Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What sort of coins do the "well known" dealers collect?

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
For instance, Q David Bowers has an interest in counter-stamped large cents. Larry Whitlow collects Buffalo nickels or at least he used to.

Tell me what you know.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• Options
    Nothing?
  • Options

MadMarty collects weenie coins.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    The successful ones collect money. image

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Jade collects Norweeb pedigree coins and weenie coins!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

I heard that David Hall collects California State Quarters by die variety.

www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    I heard that David Hall collects sample slabs.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I have always maintained that it is extremely difficult to collect and deal in the same items, because your customers would be in competition with you for the best coins.

That said:
    Jim Mc Guigan of PA has one of the two best half cent collections. Jim would probably sell the entire collection, but I doubt that he would sell any single item individually.

Anthony Terranova of NYC has one of the best colonial collections. Tony would probably sell items from his collection for the right price, I guess.

I collect currency with serial #'s 00000081, 82, 84 & tokens and colonial and obsolete currency from Rensselaer County, NY, but I would sell any of the collections.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always maintained that it is extremely difficult to collect and deal in the same items, because your customers would be in competition with you for the best coins.

I deal in US coins and collect Latin American and Scandinavian, so for me there's no conflict.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I think I know of a few dealers in mostly US coins who collect foreign coins. It's interesting Rick Hennessy from AW Coins, which sells moderns, has a highly ranked Buffalo nickel set in the registry. Wayne Herndon is a dealer and he has a Lincoln registry set too. Wondercoin collects everything it seems.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Julian himself used to have quite a set of Patterns, no? image

jom
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Wondercoin collects everything it seems."

Mostly what I call "fun" collections, where I enjoy building a respectable collection without regard for the "top spot" in any Registry.

But, I do fairly seriously collect pattern nickels from 1865-96, pretty much every MS Wash quarter from 1932-date, MS Kennedy Half Dollars, Proof Lincoln cents and MS half dollar, dollar and $5 Gold Modern Commems. I also dabble in MS Lincoln wheats, MS Jeffs, MS Roosies, Franklins, Classic Silver Commems, Ikes and a variety of modern Proof collections, to name a few things.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect currency with serial #'s 00000081, 82, 84

Julian, do you find that market to be relatively thin? imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I collect currency with serial #'s 00000081, 82, 84... >>

I'm on the edge of my seat to hear the story behind this?

• Options
    I know one dealer (who may not wish to be named) who collects half cents. Doesn't Laura of Legend collect AU bust halves?

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    As for the serial # collections.

It goes back, probably 30 years, or so. I purchased 5 low serial #'d sets from a Washington DC currency dealer, Phil Lampkin. I sold 2 of the sets, which as I remember had 5 notes in them, I think #'s 78 and 79.

I started to add notes, as they became available, and still do. The sets each have over 50 notes in them.

And yes, I do not have any competition for those #'s, but there is a fair amount of interest in low serial #'d notes.

As I stated earlier, I would sell them, or one of the sets, if anyone was seriously interested, but in the meantime, I try to add notes, as they come up. In the last couple of years, a couple of $5000 bills came up, but I was unable to purchase them, as they sold for over $35000., each.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    TTT from 2004
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dick Osburn collects seated halves. I don;t know if he collects anything else.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file