Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When a Dealer asks "what do you need for that coin"

cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
Really bothers me. You know why?
Because they don't want to leave any money on the table.

EXAMPLE: If you shoot a price of $100.00 (first), and they were willing to offer $200.00 for the coin, guess what, you just lost $100.00. This is why I get a price first. If no price (from dealer first), I move on to the next dealer......................After all THEY know the market a whole lot better than the collector does!!

Any opinions...........................

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I would reply to that question, "retail value, so let's negotiate from there." image
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    You should know what your bottom line on a coin is. Either the dealer will offer you that, or you move on to another dealer. The "what do you need for this coin" is just another in the dealer's bag-o-tricks.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I don't think it's a "bag-o-tricks".

When I'm sitting behind a table, I want to know how much a seller is looking to receive for that item. If they are quoting Greysheet ask (example) for dipped out white, common date Morgans, well, there is no need for me to waste their or my time any further.

I'm looking more for a ballpark of a sellers perceived value than anything else when I ask that or a similar question, pertaining to the asking price of an item.

BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Bag-o-tricks was used figuratively, not literally. If you look at what I posted, it virtually matches what you said. The "how much do you need for this coin" line is one of the standard dealer lines, and one must not be offended by it.
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    It's called low-balling. A tactic widely used by car dealers.

I dislike its use by coin dealers. Dealers should know what a fair price is for something they want to buy. Lowballing provides the dealer an opportunity for paying a not-so-fair price.

Joe.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    When a Dealer asks "what do you need for that coin"

If you don't like that approach, just answer back, "I need your offer."
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    You don't have to answer such a question, which is really asking what did you pay for the coin. Simply tell the dealer how much you want for the coin. If you own it, and want to sell, you should be prepared to put a price on it.
  • Options
    And of course, the flip side of this from a dealer's perspective is "what's the best you can do on this". It works both ways.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When a Dealer asks "what do you need for that coin" >>

This usually happens AFTER I have quoted my price. I just give them a firm look and say...
    "I JUST TOLD YOU WHAT I NEED" And move on.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    It's not a black and white issue. Sometimes I ask what someone wants to qualify them. If a guy thinks his coin is worth $100 and I offer $25 thinking I can sell it for $30 he's going to walk away mad. Then he's going to get on the message board and talk about that lousy cheapskate dealer that offered $25 for his $100 coin. Sometimes I'm not that interested in buying the coin or really don't know the value and ask what they want just to see what they say. Another situation is if a guy owns a coin, has a bid sheet and has already talked to 10 other dealers about it it's time to be a man and step up and give a price. If someone is genuinly interested in selling a coin, doesn't know what they want if I want the coin I'll make an offer. If it's something I deal in it's really not a big deal. Making offers is second nature. I'm a dealer and believe it or not I don't sit around like an evil spider trying to figure out how to rip people off. Usually I just like paying a fair price and selling it for a fair price.
  • Options
    Who here thinks they are going to get retail from a dealer........ ?
  • Options
    It most certainly does cut both ways. When we ask a dealer what he wants for a coin that he has an unmarked price on, then aren't we doing the exact same thing? If the dealer quotes us a price of half of what we were thinking, then would we say we really should pay him more, as the coin is such and such variety or undergraded, etc.? Of course not. Don't always assume the dealer knows exactly what a coin is worth and don't assume that the dealer knows more about your specialty than you do. Chances are he doesn't.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    No offense taken K6az. image

BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion is that you must not know the market very well and you should probably learn a bit more before losing money on any coin transactions.

Probably so.

I have been peeling off coins that do not fit my core collecting interest that I have picked up along the way. For these coins, I really have no idea what the approximate retail, wholesale, auction, ebay, etc. values are. I loathe the "what do you need for the coin?" question. I usually stammer some stupid number when asked (I was similarly burned when I bought a used car this spring image.

For the coins that I actively buy (and occasionally sell), I have a very good idea what these numbers are, and I feel like I have a lot more control of the transaction (buy or sell).
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no harm in a dealer asking that question. Always do your homework before selling. If you have nice coins and want offers, then consider one of the auction houses and just let them deal with it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    It's been my experience that the person who own the coin always quotes the first price. And most dealers wont know more than you in your nich. My typical answer to dealers asking that question is, "90% of greysheet bid." I realize they can usually whole sell it for 90-100% of GSB, so I make it safe for them. ...and if it's a registry quality coin, I dont sell it to dealers... there are plenty of collectors that will pay average market for that stuff.

David
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

It's a legit question. When selling, you should have a ballpark idea of what kind of money you want, and you should be prepared to throw out a number.

When you're at a dealer's table perusing his inventory, don't you ask what he "wants" for a particular coin? The same should apply to you as a seller. It's your coin.....how much do you want to sell it for? Once that's out of the way, let the haggling begin. While I don't see a problem asking a dealer what his interest would be for a certain coin, I feel the seller should be obliged to thow out the first number.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LincolnCentMan, I think you are getting toward the issue that makes it most difficult for Joe Average Smalltimish Collector when quoting a price to a dealer. It isn't easy for a person who doesn't do tons and tons of this to know what is the right percentage of sheet to expect to sell a given coin at. With really desireable stuff, it might be realistic to expect to sell it to a dealer for 90% or better; I would expect these to be the things a dealer figures they have a ready retail market for. It seems like a lot of dealers buy to wholesale to other dealers, though, and for ordinary no-great-shakes collector coins it might have to be more like 70% or so for there to be enough money in it to make it worthwhile for the buying dealer. With junk, even less. I think I'm only just arriving at the point where I can go to a dealer with an informed, realistic asking price that's fair to both of us.
    mirabela
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking someone what they want for a coin, even if you are a dealer. likewise, there is absolutely nothing wrong with not giving that dealer an answer if you don't want to. It is wrong to assume that the dealer is just looking to "lowball" you if he asks you what you want for your coin(s).

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you ask the dealer how much he wants for his coin then it's only fair for the dealer to ask the seller how much he want for his coin
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Unless its a PCGS Morgan DMPL CC mint, I just say 10% over bid, This a very nice coin! (Of course it requires a subscription but if you have the sheets at least you won't get lowballed.) Then he says no "I'm not interested," and I say" Are you blind This is on everyones want list ! What do you think it's worth?" and He says" the cheek is baggy but... etc. etc. ". Seems easy to me.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you need for this. That's just what I ask of the dealer.
    I'm glad they ask the same. Why play around. There must be a starting point.image
    Larry

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Dealer: "What do you need for that coin?"

You: "A night with your wife."

Dealer: "I don't think so."

You: "Then how about cash?"
  • Options
    I feel that I, as a collector selling a coin, need to know the GS bid for the average coin, what I have in the coin, quality of the coin and what I will take, bottom line. If not, I should go another direction, such as auctions or consignments.

The above philosophy in reverse, is how I purchase coins. I know what the price of an average coin for the grade is, and make a judgement of what I will pay, based on the coin as I view it. This way, I know if I can buy it when the dealer tells me his price.

I do not take offense to "what do you need out of the coin", anymore than dealers do with "what can you do".
    Gary
  • Options
    I was a coin show this past Saturday and a coin dude brought a textile coin to me and asked me a few questions including "what would you pay me for it". I told him $200. He couldn't accept my offer fast enough. I think I could have gotton it alot cheaper. That's my life story. I could become a member of Densa, I'll have you know. At least he gave me a good handshake afterwords.
  • Options
    I disagree.

First, low-balling as used in different industries is a concept not a definition. It basically is getting a dollar amount out of the other party so you know where the ceiling/floor is.

As far as what has been written in the previous posts, I think it is interesting that many would bash "wannabe dealers" but now you expect Joe Blow (no pun intended) collector to basically have all the information of at least a wannabe dealer when selling his coins. Sorry, you can't have it both ways.

I expect a "dealer" not to use his knowledge to take unfair advantage of Joe Blow collector. Yes, I believe the burden is on the dealer to make sure the "deal" is right for both parties.

Joe.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    If a dealer makes an offer then it makes the collector mad.
    If the dealer asks how much the collector wants then it makes the collector mad.
    Poor ole dealers. They can't win for losing! heehe haha

If a collector thinks he can negotiate a deal by either him or the dealer uttering 2 simply sentences then he obviously doesn't know the art of making a deal. There's the initial offer, then counteroffers then more counteroffers, then the expected remarks about the dealers being a tightwad and squeaking when he walks then more counteroffers. Just like when you're buying a car or a house or trying to get a better rate on a CD down at the bank.

However on a $100 coin the dealer pretty much knows what he will pay and there really isn't much room for haggling.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    My response to the question, is to quote them about 10% below the typical
    retail price. Naturally this is more than any dealer would want to pay but at least
    it gives them a starting point. A few dealers will shake their heads and offer much
    lower (typically these are the guys with tables near the door, funny how that is).
    I'll usually look for a dealer who seems to specialize in the type I'm selling. These
    dealers will have a better appreciation of the going price and will figure they can
    turn it around quicker.

The first couple of times I sold coins to dealers, I was nervous and unsure. But
    after a while I learned to relax and now I actually look forward to it. It's an
    opportunity to have a little friendly haggling. Then again, I'm the type of guy who
    will spend two hours at a car dealership working on the price.

Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with that question because it establishes the price where you start the negotiations from. The reason why a collector selling their coins dislikes being asked this question, is because they are put at a disadvantage initially in the negotiations. The party who is first to ask this question naturally has the advantage, as they don't have to reveal what they would pay for the item.

However, if you think about it, the dealer is more often at the disadvantage in the negotiations. The dealer has his prices listed on his coins, and if he doesn't, the collector will then ask. By listing and quoting prices all the time, the dealer is constantly being asked "what do you need for that coin?" The question is fair and necessary, but no one likes entering negotiations with this disadvantage.

In my line of work, price negotiation is part of the game. I don't deal with the general public the way a dealer does, but someone is always at a disadvantage, depending on the specifics of the deal. It's a risk you have to take when entering into negotiations, which is why it is important for you to understand the market for what you are buying or selling. In other words, don't sell the coin unless you know what you expect to get from it. Don't blame the dealer because you entered into the negotiation with one hand tied behind your back. Offer your figure with confidence and phrase it as such that you're willing to negotiate on the final sale price.
    Tim
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the important thing to in a negotiation is to leave your options open.

If you're asked "What do you need" you should at least give a price you'd be happy to sell it for, it may be high, but it starts the negotiation. Remember, it's your coin, you always have to option to say "NO".

Fairness on both sides of the negotiation should be apparent, otherwise walk. Don't try to trap the dealer, or you'll piss her off and she may just pass on you (she may even be the high high buyer). If the dealer gives you what you feel is a unfair price, ask her to show how she arrived at that number. Again you can always say "no".

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    her? image

Rick, I would like to believe that if I showed you an Indian Head cent that I have for sale (and no rarity, one you sell day in and day out) that you do not need to ask me "What do I need for it?", you already know what a fair price is for you to buy it.

You are the expert and as such I expect you to treat me ethically. (This is not to say that anything already posted is necessarily unethical)

Joe.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, "I" would treat your fairly. As a recognized expert, I get collectors and dealers asking me for my input on pricing all the time. I always feel obligated to give the best opinion I can. You have to ask though.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    At least he gave me a good handshake afterwords. >>

Hey he could have tried to kiss you instead Adrian. Then what would you have done?

Tomimage
  • Options
    Depends. Did he grab my butt too?
  • Options
    You have to ask though.

Not sure what that means.

If the dealer is asking "What do you need for that coin?", I assume I have already asked what he would give me for it.
    Or is there some other way to ask?

Joe.

Edit: spelling
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is encumbent upon the seller to:

1. Know his/her material
    If you know the value of your material there is little chance of any money being left on the table.

2. Know his/her price
    As the seller of the material you are obligated to provide an asking price and negotiate from there.

It sounds as though you're paranoid that the dealer is going to tuck you up, when, in fact, the dealer is asking a perfectly legitimate question. Don't forget, when you offer a coin for sale (even to a dealer), YOU become the dealer.

How would you like it if you walked up to a dealer's table, asked how much a particular coin was, and he/she replied, "What'll you give me for it?"

Just my two-cents

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    YOU become the dealer

That's exactly my point, I am NOT a dealer and there seems to be an awful lot of disgust on these boards for wannabe dealers.

But now all of a sudden when I want to sell a DEALER a coin, I am supposed to be as savvy as a dealer. So there are no amateurs in this hobby that should not be taken advantage of by professionals?

"What'll you give me for it?"

Yes, I have been asked that question by dealers also.

Joe.
  • Options
    Well, Joe,

If I walked up to a dealer's table and asked for a price and got that response, I'd go to another table.

As a collector, you should be aware of the value of your coins and should be able to quote an accurate price when asked. With a modicum of effort on your part you should be able to come up with a solid figure on value. There are many price guides and other resources at your disposal. This is your best insurance in avoiding leaving money on the table.

Don't forget, there are just as many collectors out there who know just as much, if not more, than some dealers. The only difference being which side of the table you're on.

Reading and research cannot be underscored as the best tools to realizing maximum price for your coins. This is not a shot at you, personally, but good advice for all collectors both new and seasoned. Reading and research builds confidence. When I first started collecting and sold some of my first coins I always felt uneasy when I left the table feeling that I just sold myself short. Reading and research gave me the confidence I needed to negotiate effectively in both buying AND selling.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    This is not a shot at you image

None taken. image

But your answer as well as others seem to be saying that their is NO responsilbility on the dealer's part to treat a "customer" "fairly".

I disagree with this. If you are acting as a "professional" then I expect you to be "professional" (ethical/fair) in your dealings with the "public".

It is not necessarily about "leaving money on the table". As I wrote in a previous post, it is hard for me to believe that Rick Snow has to ask "What do you need" for an Indian Head cent when he most assuredly knows as a dealer in Indian Head cents what is a "fair" price for him to pay for such a coin.

Joe.
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Reading and research cannot be underscored as the best tools to realizing maximum price for your coins >>

• Options
    I'm not saying that there is any good excuse for a dealer to treat a customer unfairly, what I am saying is that by arming yourself with good information, the unscrupulous dealers will be at a disadvantage and you will have the respect of the good dealers.

Cheers,

Bob

BTW, excellent thread...image

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    It's my coin, I'll price it. If it's your coin, you price it. A dealer making an offer on my coin, a bad place to start from.
  • Options
    Ok, I haven't read every single post, so maybe someone has already said this, but, here goes:

If your coin is worth more than, say, $100, then you've GOT to have a price in mind when you approach a dealer. Prices aren't that hard to find. Ebay, for example, shows sales from the past 30 days. Heritage archives, others come to mind. When the dealer asks, tell him, "Well, one of these sold on Heritage the other day for $XXX and they're selling on ebay for $XXX, and I want to get a price in that range."

If he declines, he declines. Someone will buy it, someone has been buying in that range.

Mike

• Options
    image...because I think it's been one of the more interesting threads lately...image

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was looking for information on a different topic and this old post turned up--interesting debate about pricing and offering as a collector to a dealer, and the initiation of price negotiations.

I've started offering my excess as a way to keep my new collecting interests funded. Mostly coins I've upgraded, or acquired as part of estate sales and the like. Learning to price and to sell is an eye-opening process, and I'm just setting up at club bourses, not at shows.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some classic names in this old thread.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could start at 5pct behind CDN bid

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file