Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newby, couldn't lurke no more

image I've been reading these forums for a long time, just had to join. I started collecting U.S. Coins back in the late 70's. Had to sell and raise a family. Sounds like some other stories I've read before. Anyway, got back in to collecting a couple years ago. Main interest, Morgan dollars. I'm about 45% in completing this set of Morgans, trying to stay above MS-64, HA !! I see MS-63 to AU's in the future to complete this set. Due to the rescent price increase of these cartwheels, I seem to have backed away from them for a while. I liked all U.S. coinage so well and wanted to collect them all, so I'm working on a Type Set now. Sorry everyone, I haven't been able to do pictures yet. Hopefully in the near future.
I have a question about the grading companies. ANACS- net grades down one point for cleaning or scratches or something. Does everyone agree with this ?? Shouldn't the grade be left at what it supposed to be and noted on the slab the problem and let the owner and buyer squabble over the price !!
Also, PCGS & NGC, bodybag coins that have problems such as cleaning, artificial toning or whatever. Shouldn't they grade and slab the coin and make note of their problem with the coin on the slab. By returning a coin in a BB, aren't they forcing some collectors to do something with that coin such as dip it or choose another grading service. If they think the toning is guestionable, then designate it so on the slab. What do you all think ??image
Wayne

Comments

• Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Welcome to the forums! image

As for your comments, ANACS doesn't always netgrade down 1 point... it depends on how harsh the cleaning is. PCGS and NGC simply don't want problem coins in their holders. Simple as that. They want the coins in their holders to be problem free. I'm sure someone has asked this question of David Hall on the Q&A. You can probally get the official answer there
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a question about the grading companies. ANACS- net grades down one point for cleaning or scratches or something. Does everyone agree with this ?? Shouldn't the grade be left at what it supposed to be and noted on the slab the problem and let the owner and buyer squabble over the price !! >>

I agree with ANACS' net grading policy so long as the seller describes the nature of the problem in his ads. Net grading can give you an idea as to how severe the problem is. It's not perfect, and some people don't like it, but it's a valid approach IMO. It's hard to argue prices because of net graded defects unless you are in a coin shop or at a show.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    also if they net grade them there's only a SLIGHT chance they'll make another $20 off the next guy (resubmissions) who buys the coins. They make a LOT of money off the same coins i'm sure. Remember, they're not in it totally for the good of the hobby, they're in it for the money.

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>also if they net grade them there's only a SLIGHT chance they'll make another $20 off the next guy (resubmissions) who buys the coins. They make a LOT of money off the same coins i'm sure. Remember, they're not in it totally for the good of the hobby, they're in it for the money. >>

All things considered I'm a lot happier with a net grade from ANACS than a body bag from PCGS and NGC.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards. On ANACS, if they didn't net grade down for problems it would seem the scammers would take advantage and rip-off newbies to the hobby. IMO PCGS/NGC should keep BBing problem coins. Too much water already under the bridge with their high standards on coin quality for a change now. When I search pcgs on a coin sales net search, I want to continue only looking through no-problem coins. I do think NGC should change in that NCS treated coins are indicated on slab someway, even if a discret color label maybe just for them. image
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Due to limited time, I don;t search for ANACS slabs because some of them are problem coins

...so I am relieved that NGC & PCGS don;t slab problem coins, saves a lot of time.

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Oh yeah, forgot...

welcome!

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Due to limited time, I don;t search for ANACS slabs because some of them are problem coins >>

Which reduces the competition for the problem-free ANACS slabs. I won't go after one if it's net graded, usually, but if I can see the label, it indicates no problems or net grades and the coin looks good, pretty decent deals can be made.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS net grades coins with "issues", as others have noted, in order to give a professional opinion of the severity of the problem(s).

If a submitter just wanted authenticity verification, a detail grade, and a notation of the problem, without providing an opinion as to how much to downgrade the coin for the problem, then NCS and SEGS do this, so they could submit to them.

And if a submitter wanted the problem ignored, as well as a very optimistic detail grade, they can submit to ACG or NTC, among others. image

edited to add emoticon, and to say

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    image Thanks a lot guys for your input on this topic of the grading services.
    Wayne
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    Welcome to the boards! I wish you luck with your Morgan set.
  • Options
    image To the Boards Wayne
    Michael
  • Options

Katrina
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    welcome
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Be Bop A Lula!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to ya' WAM!!! Now I'm not the newest one in here. Best of luck with your morgans and you will find this to be a great board. Lots of expertise and plenty of opinions here but not the moanin' and groanin' you see in the typical forum. Have fun.

Mike
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    welcome wam image
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum! A lot of us think they should give details grades when appropriate and designate the problems.
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    You've come to the right spot to learn, that's for sure. Being new myself, I learned real quick to speak up and ask. You'll find lot's of responses and help. People will even go out of their way to check out things of a questionable nature on other sites. Welcome.

Jerry
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Here's a Big Fat Welcome to Ya!image
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard!
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Welcome aboard! image
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    image Enjoy!!!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list