Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1876CC Trade Dollar In Hand----Need you guys expertise!! Pics attached

Ok guys, I really need to borrow your expertise on this one. I posted the scan of this coin the other day, well now here are some better photos of it, now that I have it in hand.

The date is serious doubled, which was not visible in the scans from my previous thread.

Just trying to find out what you all think? I plan to send it to ANACS for authentication, but always welcome you guys' thoughts.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's ligitimate, I think it's been cleaned and tooled... the feathers on the eagle's neck look like spaghetti, and the color just doesn't seem right, either.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    What Russ said.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    What Russ & Contagious said.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the feathers on the eagle's neck look like spaghetti...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    I have just uncovered that the eyeball on the eagle is not incuse also, this coin is definitely a counterfeit.

Thanks for all of you guys' help on this one.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The eagle's head and the ribbon with the motto on it look very suspicious to me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    A "china hit"-not micro or tall cc-no such animal-also wouldn't expect to find this piece in this state, for this year. Appearance is monolithic, an indication of attempt to age.
  • Options
    With those neck feathers/hair?? it looks like the famous HIPPY variety!!
  • Options
    Hi,

The toing looks artificial… too monotone all around and too dark in all the grooves, it does appear to be counterfeit. I agree that the feathers on the neck look wrong and the eye of the eagle doesn’t’ look right either.

Who did you purchase it from, did you get in on Ebay… if so, toss us the link to the auction?

Anthony
  • Options
    I have some counterfeits that look exactly the same.
    I'm in contol of my own losses.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw many fake Trade $s when I was in the Far East. Most were easy to spot. I bought one fake because it looked good & its weight seemed to be right. It even fooled many dealers when I brought it to the Long Beach Show. The only way to tell it was fake was to drop it on a hard object & listen for the 'ping.' It turned out that the metallic content wasn't quite right, though the coin was primarily made of silver.

My advice is if it isn't in a PCGS, NGC or ANACs slab, don't mess with it.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    Calling Tradedollarnut...Where are you?
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    I mailed the coin to ANACS this morning for authentication on a 2-day express service, I will let you all
    Know what the outcome is when I get the fax back probably on Tuesday or Wednesday.

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    ANACS is just going to take your money and send it back in a body bag?-----BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    BigE,

You are probably right, but at least I will have documented proof against the Ebay Seller when I file my Paypal claim to get my money back.
  • Options

<< <i>at least I will have documented proof against the Ebay Seller when I file my Paypal claim to get my money back. >>

You'd better move quickly. You have only a maximum of 30 days in which to file a claim.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Thanks Russ,

I mailed it in today under a 2-day express service and sent it overnight mail. I asked for fax results which I should get by Tuesday. I think I am ok. I already filed the Paypal Claim just in case and asked them to postpone a judgment on the case until I get the authentication results.

The seller won't answer emails, but already made a response to the claim that I cannot view, so I have no clue what they told Paypal. Hopefully, paypal will contact me with what the sellers' response was.

Thanks again.
  • Options

<< <i>The seller won't answer emails >>

Who is the seller?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

I knew I had my 1876-CC DDR around here somewhere!image

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Proof69, I hope you get this seller------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    ANACS received the coin this morning, holiday messed up my overnight package I guess. I should get the fax tomorrow sometime, lets see what happens. I already emailed Paypal to hold off on making a decision on my paypal claim until the authentication results come back from ANACS. I don't know if I can nail the seller, but I should get my money back from Paypal since I paid for the buyer protection, if it comes back as counterfeit.

I still have no clue, as to what story the seller dreamed up and told Paypal. I know some of you want to know who the seller is, but I wanted to wait until this is done the right way before I diclose that info. But, rest assured. I will let you all know who it is soon enough.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file