Home Precious Metals
Options

GOLD AND SILVER WORLD NEWS, ECONOMIC PREDICTIONS

Comments

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The first ten ammendments does name the rights of the citizens. >>

The Bill of Rights places limits on government.

A Con-Con could / would be a very dangerous thing. There are no limitations to their power.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    " <<The first ten ammendments does name the rights of the citizens>>.

The Bill of Rights places limits on government."

the right of the people to peaceably assemble
    the right of the people to bear arms
    The right of the people to be secure
    The right to a speedy and public trial
    the right of trial by jury
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I bid, (1) baloney, (1) BS and a corned beef sangmich.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I was stationed in San Antonio and in Kileen Texas

for a number of years while in the Service. They

were pretty nice folks down there. I was proud to have

them as part of America. I still am proud of them. In fact

I am pretty proud of all 50 of our United States.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    COMEX said warning brokers about December Gold squeeze
    GATA ^ | 12/13 | Bill Murphy

Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:18:14 AM by djf

From "Midas" Commentary by Bill Murphy LeMetropoleCafe.com Friday, December 12, 2008

I received a call this morning from a commodities broker who told me that the Comex is alerting various futures firms about the potential of a squeeze on the December contract and is advising the $840 December shorts to exit their positions. That is the remaining open position.

There have been 12,636 notices of delivery. The shorts have until December 31 to make delivery. Normally they deliver early to take in cash and earn the interest. They must be delaying. As I understand the situation, that represents about 40 percent of the gold available at the Comex, and of course someone could enter the scene late, buy February gold, and then spread into December, which would stun the shorts.

My broker friend said his back office said this sort of alert is highly unusual and that the concern is real, not only for gold, but for other commodities too, like copper and palladium, as there is a good deal of talk of taking deliveries there too. But gold is the one for which the advice to cover went out.

This is an extremely productive development and could spur the price of gold up quickly as word spreads. As we all know, buying Comex gold and silver (the cheapest way to buy precious metals) makes all the sense in the world in this financial environment.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    us folk here (California) aren't all that bad

we'd rather be divided (latitude) in half and have a water war

• Options

<< <i>COMEX said warning brokers about December Gold squeeze
    GATA ^ | 12/13 | Bill Murphy

Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:18:14 AM by djf

From "Midas" Commentary by Bill Murphy LeMetropoleCafe.com Friday, December 12, 2008

I received a call this morning from a commodities broker who told me that the Comex is alerting various futures firms about the potential of a squeeze on the December contract and is advising the $840 December shorts to exit their positions. That is the remaining open position.

There have been 12,636 notices of delivery. The shorts have until December 31 to make delivery. Normally they deliver early to take in cash and earn the interest. They must be delaying. As I understand the situation, that represents about 40 percent of the gold available at the Comex, and of course someone could enter the scene late, buy February gold, and then spread into December, which would stun the shorts.

My broker friend said his back office said this sort of alert is highly unusual and that the concern is real, not only for gold, but for other commodities too, like copper and palladium, as there is a good deal of talk of taking deliveries there too. But gold is the one for which the advice to cover went out.

This is an extremely productive development and could spur the price of gold up quickly as word spreads. As we all know, buying Comex gold and silver (the cheapest way to buy precious metals) makes all the sense in the world in this financial environment. >>

The Financial Times was spinning it more towards the car bail-out failure, yet i have seen the numbers for delivery in December as astounding to say the least...

yanked from you-tube but here are some comments in the link

Embry in Oct 08 TIFWIW
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Who is buying at $800 and change per ounce figuring it to go higher over the next 1-3 years?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is buying at $800 and change per ounce figuring it to go higher over the next 1-3 years?

I've been in an accumulation phase for the past 10 years or so, and right now is no different. The dollar value is unimportant. In fact, the dollar is unimportant.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    "The dollar value is unimportant. In fact, the dollar is unimportant."

Woah, I thought I was the only one that was thinking that way about accumulation.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"We here in Western Colorado, and I make that distinction because it's a different state (of mind), are ready to leave with you. We'll have to build a bridge over New Mexico though."

Hummmmm...well, I see the Oakies, Colorado, AND New Mexico joining with Texas 'cause you have to drive through New Mexico to get to Colorado. We could work out the immigrant situation with our Mexican brothers and sisters, we've always gotten along until the feds started messing with the situation. We could put a border fence up on the west side to keep the Californians out. Of course we could have visas and stuff so if we need to let them in; they can stay for a couple of days. Y'all come. >>

We need to get started on the fence and fields of fire. We have tons of nat-gas and water from the Colorado and Gunnison. 57loaded can join us, he'll have to move though.image

R
  • Options
    Try this "Civics Quiz" on for size:

CIVICS QUIZ

College "Educators" scored 55%
  • Options
    69.7, 4% below norm. Hummmmmm, thought I had a better handle on it than that.
  • Options

<< <i>Try this "Civics Quiz" on for size:

CIVICS QUIZ

College "Educators" scored 55% >>

You answered 26 out of 33 correctly — 78.79 %

Average score for this quiz during December: 74.8%
    Average score: 74.8%

John
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    You answered 27 out of 33 correctly — 81.82 %

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Try this "Civics Quiz" on for size:

CIVICS QUIZ

College "Educators" scored 55% >>

I got 32 out of 33 correct (96.97%). Only got the very last question wrong. Guess that means you all better start listening to me image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Second Republic...I'm listening. Nice job!!!
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Second Republic...I'm listening. Nice job!!! >>

Too bad civics knowledge doesn't translate directly into expertise in making money in PMs image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    You answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %

I got 10. 13, and 14 wrong. 10 was a bad mistake on my part.
  • Options

I missed 8, 10 and 33. They were all trick questions.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Here's my Wifes results: You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

Answers to Your Missed Questions:
    Question #30 - C. decreasing taxes and increasing spending
    Question #31 - A. an increase in a nation’s productivity

Isn't that great!

• Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    You answered 29 out of 33 correctly — 87.88 %. jws
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You answered 28 out of 33 correctly — 84.85 % >>

I guess i'm a B student.

• Options
    You answered 29 out of 33 correctly — 87.88 %

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    85 - not bad for stuff I haven't thought about in 21 years.
  • Options

<< <i>Question #30 - C. decreasing taxes and increasing spending >>

That's not really correct either tho I quessed the answer they wanted. The correct answer should've been D - Reduce taxes and gov't spending.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Question #30 - C. decreasing taxes and increasing spending >>

That's not really correct either tho I quessed the answer they wanted. The correct answer should've been D - Reduce taxes and gov't spending. >>

Yeah but in reality they raise taxes AND increase spending. So that's a question that's subject to debate as to what did they mean?
  • Options
    Here's my Wifes results: You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

Well, MrEG - your wife must be one smart cookie and she knows her civils material, too.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Thanks, I'm going to have my kids take it as well.
  • Options

<< <i>Finally one brave man... >>

Brave man?! He should be taken out and shot. But no, he'll probably be given a bailout.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    The correct answer should've been D - Reduce taxes and gov't spending.

No, the correct answer is C. The desireable answer is D.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>The correct answer should've been D - Reduce taxes and gov't spending.

No, the correct answer is C. The desireable answer is D. >>

The really correct and desirable answer is D. image

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You answered 28 out of 33 correctly — 84.85 %

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sol Palha on gold, dollar, bonds, oil

Some good quick insights from Sol who has typically been fairly accurate on market turns of all types. He is no goldbug and has often taken the contrarian view when he felt the PM's were due for a fall. I find his dollar analysis worth noting:

The dollar today traded below 85.50 another important key price point and as such it indicates that the correction is gathering steam. During this corrective phase the Dollar should not trade below the 83.70-84.00 ranges for more than 6 days, for if it does, the next target will be 81. After hitting 81, it should mount a rally and at least test the 83.00 ranges before pulling back; if it is unable to do this then the next target becomes 78. The dollar could potentially trade all the way down to 75 and there would still be a chance for it put in a new high. If however it trades below 75 for 3 days in row, then one has to seriously start considering the possibility that the dollar might have topped and is now about to resume its downward journey.

We were one of the first to turn bullish on the dollar, but even then we stated this rally would not last forever and the close below 85.50 is the first signal that a top in the dollar might have already been set. Ultimately whether it mounts another rally or not, the dollar will resume it long term down trend and go on to put in new lows sometime in 2009, before a more permanent bottom takes hold. If it mounts a secondary rally, the downward trend will only be delayed but not altered.

Palha sees higher gold prices to $1200, higher commodity prices, and a lower dollar coming. While no time frame is given, based on market cycle lengths and his "new low" for the dollar, the $1200 gold looks like it would occur in 2009.

The picture weakened after gold broke out towards the end of November, rallied all the way to 830 and then broke down and traded as low as 740 before stabilising. The current upside targets are 870-900; in order to get these ranges, Gold will need to trade past 810 once again and after doing so it should not trade below 780 on a closing basis. It should also trade above 780 for at least 9 days in a row. After the 870-900 ranges are tested, Gold will probably mount one final correction, which should take it to the 720 ranges; a break below this for more than 7-9 days will result in a test of the 650 ranges. The next correction should provide the basis for a long term bottom and gold will probably rally all the way to 1200 before correcting again.

On a humorous note, I find it comical that an insolvent firm like Goldman Sachs can drop "ITS" rating on other corporations and people actually listen to that crap. Unbelievable! What about GS's ratings? Yeah, it's the same GS that a few years ago decided one day that oil was at too large of a % in it's commodity index fund. So instantly numerous pension and other types of funds had to quickly rebalance, driving the price of oil down as they sold off shares. Good ole GS! No doubt they made no money off such knowledge.

Between the FED refusing to release TARP information via the FOI to Bloomberg (ie the public) and Bernie Madoff's (ie "made off" with your cash) $50 BILL "investor" fund Ponzi scheme, it's a wonder there is any confidence in bankers and financiers. And even Bush's last minute minor "change" to the TARP bill that put a limit on executive pay and bonuses is now toothless. That last minute change only levied the requirement if the TARP monies were used to buy leveraged securities from those firms. Since TARP hasn't done that, there are no restrictions on executive pay making them eligible for whatever bonuses and pay they decide to award themselves. Don't you think that Paulson knew early on that no TARP money was going to buy illiquid securities such as MBS, CDS's, etc?

So it's no stretch that gold and other hard assets can benefit as a legitimate haven from the above pitfalls. Madoff ran his fund for the past 15 years dodging all sorts of inquiries from people who questioned his fund's tactics. The SEC was right there failing to investigate and provide oversight. Yet in this opaque environment there are still sheeple who feel that the precious metals markets (especially gold) are not manipulated by our Goldman Sachs' (and JPM) govt plantees in favor of the US Dollar.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    32 out of 33 questions.....

The Puritans tripped me up!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Adrian Douglas: The gold rush is on >>

Interesting article.

"- Coin-melt gold bars are showing up on the wholesale market, indicative of the bottom of the barrel."

"Former Federal Reserve Governor Lyle Gramley appeared on Canadian television this week and hinted that a big upward revaluation of gold may figure heavily in the Fed's attempt to rescue the U.S. economy. This comment suggests that the issue is in the hands of the Fed." -----A suggestion that a new revalued currency that may be tied to gold standard of some sort?
    ----- kj
  • Options
    The issue of "coin-melt" bars is an interesting one. The US always had held a large number of coin melt bars from the 1920's to 1930's period. But it was hypothesized by some that the US would not want it known that coin melt bars were ever hitting the market because we were essentially the only source of them (ie the US Treasury was selling off/leasing out gold). The little people might not take it so well if they knew their dowry was being parceled off. Hence the need to keep all the gold transactions between central bank's well concealed. Banks selling off gold or leasing it away can still record that gold on its books. Likewise the receiving bank also lists the same gold on its books....efficient double counting and no trail. Ponzi had nothing on these guys.

A 50% FED rate cut today to 0.5% almost seems pre-ordained by all the pundits. Probably another reason why gold has been trending up.

roadrunner
  • Options

<< <i>How deflation creates Hyperinflation >>

good link ttown...even the site has good links on it

also roadrunner....i like to see contrarian-to-gold-bug thought, diverge a wee bit

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How deflation creates Hyperinflation >>

Neat and simple, even a caveman can understand.
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Once the dollar hits new lows and gold breaks convincingly over $1000, Investors expecting deflation will begin to panic, and a flood of money will come out of treasuries. It is then that hyperinflation will begin in earnest.

Investors will come out of Treasuries and flood the economy with money if they expect deflation? Isn’t that the exact opposite of what one would expect them to do, and in fact isn’t it the exact opposite of what this writer said is happening right now? He says that "everyone is panicking into treasuries due to deflation fears. Negative yields on the 3 month treasuries are a sign of this."

And didn’t gold already pass the $1,000 mark without panic or hyperinflation?

CG

• Options
    Once the dollar hits new lows and gold breaks convincingly over $1000, Investors expecting deflation will begin to panic, and a flood of money will come out of treasuries. It is then that hyperinflation will begin in earnest.

In other words the huge majority that have believe in deflation for years (and preached by the media and govt) will get a wake-up call when gold passes $1000....indicating they were wrong on the inflation vs. deflation scenario, as was the media, govt, etc.

I would disagree and say that gold did indeed pass $1000 in a "panic" as the BSC failure (and a banking failure) was looming on the horizon, not to mention a number of other banks and brokerages waiting in the wings to be the next to go. It wasn't honey and sunshine anymore.

The USDollar Index fell to just above 0.80 today, a massive fall for just a few days and now about 10% less than it's latest high and only 1 pt away from the midpoint of the latest cycle range of 70-88.

The biggest robbery in history......

roadrunner
  • Options

<< <i>Here's my Wifes results: You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

Well, MrEG - your wife must be one smart cookie and she knows her civils material, too.image >>

Yeah man! I watched her too. Took less than 10 minutes, one shot and done. Considering english is a second language.....and the propaganda growing up. Has read Thomas Paine, the Declaration, the Freeman from FEE, on Ron Paul's list.

• Options
    Investors will come out of Treasuries and flood the economy with money if they expect deflation? Isn’t that the exact opposite of what one would expect them to do, and in fact isn’t it the exact opposite of what this writer said is happening right now?

Slow down. Yeah, if people EXPECT deflation and it DOESN'T HAPPEN, then they will get out of Treasuries, in droves. And that's what you would expect.

What's happening now is that people EXPECT deflation. And that's why they are going into Treasuries NOW. They think that Treasuries are secure, even though they aren't paying squat. They are wrong.

He says that "everyone is panicking into treasuries due to deflation fears. Negative yields on the 3 month treasuries are a sign of this."

Exactly right.

And didn’t gold already pass the $1,000 mark without panic or hyperinflation?

That was how many $Trillion ago? The dollars are coming through the system now.

Also, that was before the Chinese got a sweetheart deal, allowing them to swap Fannie & Freddie bonds for Treasuries.

That was also before Paulson decided that they weren't going to buy devalued properties, but instead, they'd just give money to the banks. The plan is to fill up the banks' coffers to overflowing, and that's what's happening now.

The place is going to be floating in excess dollars, and they won't stop. It's like a damn parade these days.

I knew it would happen.
This discussion has been closed.