Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crossover or Crackout And Submit Raw

image This coin is eligible for for the Collectors Club Quarterly Submission. I have only submitted one coin to be graded so I have very little experience submitting coins. I want this coin to be in a PCGS holder. Would a higher grade be achieved via crossover or if submitted raw? Thanks, Lee

TELETRADE PHOTO

MY PHOTO
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Looks like a nice coin to me !

Im a sissy,cross over !

Unless you wanna wait about 2 weeks and see how my 1957 Proofs cross ?
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Are you allowed to do Crossover submissions for the quarterly freebie?
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    It's hard to tell from a photo, but I don't see anything that keeps it from being a 65. I would submit raw. PCGS might well be influenced by the NGC grade, and I would not give them any reason to grade low.

That's a really good looking coin.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image CardsFan I did a search before I asked my question and according to Russ you can submit a Crossover. Proof I'm in no rush. Let me know your results! Lee
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Its in a recently graded holder which tells me its probably accurately graded. Whenever you submit a coin this old you run the risk of a bodybag for cleaning as many of these were lightly cleaned as was the practice. I wouldn't crack it out, send it in with the minimum grade you are willing to accept.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you happy with the coin in the NGC plastic ? If so there is no reason period to crack the coin. If it crosses, fine. If it does not, fine. If PCGS thinks its nice enough they will upgrade the coin on a crossover if warranted.

Ken
  • Options
    It doesn't cost a thing except postage anyway so why risk a body bag if there's something NGC missed?
    morgannut2
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'm also not sure if crossovers are allowed on the quarterly freebie.
  • Options

Crossover!!!!
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I'm with morgannut2 that is not worth the risk. If it gets bb'd it will no longer be a freebie and could become rather expensive to get back into a holder. I'm scared to crack out any toned coins and send in raw because I fear they'll get AT'd.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How's the luster on the coin? I ask because it appears to have retoned after a dipping. The grading services won't ding an Unc. coin for this, as long as its luster is not impaired. The surfaces look really clean and the strike looks good, so I'm wondering why it's in a 3 holder.

Marks on the coin from the image appear to be minimal. You expect to see some noticeable marks on a 3; more than what I can see on the image. If an Unc. coin is horribly dull, that can knock a point or two off its grade.

I would not submit anything raw. I have heard too many horror stories. By submitting it in the NGC holder, the worst that can happen will be that you get the coin back. OTOH, based on my experience and the experience of others on this board in the last several years, PCGS has shown a reluctance to cross NGC coins at the same grade.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file