Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Gloves

What kind of gloves should I be using when placing coins in an album? Im going to be recieving an album in the mail either today or tommorrow, and ive got a few coins to put in it, very nice MS coins. Where would I get these gloves also, can I get them somewhere like a department or grocery store?
Scott Hopkins
-YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!

Comments

• Options
    I use surgical type latex gloves for extended handling.

I get'em from the hospital here on base. shhhhhhhhhhh

You should be able to get something similar at K-Mart or Wal-mart, I would imagine.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Pink cotton ones.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    the old advice has always been "cotton gloves". i can tell you after a couple of experiences, i DON'T recommend cotton gloves for handling coins, becuase there's plenty of opportunity for the coin to slip away. latex surgicals are much better, imo. as far as pressing coins into an album, i recommend a simple piece of saran wrap between your finger & the coin as you press it in.

K S
  • Options
    Isn't there some type of rubber gloves that have a powder on them that you want to avoid?
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Can't be too safe, I say...

Say, Karl...what kind of gloves do you recommend for handling slabs?
  • Options
    Those look more like something to handle chubbies with.
  • Options

<< <i>Those look more like something to handle chubbies with. >>

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even a sock [clean of course] will work if you are careful.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>Even a sock [clean of course] will work if you are careful. >>

Wow, you must be really dexterous if you handle coins with your feet! Amazing!!!

• Options
    Eww.. socks on chubbies image
  • Options
    most auto parts stores now carry gloves in latex with or without powder,as well as non-latex types as well
    some people are allergic to latex if you imagine how painful that may be ! (we might not be talking about 5 finger gloves either)
    expect to pay 8-12 bucks per box of 100
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The surgical gloves had powder,not sure but I think they discontinued using powder do to alergic reactions.
    Al
  • Options
    I just got some high grade MS and proof coins, I don't want screwed up.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    i think the non-latex are neoprene or nitrophyl
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can buy white cotton gloves at Walgreens, among other places.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for handling coins, the best imo is just washed and dried hands.
    use a clean piece of paper or cloth if you have to press a coin into a holder or some such.

I'd avoid latex or other rubber gloves, if you must wear them, then thin white cotton gloves.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Cotton gloves, silk gloves if you can find them!!
  • Options
    Latex (non-powdered). You can buy them at most any drug store or at a Costco or Sam's Club.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Sam's Club image

You mean Wally World? Haven't you ever seen the movie Needful Things?
  • Options
    Ok, I am now the resident Expert on handling coins.
    You can get your gloves at just about any drug store, Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, etc.
    Both the Cotton or the surgical type.
    or mittens if you like.
    Actually learning a few things here. What a great site.

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Say, Karl...what kind of gloves do you recommend for handling slabs? >>

bwuahaha! you don't need gloves for those, you need safety goggles to avoid the flying shards of splintered plastic! bwuahahahaha!

K S
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Alright guys, digging up an old thread because I just got my Dansco Presidential $ album and was going to put some coins into it.

I have read a lot about latex gloves on this forum, but are they really good?

I currently have some that I got at the auto parts store that are called "Mechanic's Latex Gloves" and say "talc free" on the package.

However, there's also a note in the fine print that says "Powdered with absorbable dusting powder, U.S.P."

I don't think I can bring myself to try these gloves on pretty new MS and PF coins. I have used a clean cotton sock before and it worked well.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Yay! Old Thread!

I used to use thin cotton gloves, but I do not like how quickly they absorb my finger oils; they quickly become cottony contamination rags.

I currently use lint free, chemical free LCD screen wipes. You have to be a little careful with them, as they don't fit like a glove.

I'm sure there is a better solution.

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    White cotton
  • Options

<< <i>Eww.. socks on chubbies image >>

Is that response from Placid or Flaccid image
  • Options

<< <i>Alright guys, digging up an old thread because I just got my Dansco Presidential $ album and was going to put some coins into it.

I have read a lot about latex gloves on this forum, but are they really good?

I currently have some that I got at the auto parts store that are called "Mechanic's Latex Gloves" and say "talc free" on the package.

However, there's also a note in the fine print that says "Powdered with absorbable dusting powder, U.S.P."

I don't think I can bring myself to try these gloves on pretty new MS and PF coins. I have used a clean cotton sock before and it worked well. >>

Digging up a realy old thread and what is funny is I saw my old Avatar and user name there on the first page!
  • Options
    Wayne why haven't you chimed inimage

The Wizard Baby 99Cents
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options
    VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blue Nitrile gloves.... no talc or powder... chemical free... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    whatever gloves you use, make sure they fit...I wouldnt want this guy handling my coins:

In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

............this is a great question for the tpg graders to answer................any in the audience??? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>Blue Nitrile gloves.... no talc or powder... chemical free... Cheers, RickO >>

That's what I use and they work great. Next time you're visiting your doctor and are left alone in the examining room, just grab a handful from the box and put them in your pocket. image

Bob
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Blue Nitrile gloves.... no talc or powder... chemical free... Cheers, RickO >>

That's what I use and they work great. Next time you're visiting your doctor and are left alone in the examining room, just grab a handful from the box and put them in your pocket. image >>

..........i did that once...................i later found it on my bill..image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    I use powder-free latex finger cots

I buy them from Jpscorner.com
    Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    The powder free blue nitril gloves probably are the best, but any powder free glove made of vinyl, latex or cotton is fine for preventing fingerprints on coins. You wouldn't want to store coins in vinyl, but vinyl gloves won't be in contact with the coins long enough to get PVC residue on them and if you get dermatitis vinyl is better then latex. I got hand dermatitis one time and it took weeks to get rid of the little bumps. Even putting a baggie over your hand will work to prevent fingerprints if you are just pushing a couple of coins into an album. Washed hands are fine for examining coins if you carefully hold them by the edges, but gloves prevent accidental prints from showing up years later on coins if you are placing them in albums.
  • Options
    There is no need for gloves. If you know to pick up a coin by the edges you are fine.

None of the grading services use them. The dealers and collectors at shows dont use them. Have a pad below you and be careful. You will drop more coins than ever before with gloves on.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is no need for gloves. If you know to pick up a coin by the edges you are fine.

None of the grading services use them. The dealers and collectors at shows dont use them. Have a pad below you and be careful. You will drop more coins than ever before with gloves on.

Cameron Kiefer >>

Here, here. I know I did. image
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    You do need something to prevent fingerprints if you are placing coins in an album though.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the old advice has always been "cotton gloves". i can tell you after a couple of experiences, i DON'T recommend cotton gloves for handling coins, becuase there's plenty of opportunity for the coin to slip away. latex surgicals are much better, imo. as far as pressing coins into an album, i recommend a simple piece of saran wrap between your finger & the coin as you press it in.

K S >>

get the kind without the powder
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is no need for gloves. If you know to pick up a coin by the edges you are fine.

Cameron Kiefer >>

Yes I agree - after the first drop of a valuable coin you'll wish you had just washed your hands well and used care instead of gloves...
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I use Mindfreak gloves, I close my eyes and the coins go where I want them to all by themselves.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file