Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Big firms hiring - does it mean anything?

krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
In this week's NN, Spectrum has a full-page ad looking to hire for multiple positions at their various companies; Superior had a full-page ad looking to hire four salespeople. Heritage has had recent ads looking for salespeople as well.

Does this mean things are heating up? Or just replacing people who have left?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Comments

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    well i will sum it up like this

currently in this coin market anything that is being thrown at the wall is sticking so i guess with this demand/workload means more hiring

michael
  • Options
    It means things are heating up. People don't leave unless they can make more money on their own. 2 years ago there wasn't more than 1 ad from Heritage and now there are multiples.

Cameron kiefer
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    heating up?? as in getting hotter?? good question. probably just a continuing of the last several years. firms hire all the time on projections, why would the coin biz be any different?? some of the larger firms might have multiple collections to inventory and prep for the upcoming summer season and heading into the fall---(sic).

are these long term or short term positions?? are they outside contact positions or in-house Numismatic positions?? too many questions that can't form any certain answers, despite what some will say. i suggest one of our esteemed members apply and perform the investigation for us. the truth shall be known!!

hey Cam, people sometimes leave one employer for a higher paying position with another employer. people sometimes are promoted within a company which opens a position for an outside hire.

al h.image
  • Options

<< <i>hey Cam, people sometimes leave one employer for a higher paying position with another employer. people sometimes are promoted within a company which opens a position for an outside hire. >>

yes, that SOMETIMES happens but is it happening with every major company and the grading services? No. I know people are quitting and doing their own coins again.

Cameron kiefer
  • Options
    hey Cam

you'll please excuse my ignorance, i failed to realize you had the inside track to the biz. don't worry though, you're young, you'll bounce back!!

al h.image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    The Spectrum ad listed many positions (sales, order entry, cataloguing, etc.), and listed all of their affiliated companies, but didn't identify which jobs were at which companies. The Superior ad was for sales positions but they called it Personal Client Services or something like that - essentially, selling coins which won't be advertised to their established customer list.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    hey Jim

from your description, it sounds like the Spectrum ad could be nothing more than a "Feeler" to see what's out there. and the Superior ad could be help to clear a backlog. i tend to be of the mind that these companies are fairly well informed about who's-who in Numismatics and wouldn't have trouble finding/hiring qualified people, so maybe the pool is dried up as a result of the last 5-7 years which leaves them short for whatever reason.

al h.image
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    In his post Michael said:

currently in this coin market anything that is being thrown at the wall is sticking so i guess with this demand/workload means more hiring

I would add that if these positions are due to the accelerated market conditions. These will also be the first people laid off when it cools down. Beware!

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options

<< <i>you'll please excuse my ignorance, i failed to realize you had the inside track to the biz. don't worry though, you're young, you'll bounce back!! >>

What do you mean by that?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    << hey Cam, people sometimes leave one employer for a higher paying position with another employer. people sometimes are promoted within a company which opens a position for an outside hire. >>
    yes, that SOMETIMES happens but is it happening with every major company and the grading services? No. I know people are quitting and doing their own coins again.

Cameron kiefer

<< you'll please excuse my ignorance, i failed to realize you had the inside track to the biz. don't worry though, you're young, you'll bounce back!! >>
    What do you mean by that?

Cameron Kiefer

ah yes, the exuberance of youth!! my reply was simply a sarcastic reaction to your need to shout of your certainty as to what is happening.

al h.image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Definately an indication of the coin market heating up, but the drop in silver is causing everything to go cold. Don't be surprised if these positions evaporate.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Sorry. I didn't mean to shout, but working full time in the bussiness I do see stuff happening. I'll stay back now and let the collector experts tell everyone what is happening in the dealers side of things. Thats like having a football anouncer anounce for a basketball game. Totally different.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Definately an indication of the coin market heating up, but the drop in silver is causing everything to go cold. Don't be surprised if these positions evaporate. >>

Most dealers I know have not been making a lot of money on buying and selling
    silver. They are making money on increasing coin sales, increased spreads, and
    rising inventory values and none of these are dependent on silver or gold prices.

It would seem collectors are in similar situations for the main part.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Thats like having a football anouncer anounce for a basketball game. Totally different.

hey Cam

if i'm not mistaken, Joe Taite worked from the Indian's booth and courtside for the Caviliers. probably meaningless drivel, though you may catch my drift. perhaps if you temper yourself you wouldn't be involved in frays with members or invoking self-imposed bans upon yourself. that was the nature of my comment that "you'll bounce back" in case it eluded you.

in a nutshell, your involvement in the "business" doesn't necessarily endow you with the certainty you envision nor does my being a lowly "collector" necessarily render my opinion as worthless. but, i digress.

al h.image
  • Options
    No collectors are lowly and I didn't say that. Without collectors we wouldn't have a hobby.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>It means things are heating up. >>

Cameron,

I agree!!!

Is Heritage growing, is Spectrum growing.......YES!!!!

Is the Coin Market growing......Yes!!!

This is not just turn over.

Almost all dealers are having record years.

Two new auction houses.

If someone leaves a job position to go out on their own....it means opportunity and growth.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    Let me play devil's advocateimage

Maybe there are vacancies caused by people leaving the business seeking higher pay in other fields? Seems around here there are real estate sales people ringing my doorbells daily. All come from other "professions".

Coins firms [like banks] are notorious for low pay. Just because they are in the business of handling large sums does not mean they make alot of money. Granted not all positions pay low but if you are not a grader or a direct revenue generator chances are you will not be earning big bucks.

Go to any coin show and you will see mostly men. Old men. Could it be positions are opening up due to attrition caused by retirements?

Lastly, most good jobs [like real estate] do not have to be advertised. There is a long line of people waiting to fill the spot. Someone always knows someone.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From this collector's perspective:

1) Spectrum recently bought Bowers & Merena & took Steve Deeds (and probably a few others ) from Superior in the process. Spectrum's business got bigger they need new people. Superior must replace the people that left.

2) The grading services are seeing lots of modern coins being submitted; they need new / more graders.

3) With prices rising for nice material, more people are consigning their coins to auction. Heritage is the largest auction company.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file