Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dansco 7070 now complete with Gold page added and lots of pics (warning to dial uppers!)

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
I picked up the final 3 Gold coins needed for the album at Baltimore on Friday. When putting together the list of what I needed, I realized Dansco forgot about the $3 coins. Hmm....

I'm still not thrilled with my pics, but I've improved some of them. I took the pics 2 "lines" at a time, then edited with Photoshop to make minor adjustments and incorporate the reverses into the pics. The early nickels definitely need to be reshot. I couldn't fix the blown highlights in Photoshop, but I'll save that for another day. The page with the Proofs I did outside in the shade, and they seem a bit better. The diffuse lighting of outdoor shade definitely helped, though it introduced a slight red cast into the pics (which I adjusted out using Curves). Anyway, here goes...

Comments

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Very Cool.image

Congrats
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I like the toning on the IHC and the seated dollar. nice set.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    Dayum. Nice set. That's quite an accomplishment.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    That's a wonderful collection!! Congratulations! Something to pass on to your kids or grandkids. I've started three Dansco 7070 sets and never finished any of them - maybe it's time I tried again.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Congrats. That is quite an accomplishment and looks quite amazing. Do you plan on upgrading?
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    Just an awsome display and one I would love to feature on my website. Please let me know if this would be possible as I would like to add you images of the coins to my site in a special area, giving full credit to you as the owner. image
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    WOW Very nice
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Very, very nice. With some excellent splashes of color image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Incredible set!! Beautifully matched and even more beautiful coins!! I LOV E that Arrows Seated Dimeimage

jim
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats. That is quite an accomplishment and looks quite amazing. Do you plan on upgrading? >>

Scott - I may upgrade a few coins here and there. The first two will most likely be the 3 cent pieces. After that, maybe a few of the early coppers, though if I try to match the other coins, it's likely to break the bank!

kryptonitecomics - I'll be adding to my own pages pages at some point. Thanks for the offer though.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>............, though if I try to match the other coins, it's likely to break the bank! >>

Oh, come on Barry. Just a couple of Lasiks will pay for them.image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set and great pictures! image

I like being able to see the reverses too, I need to do similar work for my set, someday.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I believe this is the fifth time I've looked at your collection and each time I like it more. Dang - that's really nice!!
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    Love the Barber dime & No Motto Dollarimage
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's the way you do it.

Very nice!
  • Options
    Gorgeous collection - congratulations! Thanks for sharing! image
  • Options
    Sweet set!

The epitome of coin collecting image

Jeff
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    awesome!!!
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Great post! There's something about seeing raw coins of different metals, tones and sizes side-by-side that really pleases the eye. Nice pics too!

What's the date of that IH with the rainbow reverse?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimage

Absolutely Fantastical!!!

That is one sweet-lookin' set, particularly the 1849 dollar!!!

Awesome.

Thanks for the eye candy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Outstanding Job Barry!!! It's very obvious you've spent alot of time and TLC in attaining this beautiful collection. Great Job on the photo's also!!!!!!! Lee
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, did the 7070 set remove the 4 commem half dollar ports from the 4th page?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed that. I liked the four half dollar slots in the old albums. I used two classic commems (San Diego and Pilgrim) and two modern ones (George Washington and Statue of Liberty), back when I did the set.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Quite Impressive. I loved that IHC with the rev. tone and I'm still drueling over the barber dime.image

Again Congrats.imageimage
    putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!
  • Options

<< <i>Love the Barber dime & No Motto Dollarimage >>

Thanks. I know the Motto Dollar looks like a POS in the picture, but it's actually a nice looking coin. That is one that's definitely on the photo redo list.

Shylock - the IHC with the toning on the reverse is a 1907 (formerly in an NGC MS64RB slab). I should also take a picture of the slab graveyard I created image

Lanlord - the commem holes are still there, but I left them empty, so didn't include the pic of empty holes. I'm just not into commems and I think it was dumb of Dansco to include 4 holes for them, when they left things out like no-star Seated and 3 dollar Gold. One hole I would have filled. Four, no thanks. My album, my choice image I already had a Buffalo Dollar in my collection so that's why that commem hole is filled.

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys.
  • Options
    Just simply beautiful, that set took a lot of work and care to make so exceptional --- now I am even more motivated to finish my set. While not quite as nice as yours -- I just need the no motto Seated $ and to finish the gold page.

Since I couldn't afford to do a highend set like yours I decided to do a toned theme -- I'm trying to find nicely toned, though lightly circulated examples for the set. It aint easy, but it is different.

Thanks for sharing --

TPN
  • Options
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    Wow. That reminds mw of when I first started collecting and filling my type album....I never finished of course! I buy mostly certified uncirculated now and quite honestly, I don't have the b@lls to crack them out and do that! It looks great and really is a lot of fun to look at..thanks!

I might restart my type set with some lower grade examples...it would be a blast again!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very very nice presentation. Forget "box of 20", how about "Book of 82!" image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    imageWOW!!!!!
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    What can I say...??? I'm in a 7070 mood tonight... time for another go 'round image
  • Options
    RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Really nice, Barry.

Congratulations!

Rick
    <html />
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing with us.

Congratulations’.

• Options
    I never get tired of looking at your set. Every time I come across one of your posts I have to go look at your Dansco again. Congratulations again for a wonderful accomplishment.
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    Nice, Barry! I know I've seen most of them before, but I look forward to seeing the whole set in person. I REALLY like that 1832 CBH.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Very impressive indeed!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now THAT is purdy!!!!

• Options
    GABGAB Posts: 641
    Outstanding coins and pics!!! I am jealous - to say the least! image
    Golf time!!
  • Options
    Beautiful!! So now what are you gonna do?
    Curmudgeon in waiting!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file