Home Precious Metals
Options

GOLD AND SILVER WORLD NEWS, ECONOMIC PREDICTIONS

Comments

• Options

<< <i>"Fibonacci retracement"

Never heard of Fibonacci referred to in economic terms, only as a mathmatical term as in the Fibonacci sequece.

1+1=2
    2+1=3
    3+2=5
    5+3=8
    8+5=13
    13+8=21
    etc...
    I am by no means a technical stock analyst, but the Fibonacci retracement refers to using this series backwards to predict the bottom of a downward move. There is no possible rational explanation for this but some math people long ago were able to correlate the progression with sojme major stock movements, up and down, so it has become one of the soft tools used by technical stock gurus to predict buying and selling points ahead of time.

I know, I know, makes no sense, but then you have the stock people who work from atrological charts, and some do remarkably well, publishing expensive news letters and the like. Rob

When you graph it on an xy axis, you get an ever expaning chambered nautalus type line. How does this sequence possibly fit into an economic analysis? >>

Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 of the Fib retracements I believe are at 38% and 61% of the previous gains. There are smaller and larger ones as well I believe. These are just formulae created by old Fib himself that somehow often describe where markets or events pull back too. Oddly enough, the Fib
    retracements seem to work in many cases, even gold retracements. It is just as hard to explain why Elliot Wave theory works
    well quite often, yet is describing the "actions of crowds" in a mathematical way.....which says that it is pre-destined. Interesting.

Interesting that gold has moved so strongly through $500 and now $515 in the face of the strongest dollar index since 2004 and
    weakend oil prices. Who'd a thunk it?

Sinclair predicted a bold move right to $529 that would confound all the "chartists" and gold nay-sayers.
    And so far he is looking awfully good.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Speaking of predictions.

Remember how many people were saying earlier this year that we'd be seeing $350 gold before we'd ever see $500?

I still expect the annual nosedive soon. Were are now in the period to expect it. PM's have traditionally crashed around Decemeber 15, give or take a week, for years and years now. I suppose when we break that cycle, all bets are off and we may really be seeing the next solid phase of this bull run.

I guess we'll know in a couple of weeks now, won't we?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    If these legs hold, there will sure be some happy campers in the house!
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    The debt can easily be repaid if we (actually, you, the voters - I'm a foreigner here, I just pay taxes) make that a priority, over things like social security,

To each his own. I want my check. I will collect every penny I can as soon as I can. image

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Curtesy bump.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Gold has been strong throughout most of the past 4 FUN shows. I don't see why we can't continue right through FUN....and
    dump in mid-January. I recall peaks in 2003 at FUN at $375 and then 2004 pushing $425 or something. My memory may be a
    touch off here.

$520 is now taken out. Now on to $529. JSMineset suspects as high as $544 on this move.

$8.97 silver......ready to take out $9.00

Doug Gnazzo referenced this quote from Alan Greenspan's 1960's book, Economic Freedom. It says it all:

Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the 'hidden' confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights."

roadrunner
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an interesting article:

Bernanke Confuses Depression Cure with Disease

While I do not agree that Fed Chairman Harrison was the good guy in 1928 and thereafter and prior Fed Chairman Strong was strictly the bad guy prior to 1929, I do agree that Bernanke scares me.

I am beginning to think that the increases in prices of silver and gold reflects the world's opinion of incoming Chairman Bernanke and I think the world is right.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I know is I am gettin giddy from the thousands of dollars PER DAY that my stacka bullion coins is rackin up.

Yeh, I know....PAPER PROFITS.

But I'll take it anyhow.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Yeah to keep printing money hoping that it will balance out in the end is crazy...Where have we found these people...and what happened to all the great men America once had...even an idiot like me can read the signs...I just shake my head in disgust.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oreville,

That sounds like a very polemical piece by Shriff.

Are you aware of any other "hyperinflation" designs Bernane may have, beyond his opinion piece about the cause of the Great Depression? Do you have any other reason to believe, as Shriff evidently does, that Bernanke intends to simply crank up the monetary printing presses to battle illusory deflation? Could we really be having a Fed Chairman coming on board so utterly out of touch with Economics 101?
  • Options
    Taint no good to crank up presses if nobody has no job. Nor no factories. We is gettin DEE-flation. Sooner than anyone thinks.
    I know....everybody says otherwise. Makes it even surer.

No economic activity will surprise the whole country and start the GREATEST depression. THIS time we ain't got no "out." War would almost have to be refereed to be "manageable." So that leaves ...what...????

Open to suggestions for an "engine of recovery."

???????????????????
  • Options

<< <i>Taint no good to crank up presses if nobody has no job. Nor no factories. We is gettin DEE-flation. Sooner than anyone thinks. >>

What is happening is very interesting...... The fed is printing more money to meet government obligations and raising the interest rates to keep the foreign creditors happy.

This leads to stagflation (inflation + recession), an excellent combination for disaster in the current world, where more major countries have inflated their currency.

A terrorist attack or a severe natural disaster for which we are not prepared, will lead to currency crisis.

• Options
    This will work and has if no one calls the feds bluff
    gold well it kinda old and no one needs it ya right !!
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    The Fed interest rate has been unbelievably low during this recession and is even too low today in my estimation. When the rates are so low that there is no benefit in saving, everyone spends...this is what is driving the economy. With no savings and booming debt from the federal government down to family finances, it's just a matter of time before things go south. Personally I don't think that we'll be waiting long.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    One account of the Great Depression I have read (Anatale Fekete?) attributes it to the FED maintaining price controls for many years,
    pumping the money supply, then immediately shifting control modes following the changes of the FED chief, to more a monetary restriction mode. By late 1929 the FED was withholding liquidity to member banks and continued to do so as the depression began.

All during this time the gold supplies were bulging as the FED had been hoarding gold for years. They had the answer all along but didn't want to release gold to improve market liquidity. By the time liquidity was finally being added it was too late. The other nails were delivered by the improper maneuvers of Hoover and FDR.

roadrunner
  • Options
    My understanding is were 2-3 points higher on our interest rates then the rest of the world
    but that said i do think the jig is almost up who in their right mind would lose
    as much as the dollar has lost in the last few years in real buying power
    look at the canada dollar to ours in the last few years
    amazing
  • Options
    JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭

<< <i>Doug Gnazzo referenced this quote from Alan Greenspan's 1960's book, Economic Freedom. It says it all:

Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the 'hidden' confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." >>

It's not a book but an essay / chapter, part of the Ayn Rand collective's Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal

You can read the table of content here: Table of Content - Chapter 6 is the one you're looking for: "Gold and Economic Freedom".
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Greenspan has always talked out of

both sides of his mouth. It was he who

told President Bush that the tax cuts were fine

and that we should slow down on paying off the National

debt. He always calls the problem after it passes and by giving

cryptic statements, you can read what every you want

in his Delphinian utterences.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭
    Greenspan said we could slow down paying the debt???
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    Well you wouldn't even have to work if you had insight like this. This guy actually gets paid for this.

<< <i>

Gold trading in London closed at $515.70 an ounce after trading as high as $522.90/oz during the day — the highest level since April 1981. Some analysts are already predicting that gold could climb to $525/oz next year. The precious metal traded as high as $523.90/oz in New York last night.

>>

Wonder how many experts he had to interview to get that info.

Timesonline
  • Options
    Just a couple of comments on the last couple of days.
    First it appears that a couple of things are happening that gold bugs have been waiting for. The first is that the World demand for Gold is getting beyond the control of American bankers to control the price, and second the main stream media is waking the World up as to the U.S. debt problem and the need for World savers to diversify into hard assets.

“Gold fever rages, price tops $525/oz
    Friday December 9, 6:44 am ET
    LONDON (Reuters) - Gold fever took prices to $525.50 an ounce for the first time in nearly a quarter of a century on Friday as investors, particularly in Asia, rushed to buy an asset that has gained some 15 percent in the past month alone.

WASHINGTON (AFX) -- Americans increased their household debt at an annual rate of 11.6% in the third quarter, the fastest growth in 18 years, the Federal Reserve said Thursday in its quarterly flow of funds report

Total outstanding debt in the household sector rose to $11 trillion”

My thoughts on a quick deflation period hitting the U.S. by surprise is that this will just not happen until we go through a hyper inflation period.

At the time of the last depression there was simple no outlets to print money and give it to people to keep them going. All of those outlets are currently in place.

One third of the American public works for one government or another, and certainly they will all get printed money. An additional third already get government checks i.e. welfare, Social Security etc. 20 % are wealthy enough to ride most tides, and all others can be put to work in work programs. True there will not be many tax revenues to pay everyone, but we already know that our government prints what it needs. As long as Americans still continue to take dollars for payment of goods and services deflation is pretty much out of the picture.

Many moons ago on this thread I said that eventually the boys and girls in Washington would want a fall guy to blame the worthless money situation on, and the fact is that eventually we must begin to default on some of our debt. I said then, and still believe that the fall guy is going to be the Fed Chairman and the Fed itself.
  • Options
    Took out $520 and $525 in the same day? Once past $530 or so there is no more massive resistance until the
    previous high of $875 in 1980. Note that gold went from this same pt where we are now in early 1980, and
    set it's record in only a few weeks. All bets from here, up or down, or off. The volatility will start to become
    too great for many newbie gold investors.

roadrunner
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think there will be a concerted effort to halt this advance near $600.

It will be much easier to stop at 600 than it was at 400. Ultimately it will fail unless the
    world governments get their printing presses under control which would require they get
    their spending under control. There will be no effort to stop silver at least in the short term
    and it will move to a 40:1 ratio to gold. We'll see $480 gold and $12 silver before $700 gold.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Gold seems to me to be the great equalizer in the international money arena. Whether it's kronen, marks, pesos, $us/cn/hk, what ever the currency may be. The price of gold in national currency mirrors currency exhange rates and therefore internationally adjusts all economies to each other regardless of the govt printing money or devaluation or any internal adjustments to money supply. So, if you have gold, it doesn't matter if the money is being vigorously printed...it will still take so much, in terms of gold, to get a sewing machine from China to Thailand, regardless of the health or status of the currency. International trade will and must take place and the price of gold is the foundation for that exchange, whether stated or not.

It seems to be just that simple, regardless of all the great prognostications and convoluted arguments that seem to be proliferating. So what's the big fuss...just get some gold and all's good, it's the great equalizer. I'm suprised that the governments still let individuals have gold because it gives everyone an equal play, regardless of the government ambitions or policies.

Got gold?

• Options

The soon to be discontinued M3 money supply shows an increase of 2.1 billion dollars for last month, to 10.12 trillion dollars

Bernanke is going to ramp it up.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Bernanke is going to ramp it up. >>

Deflating the money supply isn't in the Fed's DNA.

They absolutely must keep on inflating or the entire system will implode.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Forget the conventional wisdom. Gold will be at $3-$10,000/ounce within a few years.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>Gold will be $3-$10,000/ounce >>

This is not going to make anyone rich, because the cost of a loaf of bread will be 30 or 40 dollars, if this happens.

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Just think what the Silver, Gold, and Platinum proofs and sets are going to be selling for in 2006. They were already high.image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Gold will be $3-$10,000/ounce >>

This is not going to make anyone rich, because the cost of a loaf of bread will be 30 or 40 dollars, if this happens. >>

You're probably right about that.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>Just think what the Silver, Gold, and Platinum proofs and sets are going to be selling for in 2006. They were already high.image >>

Yeah, especially the platinum eagles. The 2006 proof will be priced way out of most people's
    buying range. It could possibly turn out to be an even lower mintage than 2004.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    The volatility will start to become too great for many newbie gold investors.

Best prediction I've seen. You can bank on it.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    From Jim's website, he has a very good track record.

Friday, December 09, 2005, 11:02:00 AM EST

Listen to the Market, Not the Talking Heads

Author: Jim Sinclair

What the talking head floor traders do not lack is EGO. This morning they have become past masters of weather forecasting. These geniuses like to tell us what the temperature will be for the next two weeks. When did they forget that their occupation is to know what the market will do in the next 30 seconds?

Listening to them prognosticate on economics, politics and other matters outside their area of expertise is a travesty against your mental health and your portfolio’s value. It always amazes me the selection of so-called experts that are available to say what financial TV wants to hear. They are equity bulls, oil bears and the occasional gold guy saying inaccurate things that make my skin crawl.

Gold this morning in the active February contract hit the $528.90 level before running into some general selling. That is a waste of good $$$$ for those selecting the short side as gold is going to and through $529 regardless of the fool hardy top callers who now look quite bad to say the least.

As far as gold shares are concerned, take a look at Lars’ chart this morning. He has a high probability of being correct. Above $529 on the continuous gold chart, we move into a runaway gold market that might well make my feelings expressed to you continually on gold much too conservative. A market that does more than expected earlier than expected can easily go higher than expected.

Some selling took place in gold shares this morning based on the approach to the $529 level. That will look stupid, IMO, when gold takes out $529 and moves into a run away stage.

Click here for gold, the US dollar, and the AMAX Gold Bug Index.

• Options

<< <i>From CNBC - How gold could hit 600 by end of Jan '06 >>

Oh great, now CNBC is on the bandwagon. The top must be in.
  • Options
    TO BAD I HAVE NO SPELL CHECK!
    THAN I MIGHT KNOW HOW TO SPELL.

my prediction as to the world and its finaNCIAL effect are simple.
    In america expect tax increases, and iNsurance fraud.
    expect a silver bail out due to at least 4 naked shorts.
    same thing happened in copper by a chinese short) he lost a couple hundred mill. gas taxes will increase. gambling and online betting will increase. the illusion of a strong dollar will fuel the dow jones for many years. spending will increase. americans will loose jobs. a larger war and the killing of millions of people will be a way to take the eye off finance, and put it on the war effort.
    China will continue growing. the yen will be stronger. imports will rise.
    exports will fall. africa and brazil will continue to be stripped of there natural resources. new gold and silver will be avalilable from the opening of over sea mines.
    gold prices will fall to pre 2005 levels.
    silver will rise to new highs.
    platinum will stay strong at the 1050 dollar level.
    oil prices per barrel will remain close to these levels for many years.
    i could go on and on but it is just my oppinion.
    governments will fall. anarchy will rule a sort of brand new world order.
    china will lead the world in science and nano tech..
    other than that remain calm and stay in your homes the storm is coming.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Friday December 09, 2005 11:32 AM (NEW!)

my prediction as to the world and its finacial effect are simple.
    In america expect tax increases, and isurance fraud.
    expect a silver bail out due to at least 4 naked shorts.
    same thing happened in copper by a chineese short) he lost a couple hundred mill. gas taxes will increase. gambling and online betting will increase. the illussion of a strong dollar will fuel the dow jones for many years. spending will increase. americans will loose jobs. a larger war and the killing of millions of people will be a way to take the eye off finance, and put it on the war effort.
    China will continue growing. the yen will be stronger. imports will rise.
    exports will fall. africa and brazil will continue to be stripped of there natural resources. new gold and silver will be avalible from the opening of over sea mines.
    gold prices will fall to pre 2005 levels.
    silver will rise to new highs.
    plantinum will stay strong at the 1050 dollar leavel.
    oil prices per barrell will remain close to these levels for many years.
    i could go on and on but it is just my oppinion.
    goverments will fall. anarchy will ruel a sort of brand new world order.
    china will leade the world in science and nano tech..
    other than that remain calm and stay in your homes the storm is coming.>>

HMMMMimage

Have a nice day
  • Options
    This is not going to make anyone rich, because the cost of a loaf of bread will be 30 or 40 dollars, if this happens.

Possibly not. But for those who don't diversify properly, it will make then very poor vs. those who diversify accordingly.
    At least the guy holding the coin will not lose purchasing power. We're not gonna see a $40 loaf any time soon...but
    the $5-8 loaf may not be far off.

Note, because gold has been heavily "managed" the past 20 years, it has not been allowed to be a "great equalizer" with
    our money supply. M3 is up 4X since the early 1980's yet gold is at the same value as in 1981. Multiply the current price
    by 4X to come up with a money supply equalization value ($2000/oz). This is what gold is striving towards.

The gold infrastructure was allowed to decline in the 1990's. We have years to work just to catch up. It will take 3-5 years
    or longer to start significantly increasing gold production. Mines do not come into service that quick, not even recovering
    old mines. What we have now is what we have to work with for a while. Current gold production increases supply by 2-3%
    per year. That's a non-factor when gold is moving upwards. Even at +5-10% per year it would be a non-factor.

roadrunner
  • Options

<< <i>Note, because gold has been heavily "managed" the past 20 years, it has not been allowed to be a "great equalizer" with
    our money supply. M3 is up 4X since the early 1980's yet gold is at the same value as in 1981. Multiply the current price
    by 4X to come up with a money supply equalization value ($2000/oz). This is what gold is striving towards.
    >>

Wasn't the price of gold ~$30-40 USD in 1975?

~$250 USD in 1999

Gold is up ~10x+ from where it used to be...

just a thought...

When it gets close to $600 (if it ever does), I think I will sell.

~image
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options

<< <i>HMMMMimage >>

My thougts exactly. image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options

<< <i>When it gets close to $600 (if it ever does), I think I will sell.

~image >>

I don't think you will find any shortage of buyers at that price.

I recently added a bit of gold to my hoard at the $480 level.

If we reach solid footing at the $600 level, I will very likely continue buying.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>When it gets close to $600 (if it ever does), I think I will sell.

~image >>

I don't think you will find any shortage of buyers at that price.

I recently added a bit of gold to my hoard at the $480 level.

If we reach solid footing at the $600 level, I will very likely continue buying. >>

That sounds like a very reasonable plan, plus we're not that far. image

It's kind of funny, it wasn't too long ago that we (me and a friend) were talking about putting down gold tiles in the kitchen (damn you heat conduction! - Ag isn't any better), heck at ~$250/oz it was practically free... another reason why the 3rd world hates us! image (or as my friend says "because we can")

It should be an interesting ride...
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options
    Wasn't the price of gold ~$30-40 USD in 1975?

Yes, but I think the vault in the gold price from 1971-1980 (from $35 to $875) factored in everything and
    then speculation to boot. It had to cover all the inflation that occurred from 1944-1980. That lots of
    'flation.

I could use $875 as the starting point in 1980 but with the final frenzied blowoff, I'd say that the $525 is
    good starting point to assess money stock changes from 1980 to 2005. Using $35 or $875 is not fair imo.
    The money supply did not increase 15X (525/35) in those 36 years from 1944-1980. But then, again
    many investment grade US coins bought in 1944 (like Benson) would have increased 100X in that period.

roadrunner
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two of you have indicated that if gold goes past $530 then we may very well see a runaway price escalation from there.

My question; why at $530 and not at $600 or some other level for the signal?

I would like to see more discussion of this possibility.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    It does appear that folks are looking for $600 to be the next level. Man, that rocket blew through $500 like it was just a cloud in the sky. Hummmmm...just where is that rocket going to land (the million dollar question)?
  • Options
    What will stop .....inflation?

THIS will stop inflation

Just from the inability to pay higher prices.

Then, due to higher costs which can't be passed on or "priced in" we will have a brief STAGflation.

Followed EXTREMELY closely by a full DEE-PRESSION!

America hasn't the slightest HINT of what the already happening housing collapse will mean.

Our entire economy for the past 12 year has been housing (and the ability to borrow against the house to make purchases)

That is about to not only STOP, but go completely away and cause irreparable damage to the average American. No one has even CONSIDERED the effect of construction jobs DISAPPEARING and all the ancillary homebuilding goods and services. Appliances, furniture, materials. All soon to STOP! New cars bought on "home equity loans" will be but a MEMORY!

Entirely too late will come HYPER-inflation. As futile efforts are made to rejuvenate an economy that has sold its jobs to Asia.

At ...that... point, gold may even be DANGEROUS to own. But non owners will perish and see misery beyond comprehension.

What will stop ........gold?

Not a damn thing.

FACT!

On the brighter side, grading fees may be reduced.

• Options
    Oreville, I cannot say what the $529 number is based on, other than Sinclair has placed his hat on that number months ago as the next key battle point after $480. So far the man has not missed a beat.
    And as one of the few to make a killing in the 1980 market, then leave for decades because of the negative "gold" environment, he has earned the right to be listened to.

Even with a $250 increase in the price of gold over the past 4 years the production of gold has dropped every year. Even in the past year, gold production is down sharply once again. This would tend to blow the argument that higher gold prices would be reversed by natural market increases in production. Maybe it will happen at $600/oz? or $800/oz? Not necessarily since gold production is also based on local currency valuations as well as fuel and supplies pricing, not to mention what's actually in the ground. And don't forget that many producers are still hedged on their furture production (they already sold a % of their future prod. at lower prices and have to replace that gold at some point with gold bought at today's value). Hence higher gold prices will actually tend to force them out of business as long as significant hedges remain in place.

Deflation is sure to come...or a severe recession if you will. But only after the govt is done inflating the heck out of the money supply.
    Helo pilot Ben is not going to cave in that quickly to deflation. If he has to double the money supply in 4 years, he'll do it. There are ways of shifting this kind of liquidity to the Bank of Japan and others via electronic cash that does not show up as starkly as M1.
    Bernanke has already done this a few years back. And it is one of the main reasons for our current excess liquidity.

roadrunner
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What will stop .....inflation?

THIS will stop inflation

Just from the inability to pay higher prices.

Then, due to higher costs which can't be passed on or "priced in" we will have a brief STAGflation.

Followed EXTREMELY closely by a full DEE-PRESSION!

America hasn't the slightest HINT of what the already happening housing collapse will mean.

Our entire economy for the past 12 year has been housing (and the ability to borrow against the house to make purchases)

That is about to not only STOP, but go completely away and cause irreparable damage to the average American. No one has even CONSIDERED the effect of construction jobs DISAPPEARING and all the ancillary homebuilding goods and services. Appliances, furniture, materials. All soon to STOP! New cars bought on "home equity loans" will be but a MEMORY!

Entirely too late will come HYPER-inflation. As futile efforts are made to rejuvenate an economy that has sold its jobs to Asia.

At ...that... point, gold may even be DANGEROUS to own. But non owners will perish and see misery beyond comprehension.

What will stop ........gold?

Not a damn thing.

FACT!

On the brighter side, grading fees may be reduced.

image >>

you sound like you're alot of fun @ parties.
    lighten up.
  • Options
    Don't shoot the messenger.

This discussion has been closed.