Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bought it (Was: Price check) - MS63 1916 Barber Quarter

Stopped by my local store today and noticed a nice 1916 25c Barber which would be nice in my type set.
It's in a PCGS MS63 Green Holder.

Coin is white with nice luster.
Only major mark is a hit on the lower right of the shield on the reverse. Obv is very clean.

Price would be $299 after sales taxes. Any opinions on the price? I know trends is $275.

If in the ballpark of a decent deal, I'll buy it. I was looking for something similar at the recent 200 table Dalton show and couldn't find any PCGS 1900's barber quarters in MS62-3 PCGS.
Dave - Durham, NC

Comments

• Gerysheet bid is $215 and ask $235 if that helps at all. $300 would seem on the high side unless the coin is unusually nice and has some color to it.

Jay
  • I bought a 16D Barber Quarter MS64 in an old green holder a couple years ago. It just came back MS65. If it looks nice, take a shot. They were a lot tougher on them before.
  • Thanks for the replies and the greysheet look-up. Just trying to figure out of the greysheet is on track here.

The only other current comparisons I can find are here, which are similarly priced.

Wayne Herndon 1

Wayne Herndon 2
    Dave - Durham, NC
  • I'd also suggest you put in a request on the BST board if someone has one for sale.
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mostly collect 55/8 to 62/3 pieces, and I think the sheets at 60/63 are close for more common dates ... the 16 is common, but certainly the better date for the year ... premium for eye appealing surfaces and especially premium luster can make that price almost worth it though (IMHO)

just my 25c worth

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Thanks again for all the advice.

The coin is very nice with good luster and a very clean obverse. I think I'll go ahead and get it although the price is probably on the high side.
    I don't really want to buy one sight-unseen and I know the local show dealers don't have any similar type pieces, no did they 4 months ago.

I figure, better to pay a little more for a coin I like than a little less for a coin I don't.
    At least I am giving the money to a dealer I like. image

This one recently sold on teletrade for $300 plus juice. I like mine better.

As always when I buy at my local shop, it's the sales tax that hurts me on this deal. $275 before and $300 after stupid TN 9.25% sales tax.
    Dave - Durham, NC
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Some coins regularly sell for much less than their book values - MS 63 20th Century Liberty Gold comes to mind. However, I think MS 63 Barbers typically sell for more. Probably because there just aren't that many around. Right now, there are 1,045 Barber Quarters on Ebay - of those, only 5 are PCGS or NGC MS 60 to MS 63.

I am working on a 1900 year set, $.01 to $20, all in MS. I paid $305 for an NGC MS 63 quarter, sight unseen, and I am glad I did because it is the only one I have come across in a year and half of looking. (And also because it it turned out to be a very nice 63!)
  • I'd try to haggle over the hit on the reverse. You're overpaying for an obviously damaged coin, even if it is pretty and hard to find.

• << <i>I'd try to haggle over the hit on the reverse. You're overpaying for an obviously damaged coin, even if it is pretty and hard to find >>

What? haggle over something that is hard to find? Damage? Its slabbed by PCGS and a bagmark is not damage.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Haggling is a good idea, but I know they will only go 5% below the marked price.

As for not buying a damaged coin, I guess I need to hold out for a MS70 specimen?
    I think the hit is the reason it is a 63, because the rest of the coin is very clean.

Actually, I'll probably have some pics to post soon. image
    Dave - Durham, NC
  • Took the plunge and bought it.

Nice even light gold tone and good luster.

Dave - Durham, NC
  • Very nice!!! Without the hit I'd say it would have been an easily 65.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! I love it. image

• boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks solid for the gradeimage
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it could upgrade. Niceimage

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks similar to my old PCGS MS64 type coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file