Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm Finished Here; Goodbye

Most of you won't care but this is my last post here. I've only been posting here a few weeks and am completly turned off by all the "Bashing" I see here. It's harder every day to find useful information about coins and coin colecting. I wish all the "Bashers" well as they continue their journey through life as negative people.imageimage

Comments

• Options
  • Options

LeeG, I encourage you to stay. I predict that the forum will get back to coin collecting topics very soon.

Perhaps Carol should start a "bashing" forum so that the U.S. Coin Forum won't be polluted with trash talk. image
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    This place is great! Good and bad, I learn every single day. Thanks, guys.imageimage
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

I love this place,

LeeG,you should stay.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    BASHING?????????????? I thought we were just having fun!!!!!
  • Options
    Don't let bashers ruin your enjoyment of this site.
    There are still many positive attributes to participating here, and I'd like to see you stay.image
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options

All summer long I`ve been tring to push for a " Rockem Sockem Robot " Forum. When a heated arguement isn`t going anywhere, they would be transported to the Rockem Sockem Robot Forum to duke it out. The first person that knocks down the other twice wins the arguement whether they where right or not.
  • Options
    You're taking it waaaaay too seriously.

• Options
    Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater...

In other words, don't read the threads you don't like.
    Dave - Durham, NC
  • Options

<< <i>You're taking it waaaaay too seriously. >>

Maybe, maybe not. For me I decided to get out of coins and collect currency. The last few days aren't the only factor. Through all the bashing, I actually learned something about the AT/NT stuff...that's what ruined it for me.

Jerry
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Collect what YOU like / want, Jerry. That way, you 'll never be disappointed, i think.image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LeeG, these things come in waves, this is only the most recent "bashfest"; things will calm down soon.

UncleWiggly, who said,
    I decided to get out of coins and collect currency

hoo boy! watch out for those bleached/ironed/trimmed/repaired etc etc notes!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Oh yeah, switch over to currency collecting. Its much safer there. No one doctors currency to make money.image
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we hate to see you go.....image
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    There is no requirement to read every post. Read and learn from the threads that relate to collecting. There are many perspectives here and sometimes a flame war erupts. I, for one, have not read the thread with 400+ posts. On the other hand, I have learned an immense amount from folks like TDN, Cardinal.. etc. about glorious coins that I will never be able to afford, yet I love knowing about. Stay and hang out.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LeeG: Eventually you learn to focus on the posts and the posters who you find interesting and learn to tune out those that you find annoying.

There are a whole lot of postive and encouraging forum participants, and it's worth sticking around to discover them and form relationships with them.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Lee,
    You can't take most of this seriously. There are a LOT of indifferent opinions in this forum. There are many perspectives to any view from the forum members as we are all spread far and wide. Take for instance, some of us here like to do metal detecting. There is a definate need to CLEAN some coins, but purists and dealers have different views on how it should be handled. If you find a coin in a clay area, you use one method if in a dense growth with a lot of decomposition, you have to use another.

Bashing is in fact another method of learning, just with different definitions on how something is done. There is a lot to learn here and even though a lot of folks don't see eye-to-eye but we all have one thing in common, our desire (or lust) of coins. Some use them for profit, others to collect. A collector doesn't have to think like a dealer and visa-versa. Take LordM for example, on his vest and hat are some of the more desirable coins that you could ever want.....but they have holes in them!!! To some, they are nothing more than melt now but to others (like me) they are a more affordable means of obtaining a coin that is out of wallets reach at the moment.

In regards to the latest heat, if you are a dealer of coins you WILL find the best manner of creating a profit. Some morals may be in question, but it's for the same goal.....if given the means to finish a registry set and you have but 1 or 2 coins to completion, you come across the opportunity to have a coin at a lesser cost (be it toned, an error, specific variety, or a freshly minted modern) and have a buyer for it. Would you hesitate to "do the deal"? Some here may and some may not. It's just a different means to an end. If the buyer has the money and desires a coin, who's to stop them from obtaining it however they can?

Anyway, time to get off the soapbox and back to work. I wish you the best regardless if you stay or go.

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    You mean you actually read all the bashing threads to the ends? Once I see a thread deteriorate I usually skip it from then on and often skip entire threads that look like they are spin offs. I think that is how I lasted so long.
  • Options
    Oh, please please stay Lee. If I beg you, will you stay?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so which is worse, all the bickering lately or a pathetic sympathy plea from a new member who has paid too much attention to the negative stuff?? i think it's a toss-up!!!!!!!

bottom line, you need the forum more than the forum needs you; so it is with each of us. wise up and make better choices. you'll benefit by staying here more than by leaving and frankly, we won't miss you though we'll notice you if you remain...................probably.

but please, no begging for sympathy.

al h.image
  • Options
    I'm stayin, even more interested now. Learned that while they look real cool, toned coins are not my bag, so I get to see em, but not spend the big bucks. Even learning how AT is done to some extent. Seems like the toned Morgan area is a logical extension of the Morgan craze that was going on in the 90's when I started, all the boomers finally with bucks getting into "coin collecting" in their way. I will keep looking through old rolls for varieties while keeping up on other areas of the hobby.image
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Stick around Lee - if it gets really ugly you're always welcome to stop by the Open Forum and set a spell image
  • Options
    Nobody forced you to read anything. And the topics raised in the recent posts contain important information for collectors; that is, there is wheat amidst the chaff.

Why do people feel the need to make these inane announcements they're leaving?
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options

<< <i>Why do people feel the need to make these inane announcements they're leaving? >>

Because they want others to convince them to stay?
    Bill
  • Options
    Don't go hang around.
    Lurk for a while, the bashing comes and goes in spurts.
    I just skip over then threads when they deteriorate.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why do people feel the need to make these inane announcements they're leaving? >>

Because they want others to convince them to stay? >>

More bashing. Woo Hoo!!!image
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Stay if you will, leave if you must! IF you do stay, the key is selecting what you choose to read. Read the educational threads and stay away from the flame wars that have seemingly brought you to this present frame of mind.

If you're looking for people to beg you to stay, well....maybe some will, however most will not.

As Brother Keets just said, this forum will go on with or without you, just the same as the world would should you die right now. The world/ this forum does not revolve around you, me or any particular ONE of us, but together we are one. You need thick skin to be a member of this club, my boy.

As they say, If you can't hang with the big dogs, keep your puppy dog ace on the porch. Good luck no matter what you decide but just remember this....ANYBODY CAN BE A QUITTER. Do you have what it takes to stick it out?image
  • Options
    Lee,

Boom's advice is very well taken. I was getting wrapped up in threads that were, in the end a waste f time for "me" to read. I come here to have fun, pass time and learn a little about coins. Those threads that are simply bash fests I either ignore or have fun with, but either way the choice is mine. These forums are very similar to the neighborhood pubs and taverns. Most of the time it is great conversation and great fun. Then every once in awhile someone spills a drink on someone and the fur flys. Pretty soon it is all back to normal. Don't give up so easily, there is too much great knowledge here to throw away over some moments of testosterone overdose.
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

What Carl W. and Boom said.....

And, Boom oughta know what he's talking 'bout, big time!
  • Options

<< <i>Oh yeah, switch over to currency collecting. Its much safer there. No one doctors currency to make money.image >>

I know you're right. But it's something I've wanted to do anyway.

Jerry
  • Options
    When it gets hot in the kitchen,
    icecubes melt.

It happens.
    JM
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Who did you say you were and how long have you been posting?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Why are you disgusted? I personally find this quite entertaining and at the same time informative. I make
    life and death decisions all day long at work and I find this to an interesting diversion from the rigors of work. Plus for a relative newby like me I have learned a lot about ebay and the coin industry in general. I'm just glad
    I'm not the sucker buying a $7500 AT coin. Without this forum I would have never been aware of unscrupulous tactics which certain people employ. Perhaps it may be legal, but where I come from and the way I was raised it ain't moral or ethical. I hope these folks can sleep at night. I know I can the way I conduct myself professionally and as a person. Keep up the great work on this forum.

Bruce
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    c ya

wouldn't wanna b ya.

K S
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    you can learn a lot from bashing thread as long as you don't take them personally and aren't the one getting bashed.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

I miss this guy already
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Creaking as it swings.

You have more to gain if you stay. But still do not let it hit you if you feel like you do.

Ken
  • Options
    You mean you actually read all the bashing threads to the ends? Once I see a thread deteriorate I usually skip it from then on and often skip entire threads that look like they are spin offs. I think that is how I lasted so long.

-------------------------
    Carl's eBay listings.

=================================================
    HI
    carl has the right idell.read the good ,pay no att. to the bad.
    littlejohn
    i learn to read & and not to write.
  • Options
    Wimp!
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    It's wierd how many replies a post like this gets....... oops... just added another....image
  • Options

<< <i>Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Dave >>

It's comments like this that prove that we have way too many morons posting here!
  • Options
    Hey

Try coming over the the darkside (world coins forum), no bashing just relaxed banter and warm feelings

Dr J
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On one hand, I am sad that someone was driven away because of the discord from the last few days. On the other hand, ultimately, Keets is right. Most newbies would benefit from particpating here (or at least, lurking). There was a lot to be learned here this week, information that his very difficult to come by elsewhere, information that will save you (or even make you) money down the road and improve your collecting acumen.

Finally, if a less confrontational forum is what you seek, the NGC boards also have some fine posters and excellent content, but the volume is quite a bit less (which is why it is known to some as "Sleepy Hollow".

Good luck, whatever you side to do.

P.S. I think that the "don't let the door hit you..." type comments are inappropriate.
  • Options
    I have to agree with Keets as well. I learn something new here everyday, if not about coins then about human nature and the great USA (yeah I read the open forum!).
    But seriously you don't have to read everything and even if you do you only have to acknowledge about 5% of it! Look for the gems in the coal dust, they are there.

Dr J
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Dave >>

It's comments like this that prove that we have way too many morons posting here! >>

Hey I think if you would have been around here longer than a couple of months you would see a little Humor in Daves post. Also your Moron statement fits in very nicely.

Next time get it right though. Its Maroon instead of Moron. Of course on this one you probably do not have a clue either.

Ken
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Woo-hoo I love the tearful, dramatic goodbyes on the Coin Forum...
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Quitters are what made this country great!

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    LeeG...Unless I am mistaken...the bashing threads are simply to uncover something that is ultimately going to ruin this hobby, if it doesnt go unchecked. Thats IF its the bashing thread I think you are referring to, in regard to the amphibious one. If its bashing between members, and NOT bashing because they are selling something which is obviously way overpriced and overhyped (referring to the amphibious one again), then its all good natured, with a bit of venom, but where WONT you get that when you have people from all parts of the country, from all walks of life...the recent bashing, IMHO, is warranted...I wouldnt want to be the sucker that pays 10 times what the seller paid, ESPECIALLY under the assumption that it is more coin than it actually is...that, to me, is GOOD LOOKING OUT! I appreciate almost everything I read here...and if I dont agree, I move on...or skip the thread altogether (hint, look to see the original poster and the most recent one, coupled with the number of posts....you can get a good idea of what it might be about...remember, NOONE MAKES YOU READ A THREAD FROM FIRST POST TO LAST). But then again, I hate whiners.....so, bottom line....suck it up and be a man about it and get over it and use this forum for what its REALLY about---KNOWLEDGE....or go on your way........SIMPLE

By the way, snakes ARE amphibians, are they not? Though ANACONDAS are so big, they may be considered mammals???? LOLOL SLAM!!!! What say about that LeeG? Gonna just let it go, or whine some more???????
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file