Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1856 Flying Eagle Cent

I have inherited a 1856 Flying Eagle Cent. I believe it to me genuine as I was told
it was bought for $22,000. I would like to sell it without going through the hassle
and time of having it slabbed.

Does anyone know of someone in Florida that might be interested in purchasing
this coin? I am willing to take much less for the coin for a quick sale.

Comments

• Options
    WARNING:

Very few people would consider buying this coin if it is not slabbed. I would only pay about $10 for a risk like that. If you really want to sell this coin spend the money on a slab.... $30 for an extra $10000.... I think it is a no brainer.

-Greg
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

E-mail GRU Coins
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    to see if the coin is the real deal look at the 5 in the date.
    there is where the counterfiets can be spotted to the trained eye.
    you should be able to find a pic of a real one online
    or someone can post a pic here to show what i,m talking about.

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    please post pictures.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes,
    Post PIc's please. With a good pic' and the experience of several board members present, I am sure we can have an idea if it is worth submitting. And if so, if you really want to sell it, then you need to send it to one of the top three grading services (PCGS, NGC, or ANACS)

jim
  • Options

<< <i> I am willing to take much less for the coin for a quick sale. >>

Avoid saying this also.... to me this screams scam....

To me it seems kinda fishy that you dont want to get the coin slabbed and you want to sell it real quick to someone.... The whole thing stinks.

I don't think you will get anyone looking to buy this coin on these boards without some form of cirtification (PCGS especally).

My 2 flying eagles.

-Greg U
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

E-mail GRU Coins
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Why would you be looking for a quick buck instead of maximizing its value? If you don't want the hassle of having it slabbed, have a dealer send it in for you.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    don't be dumb have it graded. that will protect you and the buyer. for sure you get what its worth than. there will a lot less hassle in the long run.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    I agree it has to be slabed.
    I'm sorry but you sound like a lot of sellers on ebay.

"I have inherited a 1856 Flying Eagle Cent. I believe it to me genuine as I was told it was bought for $22,000. I would like to sell it without going through the hassle and time of having it slabbed."

How many red flags do you see?

Why not spend $100 (walk thru) to get it slabed and get it back in maybe 2 weeks compared to what ... 2 1/2 months with the $30 service.
  • Options
    I see way to many red flags.....

This post is worst then an ebay auction....

I mean who would have a "22,000" coin and not even get it certified.

There are 4 possibilities....

The man does not have the coin at all
    The man stole it from some one
    The man knows the coin is fake
    The man is extremely dumbfounded on how to sell a coin

All of them in my opinion = someone I certinly would not want to do busisness with.

My .02

-Greg
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

E-mail GRU Coins
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Snow (EagleEye) would be a good candidate to buy the coin slabbed or not. He is not from Florida so you will have to ship the coin across State lines to get it to him.

He is as honest as they come.

You casn send him a pm here on these boards.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

I know I should have it slabbed but I do not care about maximizing profit.
    All I want to do is to put some money in my pocket as quickly as possible.

For Greg the great...... this is not a scam and I take offense to your saying so.
    You do not know me and to make that kind of accusation is not right.

It is sad that you would automatically think the worst of someone.

I would like to find someone, dealer or otherwise, in Florida that might be interested.

I would not expect anyone to buy this coin sight unseen.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rick Snow (EagleEye) would be a good candidate to buy the coin slabbed or not. He is not from Florida so you will have to ship the coin across State lines to get it to him. >>

I agree -- Rick would certainly be interested if this is genuine.

But it's still easier -- and a lot cheaper -- to get a picture of it -- particularly the date -- and post it. If it's an altered 1858, as many of them are, one quick glance at the number "5" would quickly give it away. If the "5" looks like the one on an authentic 1856, then it's time to submit it for authentication and grading.
  • Options

I will try to post pictures tomorrow. Thanks
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Here's the date style of a genuine 1856:

Note that the mostly vertical bar in the "5" comes down right in the middle of the ball at the base of the "5". If you see this -- if an imaginary line from the vertical bar bisects the ball of the 5 -- it could be genuine and needs authentication.

Here's the date style of an 1858:

Many fake 1856 flyers have been created by altering the second "8" of an 1858 coin to look like a 6.

Note that on the 1858, following an imaginary line from the vertical bar of the "5" *completely misses* the ball of the 5, too far off to the left. If the "5" on your coin shows this property, it is definitely a fake, almost certainly from an altered 1858 coin.
  • Options
    I know very little about FEs but just checking the PCGS price guide it looks like a $22K example is in the MS63-65 range. If it's an inherited piece--when did someone spend $22K on it? Why not use the fastest PCGS service-- 2 business days--$100 walkthrough--and (assuming it's genuine and 63/64+) make an extra $10K+? I'd hardly consider that a "hassle".
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options

Thanks for the responses to my post.

From looking at many pictures of the real mccoy versus fakes,
    I would say it is a real 1856.

It is NOT an UNC coin. I will try to post pictures of it tomorrow.

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    You do not know me

that's exactly the point!

• Options
    HootHoot Posts: 867
    If you are in Florida, walk the coin into NGC and have it slabbed. They are located in Sarasota. Call them at 800-587-1897 to arrange for a walk-through. Ask for Sarah Martin or Danielle Kerlinger. but anyone in customer service can help you.

Slabbing the coin verifies the authenticity. Any prudent buyer will want this. This has nothing to do with trusting you, it's what came before this coin arrived in the hands of any of your family members that matters.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    As stated before talk to Rick Snow (EagleEye). I look forward to seeing pics.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

Hoot.........thanks a lot!!!

I didn't realize about NGC being in Sarasota.

I think I will do it this coming week.

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Just one more "vote" for slabbing: a coin of the caliber of an 1856 Fleagle must be slabbed, especially if being proffered by a non-expert. It won't cost much, it won't take much time, but it could mean thousands of dollars difference in the sale.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    I'll give you 11 dollars for it.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone should have warned the poster though that NGC would have required a premium to slab a high priced coin. I see this thread is quite old, curious if anyone knows what the eventual outcome was and whether a photo was ever posted.
  • Options
    It's hard to believe someone actually bought the coin for $22,000.00 WITHOUT it being slabbed.....Talk about a risk....Someone like that would normally have one hugh collection.....Not just a single coin worth a ton of money....sure can't wait to see the coin...front and reverse.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    You may find this hard to believe Millennium, but people did buy coins for high prices befor the grading services came along protect our ignorance, oh sorry to protect us in our ignorance or from our ignorance or something like that.
  • Options

<< <i> You may find this hard to believe Millennium, but people did buy coins for high prices befor the grading services came along protect our ignorance, oh sorry to protect us in our ignorance or from our ignorance or something like that. >>

Yes...I know they did in the "old" days.....but an 1856 that $22,000 was paid for was a fairly recent purchase I would think.....If it had been bought for $1500 I would have thought it may have been an older purchase, before the "slabbing days of safety".....
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355

<< <i>I see this thread is quite old >>

I assume so, you searched it out. What brought it to mind?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    1500.00 on one "back in the day" is probably the equivalent to 22,000 now.

I got outbid on a raw one in EF/AU several years ago. I think I had bid 7,000.00.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you buy a high ticket coin like this one raw you sure do have to turn up the volume a bit and let those hairs stand straight up before you buy----BUT, you simply can not outright avoid a coin because it is raw---be cautious, but if you go slow and know what you are doing (lemmings are all excluded here) there are great great coins out there that are still in strong hands that happen to still be raw. This may have been one of them, but I would start out skeptical.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

PM sent.

Oopps, didn't realize how old this post was.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    Guess the poster never stayed around.
  • Options
    BigTomBigTom Posts: 305 ✭✭✭

<< <i> befor the grading services came along to protect our ignorance, oh sorry to protect us in our ignorance or from our ignorance or something like that. >>

LOVE IT!
  • Options
    Nice article (or was it an ad) about Rick Snow in recent issue of Coin World.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file