Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Table manors Poll? Did I do the right thing?

tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
I attended the trenton show today.......sorry I missed you Barry, I was really in and out at 9:30 to about 10:15, caugth up with a buddy from Kindergarten and we had a few hours of chat and lunch......anyhow, decent show, small but decent. Dealers not overly friendly, few were friendly and greeted me .....the coins were numerous, very few very nice, lots of nice and lots of so so....but i didnt dig and ask for very very nice coins.......budget.....

So, I sell a coin for $300, hoping to get $150.....I full well advertise its scratched, show the dealer the Redlabel PCI tomb, he shows his friend, we talk, he offers, I take. money changes hand and its in my pocket, I shop his stuff and two minutes pass....he look at the coin again and says, "wait i changed my mind".

I am about to walk away and I stop and we strike a deal for $175.....I am happy, walk and we shake and I leave.

Whats your alternate story...........and be honest.
Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.

Comments

• Options
    an extra $125 in my pocket would have been another kitchen cabinet base in my wifes eyes.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Hmmm.....I thought all the dealers and most collectors were ranting that there are no returns at coin shows. Apparently this dealer didn't know the rule either.
  • Options
    man, I feel too nice.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    A deal is a deal. I wouldnt have "ran away," but once it's done, it's done. I certainly wouldnt have offered to give the dude $125, but I might have offered to buy the coin back at 80-90% of the sale price.

David
  • Options
    It doesn't sound like the dealer knew what he was doing. I would have been more inclined to give him all his money back and take the coin back. Buy, wasn't there. It would be nice to hear from dealers on this. I'm not sure if what "he" did was the right protocol, but you definitely didn't do anything wrong.

Jerry
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Based upon the facts, as presented, the dealer acted unprofessionally and the seller was not obligated in any way to void the original transaction.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sell a very nice, but scratched and PCI red label graded coin. >>

I'm not so sure this statement computes. If a red labeled (cleaned), scratched coin qualifies as "very nice" then what does it take for a coin to be considered "crap"?

I think he took advantage of you. He purchased the coin sight seen. A deal is a deal.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Based upon the facts, as presented, the dealer acted unprofessionally and the seller was not obligated in any way to void the original transaction. >>
      Mark will you quit bashing the dealersimage. mike image
    • Options
      done deal.

Mike

• Options
      GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
      Exactly. It was a DONE DEAL!!!
    • Options
      OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Done deal...End of story!
    • Options
      Dealer changed his mind ?
      Tough S**T !

Buy from a dealer and walk back 2 minutes later and see what happens !
    • Options
      DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
      No need to get mad, but this one was a done deal.

The dealer made a professional decision to buy the coin. Changing his mind and wanting to back out was VERY unprofessional.
      When in doubt, don't.
    • Options
      would he have done the same for you?

not likely
      "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
    • Options
      GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I sell a very nice, but scratched and PCI red label graded coin. >>

I'm not so sure this statement computes. If a red labeled (cleaned), scratched coin qualifies as "very nice" then what does it take for a coin to be considered "crap"?

I think he took advantage of you. He purchased the coin sight seen. A deal is a deal. >>

Red label doesn't necessarily mean cleaned. PCI uses it for a coin damaged in any manner. To the original question - I agree with what seems to be the consensus, it was a done deal. You were too kind, and the other person was somewhat irresponsible.
    • Options
      BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
      Sorry I missed you Tom. On the subject at hand, I agree with "a deal is a deal."
    • Options
      You were asking $300 and willing to take $175, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Have a Great Day!
      Louis
    • Options
      coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>You were asking $300 and willing to take $175, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! >>

Louis, if I understand the scenario correctly, it sounds as if he was willing to take $175 (or less) but was OFFERED $300 by the dealer.
    • Options
      ldhairldhair Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
      The dealer should have never ask. He put you on the spot.
      You did the friendly thing but maybe not the right thing.

He owes you one. At the next show find something you like and collectimage
      Larry

• Options
      ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

A deal's a deal in my eyes. I'll tell you my story. I went to the Pittsburgh ANA. Unfortunately I forgot to bring price guides that I always
      go armed with. I wound up at a dealer's table that I have met before (but never bought from), he's a forum member, and I saw a coin I
      liked. We enjoyed chatting for awhile and I thought this would be a no-brainer matter of trust. I buy a coin.

I get home & check several price guides. I paid $1,700 for a coin that according to the most generous price guide is worth $800. There was
      nothing special about it like exceptional toning, etc. I just got screwed because I wasn't prepared.

As far as the deal? I'll see this guy again at some point. But I won't say a word. He's a scumbag but I agreed to his outrageous price and
      a deal's a deal. I figure I could go back & scream at him and maybe I'd get my money back but that would probably make me look more
      stupid than I already am.

You should've told the dealer that you were sorry he changed his mind but you were not refunding anything and left. Just like me in my
      incident- It was up to him to be prepared to make the deal.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
      I guess I am too nice and the way I look at is this:

He doesnt owe me one. The way I figure it is that I did my good deed in an unselfish manner........I am a healer........a therapist...thats what I do for a living to make $$$$, I help people walk, and live after life threatening events, such as strokes and accidents.............yes i could have used more $$$, but there is this book I read about do unto others.........as they would do unto you....................

makes sense i guess, but I am changing it a bit......do unto others, even if they do it to you first....you dont have to do it back.

Tom

ps. A gestrure on his part afterward, such as a "thank you".......... or "heres a 1881-S Morgan in PCGS 62 for you kindness" would have been appropriate on his behalf, but I only accept whats offered to me, never expect kindness in return.

I'm ramblin.

• Options
      Ok, so I am 15 coins shy on my way to a complete Barber half collection, and if I had that $125 extra it could have been three or four semi keys in my pocket
    • Options
      tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
      I appreciate your kindness. It's a quality very few possess any more. Including me. You should not have accepted a change of $125 in price. Ok, if he changed his mind. Let's just say by $50 and he wanted to pay $250 for it. $125 was a huge hit to take on your part. I know you were ready to take $150 total for the coin and you got it plus some, but once he offered $300, that was his decision.
    • Options
      man, i am a sap.
    • Options
      After all,it was a "DEALER" and he made the offer or accepted your ask price !
      Done deal.

Go to the supermarket and buy some steaks for 6.99 a pound,take m back 5 minutes later and tell em you only wanna pay 3.99 !
    • Options
      tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>man, i am a sap. >>

Not much you can do about it now. Use it as a learning lesson. But again, you were happy and he was happy. So what does it matter what we think?
    • Options
      roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
      One has to wonder how many other times this "professional" pulled that some stunt. I can assure it was not the first time. Stuff like that takes practice. Many used car dealers practice those techniques all the time.

Pro's don't get 2nd chances when it comes to the public. If 2 pros want to argue about a shady coin that's different.

roadrunner
      Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    • Options
      ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Tom,

I could sympathize with the guy if he bought the coin from you sight unseen (as only a very naive person would buy a coin sight unseen without a return privilege). But he saw the coin & offered $300. He's a dealer, not someone who hasn't quite 'graduated' from state quarters.

The only time I would cut a guy like this some slack was if I had an ongoing relationship with him and wanted it to continue. OTOH, if it was just someone I saw at a show & did business with him for the first time, etc., as we used to say in Jr. High School, "you lose, Buckwheat!"
      "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
      "Seu cabra da peste,
      "Sou Mangueira......."
    • Options
      <Got angry and tell him a deals a deal>

Where is the next choice? Don't get angry, be nice, but tell him a deal is a deal?
    • Options
      GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
      Backing out of deals is just wrong. Just now on Ebay I had a guy do a BIN, then emails back that he made a mistake. I'm ok with the mistake and I won't give him negative feedback but I told him he could pay for the $8.45 for my insertion and final value fee or else I'd have to report him to Ebay as a non-paying bidder to recoup my money. He hasn't responded back as of yet, so he's costing me more time and money.
      Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
    • Options
      relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

It was a done deal
      My posts viewed image times
      since 8/1/6
    • Options

<< <i>Where is the next choice? Don't get angry, be nice, but tell him a deal is a deal? >>

Uhmm, thats a good suggestion and a potentially the best ending to it all.

I know i cant change what happened, but it sucks to suffer financially from kindness.

oh yeah, it also lowers my feelings of vendors/dealers just another notch.....I have just came across so few who will take their time and are genuinely nice.....except for on this forum, where there have been a few real standout people........thanks,
      tom
    • Options

<< <i> but there is this book I read about do unto others.........as they would do unto you.. >>

Hey, what book is that? I know one that says something that sounds something like that but means the complete opposite. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (Yours says, to paraphase "They would screw me so it's Ok for me to screw them too.")
    • Options
      K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
      We are talking about a sight seen deal here, not sight unseen. I would expect a dealer with a table to act professionally. He bought your coin after inspecting it for $300. If it were me, it would be a done deal and he would not be getting a refund later.
    • Options
      Did you ask him for 300 or did he offer it? If you offered the coin for 300 and he said yes, maybe you felt guilty about taking advantage of him so you didn't fight it. But if he offered the 300, would have said a deal is a deal. Just a psychiatrist's take on his day off
    • Options
      He offered, I asked him to make an offer, I dont know what the series is worth, I had $125 into it from a few years ago(five), enjoyed the coin but would rather move on. I would have taken $150 just to get out from under it. He Offered $300 I said sold and the quick enchange of money took place........my fatal error, ..........................see if I wanted to spend money on the guys stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file