• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Is it a with cents or no cents variety?
  • Options
    skingspanskingspan Posts: 519 ✭✭
  • Options
    I don't think it is, could be wrong.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if its cleaned. If the reverse is similar in wear au about a $10-$15 coin.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks cleaned and retoned to me ... I have a partial set of Very Choice AU/Unc's (JTM on Reg) ... AU-55 detail

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    There doesn't appear to be any abrasion marks from a harsh cleaning. Possibly dipped, but if I were looking for a XF-AU example, that coin would fit the bill for me.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to clarify ... it looks washed ... not abrasively cleaned

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    Does not look cleaned, but it is tough to tell from the picture.
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    The photo posted looks like it came from a scanner, which doesn't show luster. I'd guess it's not cleaned, but probably has slight wear. A nice AU nickel.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears to have been lightly burnished, not cleaned.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it has been cleaned. How much? enough to hurt the value pretty good. mike
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it was cleaned to me. Note the apparent friction areas of darker coloration between the stars, but not affecting the protected areas around the stars.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Hi,

The coin's details are sweet however... it does look too monotone, I really don’t see any luster and the whole coin looks like it is toned too evenly. However, a scan can make a silvery coin look grey though… was this a photo or a scan?

Anthony
  • Options
    This one looks cleaned and retoned.

I have an interesting story about this coin. When my father died, my mother gave me a few coins he had collected. One of them was an 1883 no cents nickel that someone had plated in gold. I told my mother this was a counterfeit, and the reason the word "cents" was quickly added. A lot of con artists took these nickels, plated them in gold, and passed them off as gold pieces.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    (double-post)
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights