gotten out for a few years.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    I'm Kyle. I am 18 years old. I live in Tell City, IN. I am currently collecting any darkside coins that catch my eye. I was working on building a Franklin Half set but I have put that adventure on the back burner for a while ever since I found the beauty of the darkside all thinks to Carl. Thanks again for introducing me to the beauty that I had been missing, Carl.image
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm Chuck, and I'm a coinaholic. image

I collect Brazilian, British (and empire), Italian and Middle Eastern coins, plus others that catch my eye. I have been collecting darkside coins since I lived in Ethiopia as a teen-ager and started getting my hands on some very interesting old coins with lions on them (see my icon for an example), along with WWII-era Italian ones. Lately I've been losing interest in my liteside collection, and most of the coins are going on the auction block once I find the time to inventory and catalog them.

I work as an editor for an international news agency, teach college journalism part-time, and I'm married to a student filmmaker. Once she becomes self-supporting, I'm going to quit my job and write books, and maybe get a PhD in history.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My name is Clad, 32 years old. I collect U.S. Capped Bust Half Dimes and a rather somewhat uncoordinated Darkside collection.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm Andy and my dog is Aki. I make my living as a lightside dealer. Aki is currently unemployed.

My primary interest in the darkside is as a collector, with a passionate focus on Central American Republic gold and all coins of the Mexican War for Independence.

I also dabble as a dealer in world coins, usually by representing collectors at auction. Although I'm not an expert in world coins, I have a great eye, good instincts and I travel extensively. So I tend to come home from my overseas trips with a lot of very cool coins.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    My name is Josh. My primary collecting interest is East Asian coinage from about the 1860's through the 1940's but I have a fair amount of cast coinage from Korea and China that goes back well before that. I also collect interwar German issues, post-war pre-Euro French, pre-war Italian, and an array of US and Candian stuff. I have been contemplating moves into Polish and Irish coins as well..... I am finding that most 1920's-1930's European coins a wonderful.

• Options
    Hi everyone!

My name is Susan and I've been married to my wonderful husband for 19 years. I started out collecting US coins, even as a kid, but added Canadian and some other countries about four years ago. I also like to collect some themed coins such as ships, flowers, and animals. I like copper coins a lot!

This forum is my favorite...everyone is so friendly, helpful, tolerant, and knowledgeable. I've grown really fond of many of the people here over the years. Askari was the first to welcome me to the World Forum image I'm looking forward to being part of it for a very long time. I enjoy a few other hobbies, but coin collecting is my favorite.

I've lived in Northern Virginia since 1980, but was born and raised in Pennsylvania, and graduated Penn State U. with a B.A. in Economics (along with
    an equivalent minor in Spanish). I didn't use my degree except to help me with everyday life. My husband and I both own a very small real estate title
    examining business, and have for years. My ability to buy coins is usually directly proportional to how well our business is going. The business is very cyclical and many times dependent on how the interest rate is currently doing.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    My name is Becky. I live in Grand Junction, Colorado, it's high desert surrounded by mountains. I work as a mechanic at a local hospital. I grew up in a small town in Wyoming.

I was a Morgan collector exclusively until I found this place. image Now thanks to all the good people here, I have found the light (I mean darkimage)

Thanks to my good friend Phut, I have my first Krause and have ruined it already by drooling all over it. I love Swiss coins, for some reason they speak to me, but I have no real focus here on the Darkside, at this point I am still buying anything that appeals to me. That has no limiting factor whatsoever. I want one of everything.

There are so many kind and wonderful people here, thank you all so much. I have learned so much, and with your help, have so much more to learn and enjoy.
    Becky
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

My name is Rob. I am 52, married, and have three kids (a boy 26 and girls 18 & 14). I am a civil engineer and work as the public works director & city engineer for a bedroom city of 70,000 souls about 30 miles east of L.A.

I have always collected both liteside and darkside coinage. I grew up in Maine so collecting both U.S. and Canadian coins seems pretty natural. We used to get lots of Canadian coins in pocket change there. Last year I completed a Buffalo nickel set in XF-AU. I put it away and now concentrate my full efforts in two grey or dark areas:

1. Canadian large cents - I am working on two sets here. The first is a Victorian registry set in mint state (click on my sigline). The second is a Victorian set, with the most notable varieties (all of the obverses, low 9's, far 6's etc.) in AU.

2. A darkside set of WWII coinage of governments-in-exile (Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, etc.), occupation coinage (France, Norway, etc.), and countries/places that went away after the war (Slovakia, Lodz ghetto, etc.).

I really like working on both sets and like discussing them and sharing pictures with the members of this board.

Rob
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    My name is David and according to conventional reckoning I am 50 years young. In reality I'm still 14 image While I have some type of title at work, I am, and always have been, just a computer programmer. My job sends me to assorted countries on an all too frequent basis, and has for the last 25+ years, so my interest in world coinage is somewhat understandable. I have 2 sons, 24 and 15, a graduation picture of my oldest is on my ME page on eBay. image

I have several collections going - British 1806-1970 non-gold by date with an emphasis on farthings, Conder tokens, One per country/political reform/monetary reform 1800+, 19th century medals - especially those depicting European Cathedrals, commemorative 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 Kroner coins from Denmark and Sweden, and accumulations of coins from countries that I have worked in.

I also root for Arsenal, the best football club in England. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Howdy - name is Doug, I'm a construction superintendent in Utah and I've been collecting since 1960. The main focus of my collection was US coinage, primarily original Proof & Mint sets. But in the early '70s I got hooked on Spanish colonial. It took quite a while, but I finally gave up on US coins and now collect only world coinage. I have a strong weakness for gold but won't pass up nice silver image

I'm not really a set collector, never have been. But I am working on a date set of Netherlands gold ducats - about 1/4 of the way there now. To my knowledge nobody's ever done it before - figured I'd try to be the first image I also collect French coinage with a fondness for the Royal coins & up to early 20th century. But if I see something I like - I buy it.

I don't belong to a local coin club - just never seem to have the time with my schedule. But I go to shows when I can, am a member of the ANA and a member & Newsletter Editor of WINS - World Internet Numismatic Society.
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello,

I'm Gene - and I, too, am a coinaholic. I am primarily a Greyside collector concentrating on pre-QEII date sets. Most are complete so I've been working on upgrading. I also collect Canadian Colonial Tokens by variety as listed by Charlton. This set will never be completed (unless I hit the Powerball) as many pieces are unique and unavailable to private collectors. But I enjoy the hunt and currently have about 400 different varieties of the approx 630 listed in Charlton.

I consider myself semi retired from liteside collecting after completing my Frankie + JFK sets, but do keep up with the modern commems.

My Darkside collection consists of 2 sets:
    1. World proof/mint sets, essais/prova/proba, etc dated 1960. There were only 17 countries that issued proof and/or mint sets in 1960 totalling 25 sets. However 81 countries issued a combination of circulation strike, individual proof strikes, essais, provas, patterns, etc totalling 634 different pieces.
    2. World type set of circulating silver crowns from about 1800 to present in VF or better.

Gene

BTW - Terry, great idea on this thread. I nominate you for DPOTD. Do I hear a second?
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    and maybe get a PhD in history.

I second that emotion. image

Hi, my Japanese name is Shiroh, so that's what I go by here. At last count I was about 163 years old. My wife and I have a daughter who will soon be five, and I'm trying to recruit her into coin collecting.

My primary interest in coins comes from my love of history. I started collecting US coins when I was about 8 or 9. That lasted until I was about 16, and I came back to serious collecting in 1998. At that time I became interested in US trade dollars. That expanded to US 20 cent pieces and silver crowns used in Asian trade (esp. in the 19th century). My childhood trips to Canada every few years to see my grandparents got me into Canadian coins, so I am working on a complete type set and a high grade George V type set. I am also collecting a commonwealth George V type set of silver coins (from 3d to crown). My world 20 cent piece equivalent set from 1875 through 1878 is nearly complete, and I will use it in my planned book on US 20 cent pieces. Perhaps I will find the time and money to work on my US transition year type set again, but now US coins seem too pricey for me. A nice adjunct to my US collecting has been coins of the Philippines from Spanish colonial through US commonwealth times (19th century through 1945). I have one set for my Whitman album (thanks, Tonelover) and a high grade set in sl*bs.

Once I finish my career (I currently sell Infiniti cars), I hope to get my PhD in 16th century Japanese military history (esp. fortifications).
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options

<< <i>Once I finish my career (I currently sell Infiniti cars), >>

That's a nice pun image

My name is Philip, I am 25 and I am from Sofia, Bulgaria. I am currently unemployed (sigh) and I'm looking for a job. Yesterday I was interviewed at PricewaterhouseCoopers for the position of Management Accountant at Coca Cola Bulgaria. We'll see what comes out of that.

Like Brad I collect primarily modern low-priced coins but have my interest in older pieces, too. As a result my collection is extremely unfocused and many would call it an accumulation but I enjoy it that way image My favorite areas are Sweden and Austria and I'm still looking for my first cantonal Swiss piece image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    Hi

My name is Harold and I work for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (F.A.O.)

I live in Italy with my wife and two kids who are about to fly the coop.

I do not post very often to this forum but I read it constantly and find it extremely interesting.

I am responsible for the Money and Medal Programme at the Organization.

Over the years many countries (about 180) have issued F.A.O. coins (starting in 1968 and up to 2000). We have a large stock of many of these coins issued in the 1980s and 1990s and a few earlier ones.

In my own personal collection I think that I have nearly all FAO coins issued (apart from the very rare gold ones).

These coins could be of interest to many collectors here as apart from having FAO on each coin they also have such items as ships, animals, trees, plants etc. All are UNC. or or silver proof

I am at present cataloguing them in the above categories and will post these here soon.

In the meantime if anybody is interested in any particular FAO coin please PM me.
  • Options
    Hi,

my name is Dimitri and I was born in Athens, Greece.After high school, I've spent about a decade in Switzerland, Brussels and London studying architecture and town planning ,then I returned to Greece for my military service after which I started working in architectural offices in Athens and the island of Santorini where I also worked as a radio dj, a hobby that has now been abandonned. Recently I have opened up my own practice in the center of Athens,and things have become much more enjoyable and complicated at the same time. I'm interested and attracted by various Eastern alternative philosophies, I practice yoga and martial arts for my mental and physical health, I'm 44 and definetely aware that I'm way too immature for my age. image I' ve been a collector of various things but mostly coins, on and off for about 25 years now. I have a collection of high grade 19th and 20th century Greek coins,a Swiss type set and a few more odds and ends, but my interests and general view of the hobby have vastly changed during the past two years.The Darkside is my favourite place in the cyberworld, I have made a lot of new friends here,some of which I've already met in person and I'm looking forward to more such meetings in the future,mostly during US coin shows that I plan to attend.

I also enjoy posting as Syracusian's alt ID. image

edited to update

Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Hi! My name is Jester and I'm in my mid-30s. I too am a serious coinaholic, having allowed the monkey to jump on my back at the tender age of 5 or 6, egged on by my older brother's Red Book and Whitman albums. When my family moved to Germany in 1980, I started collecting "Darkside" coins since it was a bit difficult to go through American change at that point. I continued to pick out nice coins and error coins from circulation, regardless of whether I was in Europe, Korea, or the States. I still have this habit today; one day I'll have to try to go through all those thousands of coins to make an attempt to catalog the errors, and perhaps set aside some of the rare Liteside coins from the 80s for sl*bbing and selling. I spent virtually all of the money I earned while working in college on investment grade Liteside silver (Morgans, Lincoln cents, SLQs, WLHs, and others). Unfortunately, a horrible fate befell these coins as they were left in a hot salty humid and PVC-enshrouded environment for 5 years by one of my relatives, and hence all developed moon-style pitting. Moving on, and back in Europe, I started building a diversified--can we say, unfocused?--collection of medieval Polish and other world coins. I found this site about 3 years ago and have found it extremely informative and peopled with friendly and knowledgeable experts.

Welcome all new Darksiders!! May the Force cointinue with you.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Hello!

My favorite collection are the coins in the US Philippine series, those lovely coins minted by the US between 1903 and 1945 inclusive. I stumbled upon them in Manila, and found them extraordinarily interesting and challenging.

I have a foot in the lightside as well as dark side and have high-ranking registry sets in the Shield Nickels, Jefferson Full Steppers, Roosies, and Standing Liberty Quarters. But the funny thing is, that as much fun as I've had building these Registry Sets, I think the whole Registry Set business is a crock. Some time or another I'll have to start a thread about that on the light side.

To feed my passion for coins, I write advertising copy. I love my kids and am a passionate dada. I live in Bangkok and love walking and aikido. I don't give my name out because I sometimes travel in kidnap prone areas of the world and figure a low-profile can only increase my safety.

Enjoy yourselves!

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Hi my name is Mike.

Presently I collect mostly Germanic coins 1700 - present. Right now I am all over the board on what I collect, but am trying to narrow it down to a certain era. I have had a special interest on the Osnabruck area, so this is a good place to start.

Also, I do have a Roosie dime registry set, but got tired of spending big money on the same coin design. I have alot of US modern coinage, with special interest in dimes, such as barbers.

I have just made the move from Austin, TX, and currently reside in the Northern Kentucky / Cincinnati, OH area.

I appreciate all the advice and neat posts from everyone.
  • Options
    My name is Kevin. I like to collect gold coins, from all over the world. I'll be 17 this feburary.
  • Options
    AvarelAvarel Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Good Afternoon, my name is Cary and I've now determined I'm younger then Wybrit AND Farthing up here in the tundra lands. My collecting is focused squarely on UK silver 3d and those of its commonwealths.
    Chirsto duce vincamus

Pro Deo Et Patria
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    My given name is Alfredo but most call me Freddie. I collect mostly gold, some platinum and a few silver in the @ 1 troy ounce size. Mostly modern as most older coins go for much more premium. Used to live in FL but now in TX. Just turned 31 (hex) last month. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

My name is Jeff. I am 20 (21 in March). I am a Junior at the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire where I am currently pursuing a History major with intent to eventually teach it.

I have a degree in ancient history. Trust me, keep your day job.image

I live in the Atlanta area and am a 58 (soon to be 59) year old retired plastic process engineer. I have an avid (some say pathological) interest in history. I don't collect coins as such but I like to pick up the odd knick-knack from whatever historical period I'm reading. Since I have 2000+ plus history books in the living room almost anything strikes my fancy.
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • Options
    Thanks Terry,
    I collect, Greyside; 5c, 25c, 50c, uncirculated sets, Colonial Tokens. I collect by KM # any darkside coin I have about 2300 at present. And anything interesting. I always enjoy this site, I'm here every day mostly lurking.

My name is Lyle, I'm a seasonal worker, as a traffic control technition. I consider myself, to be a young collector, I can prove that by the type, and number of mistakes I've made along the way. Having said that I'll be celabrating my 50th next month. (sure doesn't feel like it)
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Tim, 42, So. NH. I came here last April looking for advice on something I found and got hooked. Money was for spending. I never thought of the art work and history that comes with the shiney little metal things. Since then I've amassed a good sized pile from all over the world from BC to modern. I like the variety. I'm not a light or darksider.. more of a Krausesider+.
    Carpenter/ painter/electronic tech/electrician/Civil Engineer/Musician. I haven't figured out what I want to be IF I grow up.
    Been in the same band for 15 years. We play mostly originals from soft rock to hard jazz and everything in between.
    Other hobbies include metal detecting(or looking at other peoples finds, on the MD forum, until spring thaw), golf, card collecting(newbie there also), exploring the woods, reading world news, and hanging out here.
  • Options
    I'm Darkhorse. My real name is Phil. I'm 24 and I've been collecting since I was 13. My interest in the hobby was reborn in 2001 and I've gone through several collections. I usually collect pieces that I find artistically pleasing, but this can be difficult given my budget.

My interest in the hobby may take a back seat indefinitely for a few years as I don't have room for it, nor can I really justify the costs. I know darkside collecting can be done on the cheap but I just can't get into cheap coins. I lose interest straight away. I have a new computer to buy (or possibly lease) and I'm going to go to the UK to do design work and set up a life for myself there.
  • Options
    Hello everyone ... my name is Douglas ... and I'm a coinaholic... image

I'll be 49 in Feb and I'm still surprised to be here, never thought I'd live past 33.
    I have a passion for military history, am a retired US Coast Guard Radiomen with 22 years active service and 4 years active reserve. "PuddlePirate" is a slang term the squids (US Navy) used to call us Coasties, and I thought it apt for my user name here.

I have been a Kodiak City 911 emergency, Police and Fire department dispatcher since my retirement in 2000.

I am lightsider who turned into a "peeping tom lurker" who turned into a darksider image

I am pretty much unfocused. I collect Penguins, Named Ship Coins, and anything else that catches my fancy. I have a nice collection of Ancient Roman Republic/imperial coinage that I cleaned myself although I do buy an already cleaned peice upon ocassion. I have a large selection of liteside coinage and world coinage. For now I am just playing and having fun, although I am considering doing a "World Penguin Proof Set" very strongly (do you guys think I can get a "registry" approval on that?) image

The people here have been great. I do post on the liteside but "very carefully" there are some really touchy people over there that need some anger management counseling. image That is something I have not encountered on the darkside. The photographs are simply incredible! Thanks to all of you who welcomed me aboard.
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, PP, I retired out the CG in 1995 with 20 years.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    Bosox - See there is life after the Guard image

I left in Oct 2000 and haven't looked back since, no regrets. I have seen every part of Alaska that touches the ocean and a heck of alot of the interior, something I would not have done if I hadn't crewed in some of the worst water and weather in the world. My last ship was the Yocona WMEC168 - Queen of the fleet lovingly referred to as the "Iron B*tch of the Bering Sea". There are times when I think about how beautiful the sea was on those still nights when the Bering lay flat as a mirror and reflected the night sky flawlessly, and then I remember the storms and those 80-120 foot waves that battered us sensless for days on end and I think I am really glad to be ashore!
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave