Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

LEBRON JAMES / MICHAEL JORDAN UD EXQUISITE

Well its finaly out of the pack.... $300,000 BUY IT NOW!

Anyone think its wierd that this is also in California?

Comments

• Options
    joker73joker73 Posts: 497
    That sound you just heard was the collective wail of shop owners who still have overpriced $750 "boxes" of this product sitting on their shelves ...
  • Options
    What a piece of junk, not even autographed.... If I put a 11,000 bid in I still won't meet the reserve.... image
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    At $500 a pack,ther can't be to many cases out there.
  • Options
    NBAFanNBAFan Posts: 744
    I hope it doesn't sell due to the sellers reserve and he does "lock it away" because that card isn't going to go up in value, all three are going to go down in value. Anyone stupid enough to invest in them deserves to lose money.
  • Options
    I wonder how much I can get for a Michael Jordan card with a glued on Hanes underwear tag.... hmmm!
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Unreal. I would have passed out on the card shop floor if I pulled that.

Someone is gonna make some $$$. Hardly the holy grail though..
  • Options
    goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
    and the seller is in Cali.

screw Upper Deck
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    $300,000!! What a fool! But, there is a sucker born every minute...and I bet one of them pays somewhere around $40-$50K for this ridiculous card. Seller doesn't have a lot of feedback, if I were him, and I pulled it, I would think about consigning it to a big time auction house that could hype the living crap out of it (which is all this is anyway, right?) to produce the highest price.

To compare this to a Wagner card is moronic, at best.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and the seller is in Cali. >>

GR
    Don't you believe in coincidence? Me neither!

500+ per pack, wooden box, limited total cards manufactured and they couldn't obtain cutters that would cleave cards smoothly - hell we send men to the moon, space probes to Mars, make computers that talk - and they can't even get a Ginsu knife to cut a card cleanly - if you look at the bottom border, you will see chipping. Actually I find that more unbelievable than the price that this card will command!
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Hey Mike, you should see some of the Exquisite cards I have bought. A few are nice, but most all of them exhibit some sort of defect, in particular, the corners seem to fray and peel a bit due to thickness. Chipping is also evident in many cases. For $500+ a pack for 5 cards, you would think they would work that out, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    I recognize that hand holding the card. It's definitely the guy from ValleyAuctions. I know that hand like the back of my hand.

Watch the prices on those boxes start diving now....

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    Yep. all 3 were pulled in California. Whats funny is this guy even stole valley auctions listing format and most of his wording. I wonder if Valley will buy this one from him too and sell it himself. Maybe this is an alt account or his friends account cuz he didn't want to draw attention to himself for having all 3. That would seem awfully fraudulent now wouldn't it... Hmm.. What pi$$e$ me off is that UD knows in what cases these cards fell, they couldn't send one to the midwest, or east coast? WTF..
  • Options
    <<What a piece of junk, not even autographed.... If I put a 11,000 bid in I still won't meet the reserve.... >>

Aren't there autographed parallels of this card that are also 1/1?

Scott

Edited to add: Never mind. I just downloaded the check list and Iwas mistaken.
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    dstudebadstudeba Posts: 215 ✭✭
    I didn't realize that LeBron James was Michael Jordan's predecessor. If this guy's kids are a dumb as he is, he won't have to worry about sending them to college.

He should dump this garbage for whatever the next moron will pay for it; forget the reserve.

NBAFan is right on.

It is amazing people still pay for this 1 of 1 crap.

Thank heavens I learned my lesson on 20 Jose Canseco rookies.............
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    The people who are bidding on this card should be given a free CAT scan.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    There is not question that this card IS a nicer card than the Kobe/Lebron card that sold for $60000+

Still, neither should be more than $2500 IMHO

• Options
    The next big product that Upper Deck puts out should have a disclaimer on the order form for
    dealers: California need only order!

Mike
  • Options
    I'm going to contact Dateline or 20/20....see if that John guy can give US a break!
  • Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    $300,000??? what a joke, for that price I think I rather have the 1952 Topps box that was in the last mastro auction (not to mention all the $$$ I would have left over)
  • Options
    What the heck is so great about that card, I would rather have the card I saw on ebay last week, it was un Upper deck autographed card of Lebron, Jordan, and T-Mac, graded a PSA 10, #'ed to I think 100, and it went for less than $2,000. Much better deal than this non auto'd card. Anybody who thinks this is gonna be worth more in the years to come deserves to get ripped anyway. Next year there will be another hot 1/1 card of the next hot rookie and Jordan, and this card will be worth half what it's gonna go for or less. I'll be surprised if that card is worth 10 grand in ten years.image
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Whoever the seller is, he's quite hysterically breathless in his presentation.

"AS EARLY COMMUNICATION ON THIS EXACT CARD HAS PROCLAIMED, THIS IS ESTIMATED TO BE WORTH ANYWHERE FROM $150,000 DOLLARS, TO NOONE REALLY KNOWS JUST HOW MUCH!"
    --I should communicate to him my proclamation that I think it's worth decidedly less than that figure.

"I AM NOT LOOKING AT THE HERE AND NOW, I AM THINKING ABOUT THE FUTURE!"
    --Just not thinking correctly.

"JUST THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES THIS CARD HAS WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE!"
    --When all what is said and done?

And someone should tell him that Michael Jordan is Lebron James's predecessor, not the other way around.

WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Well I guess everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame... we get the pleasure to look at this guys 10 days of fame.
    Nice break down of the auction.
  • Options
    Here we go again on another major modern-day card auction. This one is already up to $41,100 with still over 9 days to go.

No matter what we think about the bidding on these cards, one would have to agree that it's been several big weeks for high-dollar auctions of modern-day cards. Plus, the publicity all of this is generating can't be bad for getting some people interested in the hobby again.

-Bob
    TradingCardCentral.com - THE resource for trading card collectors.

TradingCardCentral.com covers sports cards, non-sports cards and collectibles and features the latest industry news, articles, product reviews, forums, giveaways and a growing number of collector resources.
  • Options
    LOL Helio..

Cool card, not worth more than 5grand and I'm a big fan of modern. At least they could've signed it, that would've been much nicer.

Anyway, good for this guy. He won the frickin' sports card lottery of 04 and now he should buy some good cards with all that money he's gonna get. I just hope he wasn't a moron and didn't set the reserve exceddingly high. Why even put a reserve on this card? You don't want to keep it and everyone knows it's gonna go for a ridiculous amount of money. He should've learned from the Ruth triple gu/auto guy.. you lose money doing that.

I still wish I would've pulled it though. I'd sell it and take all you guys out for beers! image Cheers!
  • Options

<< <i>I still wish I would've pulled it though. I'd sell it and take all you guys out for beers! image Cheers! >>

Yeah, at the bar you purchased with the $$$$ from selling this card, right?!?! Does it matter what swatch they put on this card? As long as it is a 1/1, that is all that people are paying for. So it has the LogoMan, big deal. I'd personally rather have the "2" from one of Jordan's jerseys, and the "3" from one of Lebron's jersey. It would then have the #23 which is both of their numbers.

Actually, it would probably have to be the other way around considering the player positioning on the card. But all in all, I agree. Without autos, these cards are worth no more than $5,000 in my eyes. Why didn't they just have them auto them? They both autographed plenty of other stuff in the set. Don't get it.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    I agree about the lack of autographs on these 1/1 logoman cards...it is somewhat amazing the card would be considered that desireable without them. I have seen some really nice Jordan auto pieces in this set, and I could probably buy them all for the price of this one card.

Guess my estimate of $40-$50K was a bit light.
  • Options

<< <i>Guess my estimate of $40-$50K was a bit light. >>

Actually, the thing is already at $50,300 in the first day of bidding. This may very well end up being the highest price paid for a modern card.

-Bob

TradingCardCentral.com covers sports cards, non-sports cards and collectibles and features the latest industry news, articles, product reviews, forums, giveaways and a growing number of collector resources.
  • Options
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Wow!

SOLD for $300K

• Options
    That can't be a real bidder, must be someone messing with him...
  • Options
    Get out of here.....That is outragous.
  • Options
    Or, he "sold" it to a friend, who will at some point turn around and relist it, blabbering on about how this is a $300k card that he due to personal circumstances has to let go of ... his loss is your gain ... blah blah blah ... basically, colluding to artificially create a "value" for the card against which future sales can be measured.

If you actually got that friggin' lucky and pulled that card, why on earth wouldn't you just run an above-board normal auction? You're gonna make a killing anyway ... these shenanigans only make potential big bidders weary in a hurry.
  • Options
    ranchranch Posts: 341

<< <i>AS EARLY COMMUNICATION ON THIS EXACT CARD HAS PROCLAIMED, THIS IS ESTIMATED TO BE WORTH ANYWHERE FROM $150,000 DOLLARS, >>

No, it's not.

<< <i>THIS VERY CARD COULD BE YOUR MILLION DOLLAR DREAM! >>

I bet.

<< <i>THE VALUE OF THIS CARD COULD DOUBLE IN ONE YEAR IF HE GETS ANY BETTER THEN LAST YEAR, AND TRIPLE, OR QUADRUPLE IN VALUE IF HE HAS A GREAT FIVE YEARS! >>

Somebody please get this guy a Doctor.

<< <i>I AM NOT LOOKING AT THE HERE AND NOW, I AM THINKING ABOUT THE FUTURE! >>

So am I...image

<< <i>REMEMBER, THE PSA NM-MT 8 T206 HONUS WAGNER CARD THAT SOLD FOR $1.25 MILLION? THIS CARD WILL GET A BETTER GRADE, AND THERE IS ONLY ONE OF THESE THAT EXISTS(THERE ARE AT LEAST 50 TO 100 HONUS WAGNER CARDS)! JUST IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES! >>

That's enough. Please, I beg you, just stop it.
  • Options
    Just sold via BIN for 300k

Unreal.
  • Options
    Nobody in there right freakin' mind would pay anything more than 10 g's for that card. Something ain't right!image
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    So now this bit of incestuous foreplay has transpired, UD shortly releases a new, similar issue (the prize card being Lebron/Elvis perhaps) and touts the insane prices that these cards went for.
  • Options
    hello?? same auction setup,, same hand

This is valley auctions BUYER ID!

This is purely a guess but if roach says he knows that hand then he does.

They had all three MONEY cards! LOL
    Check Out our auctions grandslamcardco on ebay
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    At the risk of bringing the censors / lawyers down on our heads, does this sort of deceptive market manipulation border on the *ahem* illegal? Not making any such allegation *cough* but just seeking information.
  • Options
    I've been exchanging e-mails with the seller since some time Thursday night and have a fair amount of details that will be shared soon. I don't think this seller is connected in any way to the seller of the 2 previous All NBA Access Pass 1/1 cards. I'm just waiting to confirm that the $300,000 Buy It Now was a real buyer and not somebody fooling around and will then be ready to release an article about the seller and card.

-Bob

• Options
    If the $300,000 is a real buyer, he probably wouldn't want the publicity (or mockery), but in any case, thanks and look forward to the details Bob.
  • Options

<< <i>If the $300,000 is a real buyer, he probably wouldn't want the publicity (or mockery), but in any case, thanks and look forward to the details Bob. >>

Actually, this is a tough one to know how to proceed at this point. I have more than enough details and pictures to proceed with an article on the seller and card. However, he has not responded to my last 2 e-mails that were sent right around the same time as the Buy It Now happened.

If the auction and buyer are real, then I imagine he simply is still celebrating his extra $300,000 and getting back to me is not a priority. image

However, not hearing back makes me hesitant to publish the story. I don't want to proceed with something that ends up differently than it currently looks.

Still deciding...

-Bob

• Options
    Ok, I heard back from the seller this morning after about 2.5 days and he indicated that the high bidder looks to be legitimate and that he expects to receive payment in the next several days.

I also talked to someone at the card shop where the box that had the card was sold and that discussion helped to confirm some of the details I received from the seller.

From everything I have at this point, I'm pretty confident that this is real. So, I guess I'll be working hard on finishing the story tonight. image

Now, whether or not the high bidder comes through with payment this week is still left to be seen.

-Bob

• Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    With all due respect there is no way this is real. If it is, I will be simply amazed and humbled.
  • Options

<< <i>With all due respect there is no way this is real. If it is, I will be simply amazed and humbled. >>

Trust me, I don't want to go out with this story unless I'm as positive as I can be that it's real. I've done everything I can to confirm it at this point and everything comes back okay. For example, I have a picture that he provided of him with the card that clearly shows his face. From another independent source, I know what he does for a living and have a photo of him from his employer's web site. The person in each photo is the same person.

I can say this, I'm fairly certain that the seller is real and that he actually pulled the card. If not, the extent to which he has gone to pull off this stunt is a story in itself. I just can't imagine that someone would have exposed themselves as much as he has with me if it's a lie.

What I can't say is whether the high bidder is real. That is a separate story though that, in my opinion, does not take away from the story of the seller pulling the card.

-Bob

• Options

<< <i>What I can't say is whether the high bidder is real. That is a separate story though that, in my opinion, does not take away from the story of the seller pulling the card.
    >>

Well, a couple hours later, we already know the answer on whether the high bidder is real. The high bidder has backed out and will likely be doing the same on many other recent auctions. The bidder last had feedback in January 2004, but then went on a run at winning big-dollar auctions in the last week or so.

Click here to see completed auctions for which graefinjewlery was the high bidder. Notice $8,000 on a Gehrig auto and $15,000 on a 1916 M101-4 Gimbels Babe Ruth PSA 5 card.

In addition, click here to see their feedback where a negative has already been left on the Exquisite auction.

-Bob

• Options
    It's Back on eBay! Lebron / Jordan Link
  • Options

<< <i>The high bidder has backed out >>

Gee, what a surprise. Even the craziest of the crazy would not pay $300K for a modern card, and putting that silly BIN was just asking for someone to mess with him.
  • Options

<< <i>Even the craziest of the crazy would not pay $300K for a modern card, and putting that silly BIN was just asking for someone to mess with him. >>

CT
    I hear dat!
    Stone
    Mike