Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SEGS holders - a tough nut to crack

It took me almost an hour to get a coin out of a SEGS holder.

They use a softer plastic that doesn't crack. You kind of have to roll it up to peel it apart.

No more SEGS for me!
My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Use a vise or a C clamp. I've busted them open with no problem that way.
  • Options

I use branch trimmers (large cutters with a long lever arm). The added leverage makes cutting easy. SEGS makes a great holder. I especially like the top label.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I've said it before but it bears repeating. Take it to a trophy shop that has a laser and it can be cut out in less than a minute.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    2 whacks w/ a hammer is all it takes. i can bust a segs slab in < 10 seconds, though they are the toughest. the newer ngc slabs are catching up though.

pci slabs bust fastest, 5 seconds tops. anacs, acg & old-style pcgs slabs are right behind.

K S
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't had a problem with SEGS holders, Solid hammer taps on all four sides does the trick for me. I find the newer PCGS holders far more difficult.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that was a blast from the past!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

No no no! Wrap the slab in detcord, control detonation, search for pmd coin in blast radius. We want pictures of you survive. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

band saw

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resurrection.... I recommend a Dremel though.... the speed and pressure can be controlled with little danger to the coin.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

I love these old posts... and I love SEGS holders.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

That why we drink and have a Band Saw

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just did one yesterday. Threw it on the floor a couple times before i remembered how stubborn they are and it cracked in a bad way. Had to get all surgical like I was doing brain surgery to remove the coin without damage. Love the tactile feel of them but not much else..

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's weird seeing all of those older posts. I hardly recognized anyone.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dorkkarl, another blast from the past! :D

• Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to have found this post. I opted for the hammer approach, a whack on each side on the lower part of the slab and open it came!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file