Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Loupes

F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
What power is normally used for grading at pcgs and ngc? What do you guys usually use to inpect your coins. I ordered my first loupe a few months ago and its a 16X. I love it because I can finally spot those varieties I couldnt spot before. Is 16X too weak? Thanx for your help guys.
Beware of the flying monkeys!
Aerospace Structures Engineer

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    When the graders actually use a loupe, 5X is most common. I also use 5X.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I use one which has both a 5x and a 10x. I see no reason to need more than that most of the time.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I use one which has both a 5x and a 10x. I see no reason to need more than that most of the time. >>

Me too!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    wow! I wasn't aware of this. I guess that's why I am super picky on picking out coins at shows. I went to a small glendale show and only came back with 3 kennedy halves and ssome silver bullion. Well, I guess I just build a really nice set. Thanx guys.
  • Options
    Hi,

I have a 10x that I got free when I joined the ANA, nice little bonus... anyways, I use that and a smaller 5x... I guess that seems to be what everyone else is using. I recall reading that the PCGS suggests using a 10x, but don't quote me on that.

Anthony
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a tri loupe....it has a 5X lens (use that 90% of the time), a 10X lens (use that 9% of the time) and a 15X lense (very rarely, maybe 1%). Even though you hardly use the 15X it sure is nice to have when you do need it.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    F117ASR,

If you micro-scrutinize everything like that, you stand to miss some very nice coins.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a video camrea lens....yes a video camera lens.image Go to the thrift store and buy a broken video camera for about $5 or $7 dollars. Remove the lens and throw everything else away. Be sure the lens diameter is fairly wide. It will give you an awesome view of the whole coin and stop you from micrograding.
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Wheres the best place to get a cheap loupe....very cheap loupe? Anyone have an extra they care to pass on?
  • Options
    I use a Bausch and Lomb 5X aspheric magnifier in a black slide-out, about a 1 1/2" diameter lens. I tried those tiny 1/2" loupes, and they don't work for me because they are too small. I rarely look very close at a coin with my magnifier, as looking close-up with good lighting is usually good enough for me.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I use an Eschenbach 5x for grading (when I use anything at all which is rare unless the coin is small) and an Eschenbach 10x for spotting varieties.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭
    Dittos what the Dead King said.....I use a 6x Eschenbach, and have a 12x Eschenbach for varities or counterfeit detection.

You must learn to assess the coin in question with your naked eye first........do you see a distraction with your eyeball? Then use the loupe to see if it's that bad or not.

Spend the money on an Eschenbach, 5-6x, or a BL Hastings triplet.....DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON A CHEAP LOUPE!

Cheers and have fun, and lose the 16x for all but RPMs DDs and such.
  • Options
    << Wheres the best place to get a cheap loupe....very cheap loupe? Anyone have an extra they care to pass on? >>

You need to try out different ones like I did before getting what works for you. I got mine at a coin show where I was able to try several. You can find a decent one at a coin show or shop for around $10 - $20, so price is really a non-issue. My Bausch and Lomb was only $9, but I just lucked out that the one I preferred was cheap. The more expensive ones I tried were way too small and I had a harder time seeing through them.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Eschenbach 5x is the best!

Rgrds
    Tom
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a 10X Bash & Lomb to catch problems and alterations. Rarely I'll use a 20X for altered mint marks and the like.

I grade with my bare eyes. I’m as near sighted as a mole, and as a result I can see far more without a glass than most people can see with one.

One piece of advice. If you use anything stronger than a 5X for grading, and don’t adjust your opinion for the fact that the imperfections on the coin are greatly magnified by the glass, you will miss out on a lot of good deals. I had to drop a customer who started using a 20X for grading. He started to return everything and NOTHING could please him. To top things off he was trying to buy coins in the VF to MS-63 range. There is no way that coins in those grades won’t have marks that you can see with a 20X or a 10X for that matter. This guy was returning stuff because he was getting upset about marks that were as big as a pinhead, no exaggeration!

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have both 10x and 16x tripletts, I rarely use the 16x unless I am looking for OMM or repunched dates.

Even the 10x is a bit too powerful.

I like the idea of using a 5x or just the nekkid eye.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I general use a 7X if at all, but I have a 14X that comes in handy for varieties.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if the various grading services have a standard glass that they use for grading. They probably should. I use an Eschenbach 5X. It's an excellent grading glass. 16X is too high for grading. Remember that with enough magnification you can make any coin look bad.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Triplet 5x loupe works great for me, especially since it only cost $6.95...image
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    I just got a B&L 7x Hastings Triplet for Father's Day, and it's great for grading. I will concur with the others who say to buy a quality lens. The B&L Triplet loupes are well worth the money that you invest in them. You just have to shop around until you find a good deal on them. Here is a link to the site that I got my loupe from. It is not a coin related site but the deals on B&L Loupes is great. A 7x like I have only costs $32.00 and that includes shipping and a lanyard!! It's the best deal I've found on-line bar none!!
    J'har
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    My first loupe was a 10x B&L.

That was a little strong, so I moved down to 7x B&L.

Now I'm thinking about a 5x loupe. I don't think B&L makes 5x, so I'm not sure what to get.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use a Bausch and Lomb 5X aspheric magnifier in a black slide-out, about a 1 1/2" diameter lens. I tried those tiny 1/2" loupes, and they don't work for me because they are too small. I rarely look very close at a coin with my magnifier, as looking close-up with good lighting is usually good enough for me. >>

I use that too. I have never picked up my loupe since I got it.

Cost about $7.00
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I have a B&L 7X and 10X.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    i use a B & L, 81-23-63
    has 2 lenses 3x and 4x,together 7x
    i like it.
    paid $9.50 for it

Proof
  • Options
    Well thank you for your help. I'm going to browse the net now for a good loupe (probably a 7X).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file