Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which are the best value..common date MS64 Walkers or Morgans

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am talking about PCGS and NGC certified coins. Both MS64 Morgans and Walkers are in about the same price range.

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Neither would be the best value as they are both tied very closely to how hot the market is at the time.
  • Options

<< <i>Neither would be the best value as they are both tied very closely to how hot the market is at the time. >>

Edited to add: MS64's in either of these two coins would never be a good value at anytime for "common dates" in my opinion.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree in common dates, both types are heavily populated and easily availble by the hundreds if not thousands with no upside potential, except from demand created from a hyped market. These types of coins flucuate with market conditions.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    While I agree a common date morgan in ms64 is probably too common to be a good "value" pick, sometimes a common date morgan, combined with a prooflike or deep mirror prooflike designation, can be a great value pick with just a slight bump in price. It just takes a lot of looking.

There are lots of examples. One is the 1921-D. It is actually a very common date in mint state 63 (about 2000 in pcgs), 64 (close to 3000 in pcgs), and even 65 (close to 1000 pcgs). Yet, PCGS has only graded 27 coins in prooflike in any condition, and only one in deep mirror prooflike. 16 of the 27 prooflikes fall in grade ms63 or below. I have seen some very affordable examples. If you need help finding one, send me a pm, as I have extras of almost everything.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭
    edited:meant for PM
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me try to ask this question again. I meant of these two chioces which is the better deal MS64 Morgans or MS64 Walkers?
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    ms64 walkers because a very nice ms64 short set can be done for a very reasonable amount of money.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    walkers

michael
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you could say either is a true value play ... but in this instance of a select comparison, which I find an interesting one ... I would say the Walkers.

Although both are common, with all the possibilities and pitfalls associated with this thread, I believe that there are so many more common Morgans than Walkers, that as the collector base continues to grow, someday (it may be many years from now), the common Walkers will become scarcer before the common Morgans will. As mentioned, being able to "short set" them will probably increase the possibility of them finding stronger hands, on of the keys to further tightening the supply.

Just my opinion.

And on that note, the true value plays among these will probably be the one's that become more difficult to find as the supply would tighten into these stronger hands. A 43p would probably do much worse worse than say a 43d (for example), and those coins that patient collectors hand-pick for strike, luster and appeal will (as always) outperform no matter where the market dirrection leads.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Eliot Goldman (RIP) told me not to buy "stuff" at the Detroit ANA. I believe it was good advice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file