Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crossover, Crackout, and Regrade Experiment PCI (green)

This is a compilation of results from these kinds of submissions throughout the summer...

* - crackouts
*** - regrades

1921-D Mercury Dime ANACS (G06) PCGS---G06
1921-D Walking Liberty Half ANACS (VG08) PCGS--- DNC (PCGS said it was G06)
1950-D Franklin Half PCI (green 14-digit) (MS64FBL) PCGS--- MS64FBL
1916-D Mercury Dime PCI (green 10-digit) (AG03)* PCGS--- AG03
1900-O Morgan Dollar PCI (green 10-digit) (MS64PQ)* PCGS--- MS64 (DOH! I thought it was 65!)
1944 Walking Liberty Half PCI (green 10-digit) (MS62PQ)* PCGS--- MS64 (sweet!)
1930-S Lincoln Cent PCI (green 10-digit) (MS63PQ)* PCGS--- MS64RD
1936 Washington Quarter PCI (green 10-digit) (MS64)* PCGS--- MS65
1944 Mercury Dime PCI (green 10-digit) (MS63PQ)* PCGS--- MS65
2001-D Roosevelt Dime PCGS (Blue - No Bar Code on front) (MS67)*** PCGS ---- MS68FB Wahooo! image
1943-D Mercury Dime PCGS (Old Rattler)(MS64)*** PCGS---MS64 (DOH!) I thought it was FB my eyes must have been tired
1945-S Walking Liberty Half PCI (green 10-digit) (MS64)* PCGS--- MS64
1937-S Buffalo Nickel PCI (green 10-digit) (MS63)* PCGS--- MS64
1941 Walking Liberty Half PCI (green 10-digit) (MS62)* PCGS--- MS63
1943-D Washington Quarter PCI (green, 10-digit) (MS64)* PCGS--- MS64
1963 Franklin Half PCI (green, 10-digit) (PR67 Cameo)* PCGS --- PR66 image
1963 Franklin Half PCI (green, 10-digit) (PR67 Cameo)* PCGS --- PR66 image
1962 Franklin Half PCI (green, 10-digit) (PR67 Cameo)* PCGS --- PR66 image
1938-D Buffalo Nickel PCGS (Old Rattler)(MS65)* PCGS---MS65

Comments

• Options
    I noticed the crackouts were 4 for 6 on upgrades

The holdered ones went 0 for 3.

Thats why I prefer to crack mine out before sending.
  • Options
    I know. After reading many posts on the subject. I stopped doing crossovers. It was "hammer time". However, I'm not doing that to my regrades, yet.
  • Options

<< <i>I noticed the crackouts were 4 for 6 on upgrades

The holdered ones went 0 for 3.

Thats why I prefer to crack mine out before sending. >>

Moreover, notice all of the upgrades were old (10-digit) Green PCI slabs.

I'm waiting for two regrades and will be submitting a half dozen more 10DG PCI crackouts for grading.
  • Options
    Got these in today...

1 xxxxxxxx 2001-D 10C USA MS68FB was MS 67
    2 xxxxxxxx 1943-D 10C USA MS64 from rattler, same grade
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a question. I don't collect the coins you sent to PCGS. If you don't mind my asking, what sort of value increment did you get re the regrades versus what did you pay for them?

I collect 19th & early 20th Century type. I would never crack anything out, because if I cracked out say, an MS 65 coin No Motto Seated Quater & it came back as in an MS 64 holder, my coin could drop 50% in value. I agree that it is not a good use of one's effort to try to cross coins to PCGS right now.

I have had success upgrading a few PCGS coins sent in for regrade in PCGS holders, though. A Walker upgraded from MS 65 to MS 66, and a 38 D Buff upgraded from MS 66 to MS 67. A LONG time ago, I crossed a Classic Half Cent from NGC MS 64 BN to PCGS MS 64 BN, but I would not attempt that now.

Still, I always compare what will it cost me for a regrade & shipping, versus the % chance it'll upgrade, multiplied by the value increment (if it upgraded) before sending anything in. I don't submit much.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>This is a compilation of results from these kinds of submissions throughout the summer...

1916-D Mercury Dime PCI (green 10-digit) (AG03)* PCGS--- AG03 (in a safe deposit box)

What, did you think I was coming right over to your house?
    The Wegner ARRC Bingle Set

Looking for 1967 PCGS/NGC slabbed coins.
  • Options

<< <i>This is a compilation of results from these kinds of submissions throughout the summer...

1916-D Mercury Dime PCI (green 10-digit) (AG03)* PCGS--- AG03 (in a safe deposit box)

What, did you think I was coming right over to your house? >>

A little paranoia every now and then doesn't hurt. image
  • Options

<< <i>Just a question. I don't collect the coins you sent to PCGS. If you don't mind my asking, what sort of value increment did you get re the regrades versus what did you pay for them?

I collect 19th & early 20th Century type. I would never crack anything out, because if I cracked out say, an MS 65 coin No Motto Seated Quater & it came back as in an MS 64 holder, my coin could drop 50% in value. I agree that it is not a good use of one's effort to try to cross coins to PCGS right now.

I have had success upgrading a few PCGS coins sent in for regrade in PCGS holders, though. A Walker upgraded from MS 65 to MS 66, and a 38 D Buff upgraded from MS 66 to MS 67. A LONG time ago, I crossed a Classic Half Cent from NGC MS 64 BN to PCGS MS 64 BN, but I would not attempt that now.

Still, I always compare what will it cost me for a regrade & shipping, versus the % chance it'll upgrade, multiplied by the value increment (if it upgraded) before sending anything in. I don't submit much. >>

I did this as an experiment. That's why I went out of my way to describe the slabs. I'll say that I got a little singed (not too badly) on the 1943-D dime. I thought it looked 65FB. That what I get for not having a sharp enough eye. I got good deals on everything else. With the 2001-D dime, I made the original slab from a US UNC Mint Set I bought from the mint. PCGS slabbed it MS67 with the older Blue label w/o the barcode on the front. That label came out before the FB designation. That turned out to be one of my best submissions.

For the record, I collect for fun. image
  • Options
    Here are 3 new grades in my little experiment...

1945-S Walking Liberty Half PCI (green 10-digit) (MS64)* PCGS--- MS64
    1937-S Buffalo Nickel PCI (green 10-digit) (MS63)* PCGS--- MS64
    1941 Walking Liberty Half PCI (green 10-digit) (MS62)* PCGS--- MS63

* - crackouts
  • Options
    Good grades and crossing! Did you see the coins in person before you bought them or off the intrnet?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Good grades and crossing! Did you see the coins in person before you bought them or off the intrnet?

That was my question too.... Is it a case of you finding nice gems in old pci holders, or just buying coins found on the internet? So I guess the question is: Should your eye be congratulated, or old pci be congratulated??
    Interesting experiment!
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i> Good grades and crossing! Did you see the coins in person before you bought them or off the intrnet?

That was my question too.... Is it a case of you finding nice gems in old pci holders, or just buying coins found on the internet? So I guess the question is: Should your eye be congratulated, or old pci be congratulated??
    Interesting experiment! >>

To be honest, old PCI deserves the credit. I bought every green PCI coin off eBay. I'm not an expert grader by any means. However, the 1936 quarter looked real good and I knew it would be an upgrade. Additional credit goes to Eric (K6AZ) who's webpage inspired my humble experiment. I'd love to learn how to grade and become a numismatist (it's a dream of mine) but with a fulltime job and a family to support, I just don't have the time. That dosen't stop me from enjoying US Coins. image

Discussion on PCI Slabs
  • Options

<< <i>Good grades and crossing! Did you see the coins in person before you bought them or off the intrnet?

Cameron Kiefer >>

No.

Thanks for the kind words.

BTW I'd gladly trade in a Yankees championship to see President Bush reelected and the GOP gain seats in both Houses. image
  • Options
    Just to add...

The 2001-D 10c was not bought off the internet. I removed it from a 2001 US Mint set. I saw no ticks or marks on it and was disappointed in the initial MS67 grade. Long after it was slabbed, when I found out about the new FB designation, I sent the slabbed coin back to PCGS for a regrade and it upgraded to MS68FB!

NOTE: To those collecting roosies, check the Roosie in a PCGS slab w/o the barcode on the front. It might be a FB.

NOTE: I also gave all my silver coins that were cracked out from PCI slabs an acetone rinse due to rumors of PVC in old PCI slabs.

NOTE: On Eric's website, if no "6" is found on a green PCI slab, look for the "9" as it is straight in the older slabs (10-digit) and curved on the latter slabs (14 & 9 digit) just like the "6".
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Even though the Yankees SUCK, you did amazingly well. Good eye!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    wowow....any old PCI slabs left in the market?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wowow....any old PCI slabs left in the market? >>

Not many, but there are a few, and they're becoming less of a secret. They used to be a way to get properly graded coins that could cross for 30-50% less than similar PCGS and NGC coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file