Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Your favorite grading reference?

What reference work do you use most often when grading U.S. coins?

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I like the ANA better than photograde
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I usually use a combination of ANA and Photograde, and where applicable, specialty grading standards (i.e. Fly-In standards for my Indian cents).
  • Options
    I have a Photograde and have started using Coin Values for the UNC+ and mid-grade pictures and descriptions. What makes the ANA Guide better?
  • Options
    PCGS grading guide.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    I use the ANA and PCGS guides on the rare occasions I have to figure out a non-MS grade.

For MS, I just pull a number out of my...hat image
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    I with chuckfarthing, Photograde & Coin values & also common sense..............Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    ANA. I don't know how anyone can use Photograde. Their pics are so grainy.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    I used to use Photograde. Right now, I am using PCGS grading guide image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    Is the PCGS Grading Guide available to the general public? Why is it special?
  • Options

<< <i>Is the PCGS Grading Guide available to the general public? Why is it special? >>

No. Because it's not available to the general public.

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    The PCGS Grading Guide is tops in my book ... I just wish they would follow it themselves. image
  • Options
    Where can one find the PCGS grading guide? I being a collector club'd member should be able to review this for future reference, should I not?
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    I checked around here and I don't see where PCGS offers its grading guide for sale. It was available at Amazon when it was first reissued this year, but now it apparently is not for sale there. Gold and above Collectors' Club members can get it "free" with a membership or renewal -- that offer still stands -- and that is where I got mine. Does anyone know where you can outright buy one?
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    PCGS grading guide. I have both the first and second edition. The first edition, IMHO, had MUCH better photography and since the information changes were minor between the editions, let me give a big giant recommendation to the first edition of the PCGS grading guide!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't PCGS offer the guide for sale in their store ? I know they sell them because one was purchased at the Portland ANA Show. Maybe they quit selling them though.

BTW I like the first edition much better.

Edit to answer the question. A dealer in Vancouver WA is my favorite reference. If any doubt is in the mind I ask him for a opinion. Usually we are very close with the opinions.

Ken
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I started with Photograde originally. But after taking the ANA grading class, I just can't get much out of the videos and books anymore on grading. Shoot, I need to take the class again to keep it in my mind.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    a combo of my experience and the first edition of the pcgs grading guide as a reference for some higher grades ms and proof

and for circ coins THE ONLY ONE TO USE THE BEST AND NEVER BEEN BESTED brown and dunn

michael
  • Options
    BUMP for early morning peeps. image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ANA Grading Guide is still the best. It has photos of every type of coin in each of the major grades. Unlike Photograde, all of the examples shown are pretty much what they should be and the photos are quite good.

Photograde was an outstanding opening effort, but it was far from perfect. The ANA Guide improved upon.

The PCGS grading guides like photos for many grades, which is a disappointmen
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I really like the PCGS guide as it is pretty informative to a novice grader like myself.

putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file