Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1909 PCGS PR66CAM 25c (Just another really ugly Barber)

This hasn't been an easy coin to capture, but after a lot of messing with lighting, I finally have a worthy "sight seen" image. I took this with GE Reveal lighting with the white balance set manually and bracketed. OTT lighting didn't work and neither did sunlight on this coin.

Comments

• Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    I'd take it image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice color. Beautiful coin. Mmmm proof.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Verrrrry nice.

Alex in Alaska
    Collecting Morgans in Any Grade
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe this coin made you work that hard for just a picture. Now that you have a picture, I'll take the coin out back and deal with it on your behalf. image
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Gorgeous coin. Great photography. How long did it take you to get the final product? (It can take me at least an hour to produce an image.)

Could you tell us about how much you paid fo it, either specifically or generally? (My apologies to anyone who thinks this might be a rude question but it is also educational and we're all here for that, eh?)
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>(Just another really ugly Barber) >>

You got that right! image

Wow! That coin really is spectacular--absolutely beautiful! Looks like a Pinnacle coin... is it?

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Great photo of a great coin! Thanks for posting it.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    That needs a serious dip...send it to NCS....or send it to me and I'll just put in the vault and forget about it for the next 20 years...... image

BTW, very nice pic! image
  • Options
    GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    Very Nice coin, I just bought a PR66 1912 for my extended type set that could be the twin to that one but my picture of the reverse looks brown, when in fact it is Blues and greens.
    Great coin!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I like the well matched tone on the obv & rev. It's about as matched as they get. Always seems like the rev never looks quite like the obv. Really nice.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, yeah. Suuure. It's totally hideous. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    amazing wild superlative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

let me guess youpaid 4250 to 5250 for this coin somewhere in the middle of this range i would guesstimate

michael
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    monster!

also looks cameo to me
  • Options

<< <i>Gorgeous coin. Great photography. How long did it take you to get the final product? (It can take me at least an hour to produce an image.) >>

Thanks Adrian! You should see all the dead images of this coin. I have a hard drive filled with them.

Now that I have this camera a little more dialed in it takes me a little less time to get a shot right. It still does take over an hour per coin though.

This coin was shot from a tripod with 100 ISO, f10 and shutter speed 1/4 second. One thing that saves me a ton of time is that the downloaded images have exposure information that is included with the photo. This means that I can choose an obverse and reverse image with the same exposure and not have to guess whether they are right together or not. That used to burn a ton of time having to compare images to get two that were close.

<< <i>Could you tell us about how much you paid fo it, either specifically or generally? (My apologies to anyone who thinks this might be a rude question but it is also educational and we're all here for that, eh?) >>

The coin was $3250 from Pinnacle. I can tell you guys that because I purchased it directly from their web site listings. If I was a want list customer it would still be a mystery. I think that the coin was a pretty good deal.

Here was Pinnacle's image on their website.

I know that Pinnacle in the interest of time has to image coins in a hurry. I think that they added a little bit of contrast to the image to try and give some idea of the color of the coin. It is a little darker sight seen.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Old Cam, that coin in just awful. Please send it to me so I can dispose of it

and save you the embarrassment. Just kidding, lovely toner.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    It is a lovely coin. How pronounced is the cam?
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

My thoughts exactly.image You need to discard that toxic waste imediately. Send it to me for proper disposal.image
  • Options

<< <i>It is a lovely coin. How pronounced is the cam? >>

Thanks, the cameo is CAM on the obverse and CAM on the reverse. It's unusual to see the reverse not be CAM+ to DCAM. Many of the post 1900 Barber quarters are like that, with very little cameo on the obverse but super strong cameos on the reverse.
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Absolutely beautiful!
  • Options
    Hey I feel like we're brothers in -- proof Barber Quarters. I got my 1911 from Pinnacle as well.

I love that coin!! And I'm really starting to fall for the cameos of days gone by.

I gotta resubmit my 1911. No offense but if that went Cam, mine has to.

Great catch!!!

Michael
  • Options
    I agree with Michael. I think you got the coin at least $1,000 less than it should go for, and your coin is exceptional to boot !
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Thanks, oldcameoproofsguy! I appreciate the information.

adrian
  • Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    That is a beauty.
  • Options
    HootHoot Posts: 867
    That's a superb coin, and perhaps the prettiest image of a Barber coin I've ever seen. Crunchy, original patina. I love it!

Barber (silver) and seated coinage seems to develop the deep wild blues more than any other silver coinage. Might anyone know a reason for that, or am I just imagining it? Yes, I know it occurs on other coins in other series, but that type of patination appears to be most common in those series. Any comments on common methods of storage, alloy mixtures or other features?

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options

<< <i>Barber (silver) and seated coinage seems to develop the deep wild blues more than any other silver coinage. Might anyone know a reason for that, or am I just imagining it? Yes, I know it occurs on other coins in other series, but that type of patination appears to be most common in those series. Any comments on common methods of storage, alloy mixtures or other features? >>

On pg 138 of The Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfiet Detection from the PCGS, it says that the proof papers for Barber coinage had a great deal of sulfer in them. If a coin sat in its proof papers undisturbed for many years a deep colorful patina would result.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file