Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Stop the gradeflation before there is no need for grading services.

Grading Companies:
Please stop the grade-flation that has been taking place for the last couple of years.
Please think of the endgame.
Consider: All coins have reached their "Peter Principle", as high as they can possibly go, even at least one grade higher than they deserve. At this point, there will be no "need" for any "objective" grading service, only the need to put the coin in an appropriate holder.
I hope you can see that purposeful grade-flation, is but a short-term profit center, and, considering the long-run, an ineffective move to increase the bottom line. (jmho)
ps. can we establish a standard? no, a real standard, one which can be counted on, one which will last?

Comments

• I concur. I have seen folks advertise the PCGS 'old green holders' as sure upgrades upon resubmission. This should never happen! Long term consistancy is the hallmark and Value in getting coins graded in the first place. I cannot think of a method for a slabbed coin to improve its grade other than some sort of grade inflation.

By the way, I personally have suffered from this inflation - I bought at premium prices a nice pop 4 coin less than a year ago that is now pop 14 and valued at somewhat less than half of what I paid.

Additionally, it drives me craZy that there is no definitive publication that details the grades (plus or minus one). Obviously, the grading companies have some sort of reference material - how else would they be able to establish the grades given? This should be available - even at a cost to anyone who has the interest. At the very least a grading series photos at high magnification should be available online for each major series of coins. Additonally, it doesn't seem all that hard to set up a webpage of photos where I choose the grade based on those photos to test my abilities. Maybe I will try to set one up for modern proofs - seems worthwhile.

Others thoughts on this are appreciated.

CLif

Looking for High End Low Pop PCGS Coins.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe time to dust off the use of computers for technical grading, with a human screen for the intangibles like eye appeal.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    When most coins hit MS-70, then we can discuss the 0 to 100 grading scale.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly Bear. In the endgame senario, "all coins will reach 70 and the game is over" for collectors of slabbed coins, for the grading services, the coin market in general, etc.
    and... D. I have always poo-poo'd the professed ability from the grading services to add (perhaps, subtract) a point for "eye appeal".
    IMHO, "eye appeal" should be left to the "market" not the grading services. "Eye appeal" is at best "personal", and should not be foisted upon a collector, or a market, due to the grading team's opinion of the day. (Remember Hot Pants. they were all the rage, until...)
    The services should ONLY grade on a technical scale, then let the market decide the value of the coins. As long as the grading services have added "eye appeal" into their perceived "ability" to technically grade a coin, the "standard" is bogus.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And therein lies the rub.

Collect PO01 and there is very little 'downside' the coins will grade out .05 on a regrade...

peacockcoins

Pat, I wonder if any "get" the comparison. More power to you, my friend. image
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RC will anyone listen to you on this issue ? I doubt that most of the influx of new collectors have any idea about what you are talking about. They have entered the hobby with a standard that is well below a older collectors standard.

The dinosaures,us, should just shut up and adjust to todays standards. I was told to do exactly that a couple of weeks ago by a young whipper snapper dealer over on the coin forum.

Now don't forget JUST ADJUST !!

Ken
    Wow, Ken. I had no idea that the market has adjusted to this new standard. I've just been a lowly 70s collector.
    Yes, I will completely shut up on this issue.
    Thanks for the (kick in the pants) great advice.
    Adjusting,
    Steve image
  • Steve - Exactly what gradeflation are you talking about? I have made most of my money in the coin business over the years by upgrading coins. This year, I have had to look to other means to make money as the upgrading game has all but ended with the new tighter standards that PCGS and NGC now employ. Steve, why don't you ask Mitch how easy he thinks it is to upgrade a coin today? He has all but abandoned that part of his business. Your post of this is at least one year late. The grading sevices have not only stopped gradeflation in its tracks, they have gone on to a tighter standard than they have ever used since their inception IMO. What made you decide to bring this up now? Were you just offered a very low end coin that was recently graded? An inquiring mind would like to know.
    David Schweitz
    Hi Dave. You have good questions, and as Ken pointed out to me, I am behind the times. A year?, that was how long it took to get up enough guts to say what I have felt.
    ...day late, and a dollar short.
    You played it absolutely correctly, and as I said in 2001, you still are the odds on favorite for numismatist of the millenium.
    Thanks for the comments. You were correct to "call" me on it.
    Steve
    ps. It IS the weekend, and all was cool last weekend, and we haven't had a goodie this weekend, so I thought I'd throw out something to chew on. image
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I agree with RegistryCoin. You know what will happen... they will come up with a new tighter standard or whole new 100 point scale... openly say so and not guarantee previously graded coins against these new standards. Then everyone will resubmit to get the coins in these new holders, and then the process of gradeinflation can start over again... grading will never end...it'll never be such that all coins are slabbed to the correct grade...
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see new NGC product out there and am not impressed with any new standard that takes us even remotely close to 1989. PCGS at times seems to be very tight. Personally, I don't see any great difference. I think the services could tighten up a lot more but it's better they stay where they are and stick to it.

There are plenty of green tagged PCGS coins that are entombed in their current holders. The only hope they have is if some newbie takes the bait, cracks it out, and ends up with a no grade/Alt surfaces/Env Damage/AT/or a lower grade. Not all green tags and first gens are created equal. They varied by +- 1/2 point back then too!

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Roadrunner- I don't know what freshly graded NGC coins you have been looking at but the fact of the matter is that the pendulum has swung back to the two major services being tight. Please meet me in Pittsburgh and we can both walk the floor to look at the coins in older and newer holders and debate how much looser of tighter the serivices have become. As someone who spends well into six figures on grading fees every year, I feel I have a pretty good handle on how the big two are grading.( Oh sh*t, here I go sounding like Adrian again). I am not saying that the new change is a bad thing. Just that it exists. To deny that a change was made would not be factual. IMO, Rick Montgomery had a major impact on the grading at NGC and the double verification that is now going on at PCGS for pop top and high value coins has caused a similar shift with them as well. One of the benefits to this is that both of these services are now more consistant than they ever were. You can talk about the "good old days" of 1989 all you like but the fact is that I can show you coins in old 65 holders that would not grade 64 today and coins that used to be in 66 holders that are now in 68 holders. So much for 1989 "standards".
    David Schweitz
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Braddick - that coin is a sure thing upgrade!
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Braddick - that coin is a sure thing upgrade! >>

imageimage

peacockcoins

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Steve, why don't you ask Mitch how easy he thinks it is to upgrade a coin today? He has all but abandoned that part of his business."

The "upgrade game" is, overall, an immensely educational experience and I would recommend that anyone who thinks they can grade coins give it a shot for a year or two and see how they end up. Over the past couple years, while playing the "upgrade game" I was fortunate at various points in time to enjoy the tutelage of "MS68" - a consummate professional in all aspects of the coin business. Did I learn a huge amount from "MS68" - you better believe it! And, I hope he learned a few things from me as well.

Earlier this year, I decided to refocus nearly all of my energy on selling coins. And, yes, as MS68 points out, upgrades did get harder to make. But, there were other issues as well that changed my personal focus.

In any event, I just wanted to respond to MS68's comment and may comment generally on Registrycoin's thread when I get back later tonight.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This year, I have had to look to other means to make money as the upgrading game has all but ended with the new tighter standards that PCGS and NGC now employ.

Really? Hmmmmmm

I think, too, that this is worthy of more discussion, especially if Dave can share his knowledge and experience.
    As Mitch intimated, MS68's tuteladge is priceless.
  • Bruce- I never said that NO coins are now upgrading. I said that the upgrades are now few and far between. Enough so that it is no longer my sole source or even primary source of income. Go ask Laura how she has been doing lately if you think otherwise.
    David Schweitz
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An interesting conundrum... it's impossible to iron out the inequities of piecemeal grading [ie: not seeing all the coins at the same time, or even in the same era] without further grade inflation. Yet inflation begets more inflation.

Sometimes I think that the Pogues' have it right! image

Oh, well ... we resign ourselves to our plight... onward! image
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928

<< <i>Sometimes I think that the Pogues' have it right! >>

Of course they would. What in paticular though? I'm curious.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • I believe that very soon, coins in PCGS green holders will be worth LESS than others. If they were upgrade candidates, then they surely would have been sent in again by now. This is even more true of the old "rattlers". The only exceptions would be coins that haven't seen the light of day in 15 years, (not very likely) so we would be left with a very few green holders containing possible upgrades and very many low end coins for the grade. It will be easy to distinguish which is which.
  • MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Remember the good old days before slabbing and grading services? The unknowing collector risked ruin because there were no generally accepted standards, and you took the word of a dealer or other collector as to condition. Sure, you could have bought your own copy of B&D Grading, but your opinion was often challenged when it came time to buy or sell.

Then came the grading services, and some "standards" were in place to help collectors get a fair brake.

Unfortunately, not all grading services are equal, and now we are learning that even within grading services standards can vary.

What a mess.

And if the mess worsens then the hobby/business runs the risk of losing its credibility.

Back in the late 1980s the coin industry had an explosion in prices that in part was helped by "standards" in grading that took some of the risk out of coin ownership and Wall Street became interested in numismatics.

If there is a lack of trust in standards today then coins as an investment option will vanish -- just when Wall Street is getting interested again.

I, like many of you, have been a victim of grade inflation. I can't tell you how many times Ive bought a coin at one grade but when I had to sell it the buyer dropped the grade by one or more notches.

Standardization is critical.

cheers, alan mendelson
  • puffpuff Posts: 1,475
    Very interesting thread, which in my opinion all should read.image
  • People hose the population by cracking out coins and resubmitting them over and over, if PCGS does not know it's been cracked out over and over the population continues to grow.

Trust me I know this to be fact, take a look at the 1998 platinum $10's

I personally own and have made 262 of that pop, now you tell me how it got that high in a matter of a very short period of time when the total pop a year ago was less than 100.

The stock of raw coins is almost non existant, now you tell me how does this happen?

I wouldnt believe 1/2 of what the pop says only due to the fact that no one really knows what's going on at all times.

Also, I recently bought a 4 coin MS-70 PCGS Platinum 2004 MS set, I tried to re-do my platinum sets to recapture my #1 in the MS $100's which I could do rather easy without those coins.

I was told that set would not count towards my sets, now you tell me the pop of the $100 is 3 right?

Why is there 6 known 4 coin sets in 70 if the pop still shows 3 in MS-70 on the 100's.

This is why I'm not spending 10's of thousands of dollars as I did 2 years ago, it was fun but at what cost?
    Leo: Take a look at my recent thread on Multiholder sets.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Mitch show me the link....

Thanks,
    Leo
  • Yo Mitch send me the link will ya? Also check out your feedback score and check out mine, care to race to 1500? image
    Mr. P. Do you really think that any professional will "race" to a feedback number?
    You have made me feel badly, in that I started this thread, and it has been said that it is "worthy", but now, I feel that it isn't.
    Leo: The thread on the multiholders is still on the front page of the Registry forum (look towards the bottom).

I have no doubt you will beat me on any race to feedback on ebay. My goal is to sell MORE coins off ebay!!

Wondercoin

• << <i>Grading Companies:
    Please think of the endgame.

>>

Maybe the "grade inflation" is driven by fear of the endgame and actually is a concerted scam to get repeat business for the grading services.

Otherwise, when all the slabbable coins are graded, they are out of business!!
    Steve: Anyway - back to your concept....

Consider another issue. Spreads between top pops and one grade under coins has widened considerably over the past few years. For sake of argument, let's say an MS67 Silver Commem is worth $1,500, but, an MS68 is now worth $25,000. There is now $23,500 "to be made" off an upgrade. So, why not submit a "liner" coin you believe in 25 times at $40-$100/turn? In fact, send it back and forth to PCGS and NGC 10 more times for good measure to try some crossing action as well to "make the grade".

In the end, let's say you expended 35 grading fees even at $100 a pop - that's $3,500. If you are successful 1/5 times using this formula, you have made $23,500 and spent $17,500 doing so. Land 2/5 upgrades and you make $47,000 on your $17,500 in grading fees. Now, consider that making 2/5 involves getting 2 coins to work out of 70 tries!! Not a bad return for those LINER coins you really believe in?

So, is this really "gradeflation", or is this something else? In many cases, it appears to me it is merely WORKING those LINER coins to death, which might not have been the case 10 years ago when a spread from grade to grade might have been $1,500 to $5,000 or $6,000.

Now, does this then become a "chicken and egg" thing - "gradeflation" being the natural consequence of LINER coins being worked to death over an extended period of time? That appears to be an interesting question.

Wondercoin

• Gosh I was just kidding...

I'm going to retired from eBay at 1500 and let my kid take over, frankly I hate eBay, on Aug 6th watch how high the paypal fees are going to get unless you clear 100k a month in paypal income... Between eBay and paypal fees they are going to take about 8.5% of each sale, good luck sellers!
    Mr. P. You are too confusing to deal with. Please understand if I, in the future ignore all your posts.
    I thought "liners" on "the other side of the line, were just that, wannabes. The "expectation" that any 66.9, 67.9, 68.9, will become a 67, 68, 69, after many, many submissions, is ludicrous. but IT IS HAPPINING!!! I don't think that those "in power" are seeing the future of this behavior. It, seems to me to be such "short term" thinking, that I fear "They may be poised, on purpose, for a buyout/takeover", as I don't understand this behavior to be "long-term" thinking.
  • Cool I love to be ignored, but that's highly unlikely, I have such a large fan club now. image
    ugh. image , ok, now can we get back on track?
  • I was thinking more in the lines of putting it on a huge billboard behind your house, can you kindly give me your address to see if zoning will approve my request? image
    Sorry, I happily live in a "commercial-free" residential area. Perhaps I should have some neon done on the strip advertising my "respect" for you. Will you deign to pose with your car? image
    Hey guys - let's get back on topic.

Is it all the upgraders' "fault" as I theorized?

Wondercoin
    (Deep Breath) Ok, thank you. image
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Of course not Mitch. I have enjoyed quite a bit of success both at crossing over and regrade/ upgrades. At one point I was 18 of 20 in crossovers until one day I realized I was hurting other peoples' investments and so, I just stopped.

A very good example within the Washington Quarter series is the 40-D. I researched the Heritage archives and just a couple years ago the pop at PCGS was 10 in PCGS 67. Now I believe it to be 18. All the folks that had a PCGS 67 1940-D suffered a substantial loss when the pop basically doubled.

So far as regrades/ upgrades go, I submitted 4 coins, two PCGS 63 1932-Ds, a PCGS 65 1935-D that is eye candy...the most thickly coated, icy, frosty, sugary lustered coin I have seen to this day-even better looking than my 66 and a 36-D. Much to my liking, BOTH of the 32-Ds did in fact upgrade to 64....a substantial jump in "premium".

Now if I submit them again back to PCGS, IN THEIR SLABS, population will be kept correctly, BUT should I crack them out and submit them, obviously population will be wrong....if I send them to NGC (raw or slabbed) obtain a grade- NGC's pop goes up, PCGS' stays the same instead of being minus two and should I now take the NGC coins and submit them back to PCGS, now NGC has no idea THEY are minus two and PCGS will show another two when in fact they are not. They are as they were before I sent them to NGC but now NGC is minus two. I know you well enough to respect your wisdom and the fact that you do get my point. With all the cracking out etc, jumping from service to service, there is absolutely NO WAY for population to be correct at either service.

I suppose one day the services will come up with a system.... a "show me the coin in the slab" method to verify population. Until something along these lines is put in place, I'm afraid BOTH major services' population counts are just downright bogus.image Do I, can we fault the collector for wanting the higher grade? Of course not. It is inevitably a daunting task, seemingly now impossible, for the services to keep track. They have a shot if they worked together when each others' competitors submit coins in the slabs but there is no way possible to keep track with all the crackouts...that is unless computers come up with a program to "fingerprint" all coins certified by some distinguishing characteristic but can you imagine how costly and time consuming this would be?image
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Look at the record biz -- when everybody had 78's, they came out with 33's and 45's. When everybody had them, they came out with 8 tracks; when everybody had them they came out with tape cassettes; when everybody had them, they came out with CD's. . .

and then, MP3's cleaned their clock.

Wait till the advent of computer grading. I know, I know, it's an art and there's lots of considerations and colors and toning and distinguishing wear from poor strike . . .

If they can send rockets to Mars and unload little tinker toys that drive around up there and send us back cool pictures -- which, if you ask somebody who is an aerospace engineer or physicist, is a HUGE project, or, if they can design the 747 by using thousands of engineers worldwide for years and years of work . . .

believe me, they can program computers to grade coins.

Face it, we live in the disposable age. Everything new is headed for the garbage can in a few years to be replaced by something bigger and better.

(boy, i really went on and on, didn't i?)
    DSW
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    I'm with you lawman. I've been saying for months now that the ONLY way to get consistent grading...grading done right the first time, is by computer with humans putting the final touches for eye appeal etc. A lot of people said it will never happen.image

Funny, but about 100 years ago they also said man would never fly. In the 70's people screamed when they suggested computers build cars. They were wrong again! Look at how dependable cars are now and how long they last compared to
    when humans made them. Not only can man fly, he's actually been on another Moon and satellites are still going out into space further than anyone could have ever imagined and just look at the images they provide us that before we could only imagine.

If computers do the grading we'll always be caught up instead of running behind and worrying if the grader kicked the dog or had a spat with the Mrs. Therein may be a problem however, as this would spell the end of revenue for resubmission after resubmission until a grade is "bought". image But Brother, you talk about consistent grading and fast turnarounds...the sheer number of submissions graded on a daily basis will far surpass the need for revenue from resubmissions. Let's see someone debate a grade with a computer!image
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought "liners" on "the other side of the line, were just that, wannabes. The "expectation" that any 66.9, 67.9, 68.9, will become a 67, 68, 69, after many, many submissions, is ludicrous. but IT IS HAPPINING!!! I don't think that those "in power" are seeing the future of this behavior. It, seems to me to be such "short term" thinking, that I fear "They may be poised, on purpose, for a buyout/takeover", as I don't understand this behavior to be "long-term" thinking. >>

All I can add is that when I took the ANA Grading class, many of the coins were graded by the instructors using words similar to: "I like it as a 65, but 2 out of 5 times it would 66." Very, very often they would qualify the grade with "...X out of Y times it would grade (one point higher)". Maybe that's just the nature of single-point grading Unc coins.

Was it wondercoin who did that great analysis (with charts) of the impact of grading liner coins a couple years ago?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    DP.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Guys and gals. I don't think many of you understand the concept of liner coins. A liner coin is not a really PQ for the grade coin that all the graders agree is high end that they finally get sick of seeing sent in so they just bump it up for the heck of it. It is a coin that is so close to the line that some of the graders grade it on one side of the line and some on the other side. It is a coin that the graders are not able to grade in six seconds or sometimes even a minute or more because the decision is not an easy one. Grading is subjective. The same grader can change his mind on those liner coins depending on his frame of mind that given day the coin is sent in. The .8 and .9 coins that are spoken about are not liner coins. They are the high end for the grade coins that very rarely if ever get bumped up. One other bit of information to remember is that on the high spread coins the line usually gets moved over where it takes a .2, .3 or higher coin to make the grade. I had a 1926-S Buffalo that everyone I showed the coin to thought it a nobrainer 65 coin(65.5). The coin took over a year and at least 15 submissions before the powers that be at PCGS put it in the right holder. The first collector I showed it to bought it on the spot and wanted to know why it was not in a 66 holder. The bigger the spread the higher end the coin usually has to be to make the grade.
    David Schweitz
    MS68 - Very important and useful clarification.

Wondercoin

Edited to add - To the collectors out there that are used to seeing that specific quality 26(s) Buffalo in a PCGS-MS64 holder , they might (incorrectly) conclude "gradeflation" has occured rather than the natural evolution of a coin achieving it proper grade? Interesting difference if you think about it.

Is "gradeflation" vs. the natural evolution of a coin (especially a super key coin such as the 26(s) nickel you refer to) achieving its ultimate (and deserving) grade a distinction with a diference? Very interesting discussion.

Wondercoin
    Now, this has turned into a most interesting thread. Dave: If the experts at pcgs, the world's most respected grading company, grade the coin, in your example, umpteen times a 4, then when it finally makes it into a 5 holder, is this a case of gradeflation, a mistake, or "finally getting it right"? I assume that all buff collectors with 64s, will now assume that they hold a potential 65 coin. Is this gradeflation, or the expectations thereof? It is a concern that I have been studying the grades being given at pcgs for years...
    only to find that my extensive training and experience is bogus due to a variable grading standard. Example: I have been studying the BTWs for years, and "all of a sudden" the highest grade given for these, mostly poorly minted was 65, then 66, then 67, and I hear that there is a 68???????
    Impossible, without gradeflation. What is our agreed upon definition of gradeflation? Don't know, but, it does exist, and it is important to consider, and I'm not even going into the ethics of all this mess!