Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you could go back in time...

DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
What year or time period would you travel to, and what coins would you bring back with you to 2004?
Dr. Pete

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    1964 through 1967. First strike proof and SMS Kennedy Halves.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    1793 with a pocket full of $100 bills. Just think of having 5000 MS Chains. Sell about 25 a year for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    1986-1990 walking around coin shows and picking up samples for freeimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    1878 so i could meet George T. Morgan and have the first Morgan ever made.
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I would go back to 1916, and get a roll of each denomination and mint marks from cents through halves. I am missing most 1916 coins from my sets.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    1932, About 10 each 32D and S Washingtons. BU of course. Only 10, as I wouldn't want to devalue the other MS 32's here already.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go back to 02/27/98, the day I met my wife. Nothing will ever beat that feeling of "knowing".

peacockcoins

• Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In order not to screw up the time/space continuem, you would have to at least take the same denomination/date back and then trade it for an upgrade or you could just go back to last week in the middle of the night in the Smithsonian and pick up some nice stuff. That of course
    would depend on your time machine, if it could choose a location or notimage
  • Options
    I'd stop at 1878 Virginia City ( a LOT of gold and silver coins, many of them CC mint, floating around), and then on to 1798 Philadelphia (to make sure i get first dibs on 1793-97 issues)
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1793 with a pocket full of $100 bills. Just think of having 5000 MS Chains. Sell about 25 a year for the rest of my life. >>

I think that you would have a hard time palming modern "lucky bucks" off on the folks who were alive in 1793. Paper money had a very bad reputation, especially paper money that the Continental Congress had issued during the Revolutionary War. In 1793 that currency was “not worth a Continental” and no one but speculators would accept it, and only then at very deep discounts.

Besides if you came back with 5,000 BU Chain Cents, it would not take long to dampen the market. For one thing you would have to keep your mouth shut about what you had. After 50 to 100 pieces appeared on the market there would be a huge effect on the prices. Five thousand coins would make them like the Randal Hoard coins with considerably depressed values.

I’d go back a few years later after the gold and silver coins had come out. I’d bring a nice back of raw gold or perhaps British gold that I would exchange at “bargain rates” for U.S. coins. I would not be a pig. I’d just get enough really nice examples to fill the type coins holes in my set, plus a few others for sale or trade.

Of course since I would be changing history, some collectors might wonder what happened to the coins that were once in their collections. With luck I’d get the pieces that were destined for the melting pot. Perhaps only a few bars of gold would mysteriously disappear from Fort Knox. You have got to be careful about what you do when you travel in time!
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I'd go back to 1877 with a pocket full of whizzed/cleaned eagles and half eagles from 1861. I'd buy rolls and rolls of indian cents from the 1860's to 1877, all MS-65+ RED!!

Plenty of demand today to soak up a whole lot of them.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    I'd get a job at the CC mint. I'd take the first of each batch. Yummy!

I can quit collecting anytime I want to.....I just don't want to!
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I'd just go back 1 week and take the last 7 days newspapers with me.

After the week was up, I'd have more money than Bill Gates and would buy all the coins I could ever want.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    I'd go to 1856, and see how many Flying Eagles I could buy off the congressmen, and if I could get a few from the mint as well.
    Then in 1857 see how many FE's I could buy outside the mint.
    Then find good container and a safe place to bury them, so I could recover them when I returned to this timeline again.
    I think coming back with a hoard of shiny brand new pennies would make everyone think they are fake.
    It would be pretty cool to see how many other coins I could get as well.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1964 through 1967. First strike proof and SMS Kennedy Halves.

Russ, NCNE >>

It's probably easier to find those coins now than it was then, Russ.

For one thing, not many people cared about cameos and the like.

For another if you went though a dealer's stock looking for them, he would label you a "cherry picker" and become belligerent. Some of the old dealers were a crusty lot. I know because I dealt with some of them when I was a YN. Back then a Proof set was a Proof set was a Proof set, and if you wasted their time with foolish things like looking for accented hair and cameos, you stood a good chance of not being welcome.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd travel to 2002 to pick up all the great coins getting slabbed and then slip back to
    my own time. You need to take plenty of spare parts just in case and don't stick around
    too long or someone is going to wonder why all your brand new currency looks almost
    forty years old and will carbon date it. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I'd just go back 1 week and take the last 7 days newspapers with me.

But when you came back, they'd arrest you for insider trading violations.
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    1804 - I need to get just one dollar
  • Options
    D.Rat,
    Don't you mean 1834image
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    1889 in Carson City!image

Only Cammie would go back in time to haul back plastic!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Honey, on my calender, the date reads 1958.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd go back to 02/27/98, the day I met my wife. Nothing will ever beat that feeling of "knowing". >>

-JamminJ
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    D.Rat, Don't you mean 1834?

Nope. 1804 Draped Bust Dollar Of course I'd have to find one in PR-69/70 to make the trip really worth it lol. image
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I get to pick 2 dates:
    1916 to get thousands of 16D dimes
    1995 and get as many '95W SAEs (in the US Mint sets) as they made.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Go back to Dahlonega and Charlotte with some raw gold and have them coin it for you. You choose the dates.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    San Francisco, 1915. Get me some of those big $50 commems for cheap image.
  • Options
    The 1804 Silver Dollar is one of the rarest and most popular of all American coins, despite the fact that none were made until 1834 and several were even made many years after that! Certain qualities of the known 1804 Silver Dollars (and other facts concerning their history) indicate that the first 1804 Silver Dollars were struck in or about 1834, when orders came from the State Department for special sets of coins to be struck for diplomatic purposes. Later restrikes were made sometime after 1857 (a unique example shows the undertype of an 1857 Swiss Shooting Thaler)!

Source
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I think I'll take 1796 - 97. And I'd take some gold and silver bulion back with me. Go to the Philadelphia mint, deposit it and have them strike up some coins for me. Take a look at your redbooks folks. Bring back a few Unc 1796 half cents, Unc 1796 quarters, 1796 and 97 halves, 1796 and 97 quarter eagles, half eagles, and eagles. Don't want to get too greedy or upset the markets in our current time so I'd only bring back no more than a half dozen of each. I'd also just pick up some miscellaneous handfuls of other mixed change from 1793 - 1797. Might send a letter to Jefferson and see if he still had any of the 1792 half dimes. While I'm waiting for my coins from the mint, work on upgrading my early date large cent variety collection. image
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I go to 1878 and pick up all the CC minted coins from the 1870's and be one happy camper!! Just take one MS specimen from each date and denom for each type.

jim

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    If I brought back the Brother Johnson 20$ with me, say to 1877, would I be sent to jail due to the "fake looking" double eagles that I were using image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file