Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When showing your collection.....

When showing your collection to a non-collector type friend or family member, what coin(s) or set of coins get the most excited responses??

- oldest coin
- most expensive coin
- most shiny coin
- biggest coin
- smallest coin
- silver dollars
- gold coins
- set of state quarters
- other

Now be honest!!!!image

For me it is my 50 of so UNC Morgan dollars in flips and then the Proof State Quarters. image

Larry

Comments

• Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Other - My toned coins - People love seeing the pretty colors..image
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    for people who do not know coins at all it seems the oldest coin is the "most valuable" to them. Then comes the "oldest is not always the most valuable speech". I know you all know what I am talkiing about.
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    The oddities: two cent, 3CN, 3CS, half cent, large cent and Proof SAEs.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Definitely oldest.

I leave a few circulated Morgans and Peace dollars on my desk at work. Inevitably, someone will pick one up and say "1883, wow, how much is this worth?"
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it is my oldest - which happens to be a 1804 Half Cent, so it also has that "oddity" factor as well.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I think people like the oldest generally.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    That's easy to answer, for me, Oldest usually brings the most excited responses. Then comes the better quality and then expensive. But most of my coins are old!!! image
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Most of the time the oldest, but sometimes the biggest coins as well ('that are big coins to have in my wallet")

Dennis
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep the attention goes to the oldest, the goldest, and the boldest!

I get lots of oo's and aah's over this one:

non-collecting folks love the ones dated in the 1700s

this one also happens to be large (a silver dollar), fairly expensive, and it just looks old

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    when shown to males: oldest
    to females: most visually pleasing
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    $20.00 gold coins seem to get the most interest. When I show them a nickel or a quarter that cost more they give me strange looks. image

Don
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GOLD

Big, bright and shiny gets them everytime. Most of the rest are just "interesting."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    I had a friend who was interested in slabs... just the idea of slabs excited him... image

Another guy at church was intrigued by one of my Half-Dime... image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    HedgerHedger Posts: 1,238
    I am very reluctant to show my collection. A completed set brings the most oohs and ahhhs to those who see it.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Non collectors are almost always most excited about American Eagle Proofs. For the most part they don't get as excited about the tarnished older coins.image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have sort of quit showing them to non collectors.

My wife looks at the coins and wonders why I like all the really dirty ones. She says that I should do something to clean them up, they'd look better that way.

My Bro in law wondered about a 1889 PROOF Seated half dollar how they were able to pour the metal so well.

I just give up. I'll be happy to look at them and think about them, but I can't deal with the agony.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    "My Bro in law wondered about a 1889 PROOF Seated half dollar how they were able to pour the metal so well."

The Mint really does a good job pouring the metal don't they. image

With me, the oddest coins get the most attention. Showing MS67 steel cents always gets a look of amazement!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Putting them away usually gets a good response image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    $2 1/2 Indian coins seem to interest people. Probably because they're gold, have an incuse (e.g. different) design, and are a pretty weird denomination if you think about it.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I'll agree with EvilMCT. It's usually the "oddities", 1/2 cent, 2 cent, 3 cent, etc. It's the face values that most people never knew were minted that get the most attention.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people seem incredibly uninterested in coins but there are some things that will grab
    some peoples attention. Great variety like a type set or a collection of variously shaped coins
    can get some people's attention. Also gold or most anything shiny can be of interest. Odd ball
    items are often most effective such as spectacular errors or strange tokens.

It often seems as though much of the responce is based on how they are presented and on how
    interested you are in them.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file