Home Sports Talk

Why it is tough being a Philly fan

1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
We finally get a WR in Owens, and now he is out until Super Bowl Sunday. Even then he may not play.

That sucks.

Phillies - stink
Sixers - stink
Flyers - who cares about hockey anyway.
collecting various PSA and SGC cards

Comments

• aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    I'm very upset right now.

Damn I'm bummed out.

What can I do?

aconte
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    AFC's going to win anyway.

Seriously, though, that sucks for Eagles fans.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Im sorry fellas.

For the past 3 years i've felt it was your guys year and with Owens and the way you guys have played this year i thought for sure this year was it. Although i didn't feel the Eagles would win it all , i did feel you guys would make it to the big game. Don't give up hope though, you never know what can happen
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    WAIT you still have Pinkston and Tras...urrrrrrrrrrr.....LOL you see, injuries DO suck! Be glad that only 1 of
    you wide outs got hurt and not you starting RB, FB, TE and three recievers. You all did real well with injuries
    up until now.

I think a quick exit from the playoffs would be better than another NFC championship meltdown to a NFC
    South opponent. Do you all have Thrash's phone number?

LOL
    JS

Hey there is always the Phillies and their great pitching staff!
  • It sucks when your entire offense relies on one or two players. I hope the Falcons play Vick on a limited basis so they'll be able to beat Philly in the NFC Championship game.

Brian
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    The Eagles got there three times w/o Owens, and they will get there again this year.

Vick and the Falcons? Nope

It sucks when your entire offense relies on one or two players

that is most teams in the NFL. Without Manning, the Colts would not be good. Take out Bettis and Staley, Pittsburgh stinks. Tom Brady is the lifeblood of the Pats offense.

McNabb, Westbrook and Pinkston will get it done.

As far as injuries Joe, the Eagles lost McNabb for 6 weeks (still went), lost Dawkins, Vincent, for 8 weeks last year and still went, and had other injuries the past two years - Hollis Thomas, Buckhalter, Burgess (all starters) and still went.

Don't tell me that injuries are an excuse for the Bucs.
  • Terrel Owens got exactly what he deserved.

Remember when loud mouth Michael Irvin went down to
    end his career.

Mr. Owens is getting a nice taste of humility right now.
    Mr. Big Mouth thought he was going to get a ring.
    His talent is incredible. But his maturity is schoolyard at best.
    I'm not disappointed one bit for him.

If he was a class act like McNabb, then I would feel bad for Eagles fans.
    I could name many other CLASS ACTS on that team.
    Owens is NOT one of them.

I also don't buy into people building up the Falcons as a worthy
    opponent. They got shut out by Tampa Bay for goodness sakes.
    How is that a worthy opponent ???

There is no good competition out there.

So the Eagles may still skate into the Superbowl without Terrell.
    I wouldn't worry too much Eagles fans. You look like you
    are Super Bowl bound.

Having said that, it will be interesting to see McNabb adapt
    over the next couple of weeks. I would develope Westbrook
    a lot more. I think that guy is awesome.
  • CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe we don't get see Ried in the tights (maybe that is a good thing). I think he should wear them anyway to honor the great season TO was having.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Eagles will get to the Super Bowl without TO. Winning it I'm not sure yet. Reid better not play Westbrook hardly at all, if at all in these next two games. These next two games as we know are meaningless. Also completely rest Kearse who has been injury prone in the past. Let the 2nd team play most of the minutes in these next two games.

• << <i>The Eagles will get to the Super Bowl without TO. Winning it I'm not sure yet. >>

Wow that's amazing! Please post again when your sure so I can place my bet. (ps, you have to be sure before the game starts).
    Collecting PSA and BGS 500 HR & 3000 Hit Club Baseball
    HOF Quarterbacks Football
  • Stevek,

You're right. I totally agree with your logic.

However, how will the "closet" Eagle fans react ?
    You know, the ones that only come out when they are winning.

I can hear them now.......

First we lost TO !!!
    Now we're losing games with second stringers !!!
    How can we win a Super Bowl !!!
    They'll be crying from Conshohocken to Croyden.
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Tuff break. I thought it was gonna be worse then an ankle sprain and 1 week. anyone have the direct link to the updated injury on owens?
  • Kuhlmann,

That's mighty honest of you to have that Eagles logo.
    How long will it stay ?

However, with all the excitement about Pedro going to your Mets,
    will you also post a sign that says,

"The Eagles are my daddy"
  • i won't blame TO's injury if the Eagles lose again. part of the game. sh%tty break though
    The logo stays until the end of the superbowl image! Yes im happy about pedro but dont think he will hold up for 4 years. hoping for delgado and beltran!
    I cannot see any team in the NFC beating them even w/o Owens. This may sound crazy, but I think the injury to Westbrook last year was more of a burden than losing TO.

Pinkston, Mitchell, Lewis, and LJ Smith are simply going to have to raise their level of play.

zsz - I respect your opinions on TO, but comparing him to Irvin is stretching it. Irvin was a criminal. TO is an upstanding citizen who gives back to the community. Yes, he has a show boat attitude on the field, but he leaves them on the field ... and backs them up.

Injuries aside, I am still confident in my team.

In a way you're right. I do agree with you.

I just wish players would be like
    Franco Harris and Emmitt Smith.
    After they scored a touchdown, they just tucked
    their head, and headed for the sidelines.

Do you know how many schoolyard and
    pop warner show offs we now have in the
    Philadelphia area because of TO ?

He would do more in the area of "good citizenship"
    to show little kids how to respect your opponent
    and respect the game. Unfortunately, he is a
    VERY SAD example of this. He should watch
    some tape of Emmitt, Franco, Lynn Swann,
    and many other quality NFL stars.

You got to admit, TO is ONE OF THE WORST !!!

Oh, forgot. I'm sure you don't like Warren Sapp.
    Neither did I. A mouth bigger than his stomach.
    TO is in the same "class".
    I agree. I would not want my son doing that stuff, but in the pros it seems as if it as "acceptable".

Ray Lewis does it, no one cares. Joe Horn does it, no one cares. Randy Moss and Culpepper does it, no one cares.

TO does it, does it well, and the media is all over him.
    <<< Wow that's amazing! Please post again when your sure so I can place my bet. (ps, you have to be sure before the game starts). >>>

Depends on what team wins the AFC. I'm not sure if the Eagles can beat Pittsburgh or New England without TO. They can beat any other team in the AFC without TO. Also depends on the health of the other team.
    <<< However, how will the "closet" Eagle fans react ?
    You know, the ones that only come out when they are winning >>>

Yea there's always a few idiots like those who call in on the WIP 610 Howard Eskin show that will jump off the bandwagon. But virtually all of Philly is solidly behind this team all the way. The Eagles almost always sold out the Vet even during their losing years. I think Philly has the best football fans in the country but I acknowledge that the Redskins, Packers, Bears, Giants and a few others also have some excellent, loyal football fans who stick with their team win or lose.
    ok, this years Philly team is NOT better than Green Bay was in 2002......Atlanta this year is MUCH improved
    over the 2002 team that beat GB in GB which at that point was unheard of. We know that home field
    for Philly means nothing...the NFC South has been calling that home for the past 3 years.

Lets recap who might face philly in the second round:

Minnesota....Could light up Philly on offense but offers no defense. I favor Philly in this one.

St Louis....we shall see a preview this Monday, but if Philly doesn't lay waste to this team and their
    rent a QB, then they are certainly finished. Bulger in the playoffs could present a problem
    even though STL has a glass D too!

Seattle.....If these guys make the playoffs Im going to puke, what a waste....advantage Eagles

NO.....LOL, they aren't as good as we made them look this past week. Ill take Philly

Carolina....not a good match up for the Eagles, Carolina's d is coming on and they are starting to move
    the ball...we look to weaken them some this week, but all Eagles fans have the vision of
    Steve Smith running down the field on them in their minds.

Tampa...The bucs would have a defense that was just as good as 2002, but with an offense that has the
    capablilties of blowing the Eagles up. Besides a few bone head turnovers at crucial points, the
    bucs have put together an offense that I haven't seen in a long time, one that might on any
    given Sunday rival the 2002 team at the end of that season. If the bucs do find themselves
    in Philly in January I would be smiling very big!

Lets face it, there are three good defenses in the NFC and the Eagles want no part of either of those
    teams (all three in the NFC South)

If the Eagles can get a combo of the first three teams I mentioned or Chicago or Detroit then they will
    be doing well, but look for a BLOWOUT in the SB if they get there (which they won't). Philly can not
    go through the NFC South to get to the SB.

Your schedule WON"T be soft next year Philly fan, this is your year, do or die, if you can't win the super
    bowl when everyone else is weak, you might as well give up.

JS
    Joey,

What does 2002 have to do with anything in 2004? Personnel and players are different for every team in the NFL. The Eagles have battled diversity for almost half the season in 2002 without McNabb, and basically all of last year w/o several key defensive players, and the last part of the regular season w/o Westbrook. He is the key, not McNabb in my opinion. Unfortunately, they lost both times in the NFC Championship. I do not blame injuries, as that is part of the game. Except for the Bucs of course, as their injuries are the most serious ones of all time.

if Philly doesn't lay waste to this team and their
    rent a QB, then they are certainly finished

The next two weeks mean NOTHING to this team. I could see the Eagles resting most of their starters on Monday in St. Louis and the whole first team against Cincy. Besides TO, they are banged up on the offensive and defensive lines. Eagles will win, but I do not see a blowout. I see a lot of Detmer, and very little of Mcnabb,Westbrook, and some key lineman.

I agree with your takes on the other teams. Carolina, and Green Bay, are the only teams in the NFC other than the Eagles with heart. The best offensive team in the mix is the Vikings and they have NO BALLS.

Let's not forget that the Eagles give up less than 15 points a game.

this is your year, do or die, if you can't win the super
    bowl when everyone else is weak, you might as well give up.

This team will get there, and we will be there next year too.
    Falcons will waste philly! without owens philly is screwed!

You guys might want me to change my logo back? bc it is bringing you bad luck! let me know!
    TAKE IT OFF KUHLMAN!
    You guys are talking like Westbrook is Emmitt or something! The guy doesn't show up to the big games..I
    would think if anyone understood that it would be philly fan who has seen this guy do NADA in both 02
    and 03 when they needed it. So now you guys are telling me your offense is going through this guy??

Your current WR line up scares no one, they can be easily taken out one on one, that leaves the whole
    rest of the D to concentrate on McNad and Brian...that spells doom!

That first playoff game is going to hit you all like a ton of bricks! No TO and you are going to be rusty...OUCH

JS
  • I agree that losing TO is like losing Iverson.

However, McNabb is showing some incredible
    maturity this year. He seems to feel a lot more
    comfortable in the pocket.

Joe is right, if a defense can get him to scramble,
    then Philly doesn't score more than 21.

However, my main point is that even without TO.....
    McNabb and weak opponents are enough of a combination
    to bring them to the dance.

The only question is which Atlanta team and what game plan
    will show up. IF ATLANTA EVEN GETS THERE !

<< <i>Terrel Owens got exactly what he deserved. >>

T.O. is a football god!

You got to know the real T.O. to appreciate is passion and love for the game.

Your comment was idiotic.

Kuhlman, Keep your logo.

aconte
  • I guarantee if you were a Ravens fan you wouldn't feel that way about him
  • Stalin- Yeah you'd be smiling real big I'm sure if the Buc's played the Eagles in January because that would be a miracle, but I'm sure you wouldn't be smiling for very long.image
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
    The guy doesn't show up to the big games..I
    would think if anyone understood that it would be philly fan who has seen this guy do NADA in both 02
    and 03 when they needed it.

He was not a factor in the offense in 2002, and in 2003 he didn't play. Is that your meaning of NADA? I thought you use injuries as an excuse for the Bucs.

Westbrook can change a game.

If I could pick an Eagles opponent for the NFC Championship, it would be the Bucs.
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Now that Owens is out - the AFC has 9 teams better than anybody in the NFC. The Pats, Steelers, Colts, Chargers, Jets, Ravens, Broncos, Jags and Bills would all dominate the NFC. What a shame. The Eagles have no opposition and to get to the Super Bowl the Jets might have to beat the Colts, Steelers and Pats.
  • Aconte,

If TO is a football "GOD",
    then why doesn't he just heal himself ?

It looks to me like the real GOD just brought judgement
    on him last weekend.

When you get older you realize that was goes
    around comes around.
    He got exactly what he deserved.
    NOW HIS BIG MOUTH IS SHUT FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON !!!! THANK GOD !!!
    TO will play in the Super Bowl this season. It may seem like I am grasping at straws and this is because I am.
    KOBEcollector,

You are correct about the comment if I were a Ravens fan I would look at it differently. I am not though.
    The Ravens won a SuperBowl and the Birds have not. T.O. wanted to come to Philly and play for us.
    I'm sure the majority of the reasons were selfish but as a top player you need to be selfish at times.

I love the guy and the way he's played. He's a straight shooter and if I were not a Philly fan I could
    see the negative points of view. But to say he deserved to get hurt is insane. No one deserves that
    type of outcome. I don't think T.O. would wish physical harm on anyone. I would not either. I guess
    that's what makes Philly fans so special. We can turn the other cheek and forgive our enemies who
    wish harm upon us!image

That and we can put down the brew! image

aconte
  • Aconte,

Philly fans can turn the other cheek ?image

Please educate our fellow board members
    as to why they had to put a JUDGE in your
    stadium during the football games.

I'll give you a clue to the answer

1- To hear arguments on abortion
    2- Because the stadium was segregated
    3- To solve disputes and fights that (not occasionally)
    but too often took place during Eagles games.

What about the standing ovation philly fans gave michael irvin when he hurt his neck? philly fans have no class not meaning you guys here but in general philly fans are the worst!
  • Oh yeah,

Please explain the snowballs that
    those forgiving Eagle fans threw
    at Aikmann during his gamecast as an announcer.

Didn't Jimmy Johnson get snowed as well ?

Which cheek did they turn on that one ? The left or right one image
    Philly fans are tough and I'm proud of it. This is football. Anyone who doesn't like it can go watch badminton.
    zsz,

I'm messing around with my comments.

But I'm proud to call myself a true Philly fan. I don't think you would ever hear me say a
    player got what he deserved when getting injured. This Philly fan has got too much
    class for that.....unless... ah.... maybe if it was a Cowboy! (only kidding) lol!

aconte
    Philly fans are load, obnoxious, and sometimes criminal ... we have a judge in our stadium. The media hypes it up however. I have been a season ticket holder for about 15 years, and I have seen only a few fights. Apparently this happens, according to the media, several times a game.

Santa had it coming ....
    BTW, Eagle fans are among the most loyal and knowledgeable.

yes, you are the most loyal fans around.
    you live and die with your team.
    I know that. You guys love your Eagles.

Stevek,

After my post about throwing snowballs at announcers,
    you said that Philly fans are tough and you're proud of it.

Please explain to me how throwing snowballs at
    defensless announcers is tough ?
    What's so "tough" about that.

Why don't you ask your "tough" players
    why they couldn't finish off Carolina.
    Why don't you ask tough guy Terrell
    Owens to play with his broken ankle ?
    Many "tough" guys have played with
    broken legs before. Ed Van Impe
    did it with the Flyers. Where's Terrell ?
    <<< After my post about throwing snowballs at announcers,
    you said that Philly fans are tough and you're proud of it.

Please explain to me how throwing snowballs at
    defensless announcers is tough ?
    What's so "tough" about that. >>>

I'm only upset that the fans didn't hit the announcers with the snowballs. We'll have to work on our accuracy.

By Phil Sheridan

Inquirer Columnist

No matter where you are in the five stages - denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance - it's worth calling a 30-second time-out right now to appreciate Terrell Owens' first season in Philadelphia.

A T.O. for T.O.

It's really hard to think of many players who came to this city with such high expectations and delivered the goods as convincingly as Owens. Moses Malone helped carry the 76ers to the city's last championship, but he wasn't nearly as charismatic a figure as T.O. Going back even further, only Pete Rose comes to mind.

Owens wasn't able to give the Eagles or their fans a complete season, but he certainly gave everybody an unforgettable one.

If you close your eyes and let your mind relax completely, you may be able to recall that crazy period when Owens' status was undecided. The San Francisco 49ers contended that he had lost the right to free agency because of an oversight by his agent. They traded him to the Baltimore Ravens over his objections, and Owens filed a grievance no one believed would do any good.

It was an extraordinary alignment. The Eagles wanted him. Their fans wanted him. And Owens wanted to come here. Here was an athlete willing to fight for the right to come to Philadelphia, swimming against a stream that had been rushing the other way since Curt Flood's landmark fight to avoid coming here.

Reggie White wanted out. Keith Jackson wanted out. Charles Barkley wanted out. Scott Rolen wanted out. Curt Schilling wanted out.

T.O. wanted in.

Maybe that helps explain the unprecedented public display of affection for Owens at Lehigh last summer. In 20 training camps, I've never seen anything close to it. Fans showed up by the thousands to cheer Owens every time he ran by, every time he touched the ball, and especially every time he caught a deep pass in stride.

From the first practice in Bethlehem to a Monday night game in Dallas, the fans showered Owens with love. The image of thousands of Eagles fans chanting his initials in Texas Stadium - the home of the hated Cowboys - will be one of the most lasting of this memorable season.

There were plenty: three touchdowns in the season opener against the Giants, the sit-up celebration in Chicago, the Ray Lewis parody after scoring against the Ravens, tearing down the sign in Cleveland, the whole bet with coach Andy Reid over wearing tights, even the absurd Nicollette Sheridan fiasco.

The Eagles are used to the spotlight. They have played in it for the last few years. But the spotlight that followed Owens here was brighter and cast a wider circle. For fans who had watched five years of polite, efficient success, Owens' swagger and mischievous nature were deeply refreshing.

Here was a player you had to keep your eyes on even after the play was over. When Owens scored a touchdown, you leaned forward in your seat, waiting to see what he would do to celebrate. That is charisma.

You just knew fans of other teams hated watching him, and that felt good.

None of that would mean much, of course, if he hadn't produced on the field. He did, catching 77 passes for 1,200 yards and a team-record 14 touchdowns.

Because of the Eagles' 13-1 record and mastery of the NFC, Owens may not have played much in the last couple of regular-season games even if he hadn't been hurt. So it's unlikely he would have caught as many passes (88) as Irving Fryar did in 1996, or gained as many yards (1,409) as Mike Quick did in 1983.

So it might be an exaggeration to call it the greatest season ever by an Eagles wide receiver (Tommy McDonald might have a say in that, too). It is not exaggerating at all, though, to call it the most dynamic.

It's almost funny now to remember that reasonable people were concerned about the effect Owens would have on this team. Would he get enough passes thrown his way in Reid's system? If not, would he be a problem in the locker room? How would Donovan McNabb respond to having another superstar on the offense?

There was even the suggestion that Owens' presence would put additional pressure on McNabb, because it would eliminate the excuse that he lacked a No. 1 receiver.

For a rare change in Philadelphia sports, all of those questions had positive answers. All of the worries proved to be groundless.

Reid got Owens the ball. Owens scored. McNabb loved sharing the spotlight, and he thrived in his first season with a true star at receiver.

The end of Owens' season was as unforgettable as the rest of it. He didn't stay down very long. He limped off the field without help, which looked encouraging. Then he limped along the sideline, alone, toward the tunnel to the Eagles' locker room.

A hush fell over Lincoln Financial Field. Fans ignored the game for the long minutes it took Owens to disappear from view. Even hurt, the man is impossible to ignore.
    Nice article but I like how the Eagles highlights are against Chicago, Cleveland and the Giants....I can't
    remember the last impressive win the Eagles had...maybe Bmore...but how great are they? TO has
    been lining up against some of the worst defenses ever, we all saw what happened when Philly
    got their butts kicked.....When I think of TO I think of that childish parade on the sideline with
    McNad. Its all great when you are beating up on the Bears or Redskins, but when you play a playoff
    team and aren't getting it done, acting like a baby just shows who you really are.

I hate the Eagles more than anyone but TO's injury really only hurts his team and the fans, knowing
    TO he would love to see the team faulter without him, he is all about ego...heck the guy still gets
    paid and doesn't even have to face real teams now!

Real soon there are going be 5 teams foaming at the mouth come playoff time. I think its open
    season, and Eagle is on the menu!

JS
    Its all great when you are beating up on the Bears or Redskins, but when you play a playoff
    team and aren't getting it done, acting like a baby just shows who you really are.

Don't quite understand this one Joe ... which is not unusual when it comes to your logic and debate.

First, the Redskins have a great defense. They also beat the Bucs, just in case you try to defend that one. The Eagles have played "playoff" teams, and smacked all of them (GB, Minn, and Carolina possibly) in the mouth. St. Louis will be next.

Finally, who is acting like a baby? The Eagles or me? I really would like to know who you are referring to. I doubt you will answer however, as this is typical of your style of play.

knowing TO he would love to see the team faulter without him, he is all about ego...heck the guy still gets
    paid and doesn't even have to face real teams now!

You know him? That could be the most idiotic thing you have said on these boards. Even more so than your "thesis" ... get real bro.
    I was talking about TO, Mr Me. Don't tell me he is a team player, when he talks he says that HE
    scored touchdowns not the other 11 guys. That sharpie thing was icing on the cake...like he was
    the only guy in the stadium. Makes me sick, IM glad he is out. My baby reference was at TO, you
    are a loyal fan, but one that will never see his team get a ring. I would hardly call the defenses of
    the Skins, Pack and Minn great, you all have not been tested yet. To bad St Louis sucks this week.

JS
    I am confident that I will see my team get a ring.

The Skins D is ranked pretty high. I think it is in the top 5. I am not big on rankings at all actually. The Eagles D doesn't allow points, but gives up rushing yards. At least pre-Trotter ...

As far as I am concerned, he is a team player. I know that he has congratulated other teammates when they made a play that he didn't. He hasn't complained that other players had balls thrown their way, or that the Eagles decided to run the ball. So I guess I am lost in confusion still.

Two wins in the playoffs, and #81 will be running on the field in Jacksonville.
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I do not particularly like the Eagles and I cannot stomach TO. That said, I certainly admire their fans that have come in here the past 2 or 3 years and stood up for them no matter what.

Also, they have clearly been the best team in the NFC. It is not their fault the entire NFC blows. They have dominated virtually everybody they have played. If they were in the AFC they would be one of the six best teams but in the toothless NFC they have to be the clear cut choice for the Super Bowl with or without TO.
    In regard to their defense - they have allowed the fewest points in the NFL and they are ranked 10th over-all in yardage statistics. Their allegedly weak run defense now ranks 11th in the entire NFL but that ranking has been improving every week. They have a brilliant defensive co-ordinator and have remained in the upper half of the league despite numerous injuries.
    aro13, well put and well appreciated.