Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I Just Showed My Granddaughter The Toning Project I completed For Her

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
Got My Granddaughter for the weekend and showed her what will be hers when I take the big dirt nap. She definitely loves toned Morgans, so I sat her down and explained how these had toned. She kind of did the "Happy Dance." Makes a grumpy old geezer smile.image

So these are no longer "Pcgs-or Ngc coins, old holder, new holder, star holder" they are just coins. Some are my scans but they all have nice eye-appeal, luster and strikes. I even sought out a few unusual ones you don't see too often. Thanks to those folks who made a few of these available, and also thanks to those that offered but I passed. You all know who you are.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    That is a very cool set with some very beautiful coins.image

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now those... are stunning image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Neat display. You need a board of AT'ers to have for comparison. You could have "oven job", blow torch", "buried in cow manure", tonecoin2003".
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Very nice display stman!
  • Options
    Wow! That's cool! But Capital Plastic's custom holders are expensive!!!!! Neat display though... how old is your granddaughter?
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool idea and cool coins man! I agree with mgoodm3, you should put some AT in there somehow for comparison image
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    They all look great. Thanks for sharing them with us. image
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    What a beautiful group of coins!image
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Beautiful set STMAN. Glad I could do my part to help.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    Hey -- now that's nice. I love that set. I wish I could do something like that with Peace $. It just wouldn't compare though. She's a very lucky girl to have a grumpy grandpa like you!

Congrats on completing a killer set.

Michael
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Thats the coolest of the coolimageimage
    How long would it take to make another? and you know I have the textiles brotherimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Since impossible to pop an old grumpy geezers ballon...it would seem worth the expense for some custom plastic work using crackout inserts above each.image
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    Absolutely breathtaking! Is textile a type of toning where it actually imprints the object it was toned to on the coin? (I see small dots on the textile toned one). What is monocromatic toning? image

But my favorite is the bank roll toning. Beautiful. The best toned morgan I found was from my grandpa. He had a very unattractive black morgan that had a *hint* of rainbow toning. Not much. The blackness really took the coin down. I've never owned a attractivly toned coin. Just seen 'em! image
  • Options
    I can't quite see those coins well enough. Could you possibly send them......image
  • Options
    Very cool collection. image
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    beautiful coins, man when I grow up I'm gonna.....wait a minute I am grown up, dagumit.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very nice. I never even knew a holder like that was made.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Man, that's a killer set. I love the roll coin. It really is a beautiful display.

BTW - Good thing your granddaughter wasn't into Frankies. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    What can you say but outstanding collection.image
  • Options
    Will you post the reverses, too?
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    Very nice! Would you like to adopt another numismatically interested granddaughter?image
  • Options
    Hey thanks for all the great compliments folks. I didn't expect all this, and figured this thread would just go to the bottom real quick like most of my threads do.image

My Granddaughter is 12 and so far not into boys. So I thought I'd put this together for her and throughly enjoyed doing so. Before doing this I'd never cracked out a coin. I must admit I got good at it and enjoyed freeing these ladies to their new resting place.

Somehow in a display like this grades just don't matter no more. Someone asked about the textile toned piece and yes.... the dots get there by sitting against the mint canvas bag hence.... the weave type appearance. And monochromatic is basically all one color. That Monochromatic orange coin actually has gray textile on the reverse.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Hey those are really nice stman. Not your average hohum toned coins. You picked some cool ones. Your gd is a lucky girl. Keep her interested in morgs and away from those dam boys.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    I like the First coin Best! image

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    Awesome set for a lucky girl! imageimageimageimage

I can't believe I didn't check this thread earlier... I'm glad I didn't miss it!
    You shout in your sleep.
    Perhaps the price is just too steep.
    Is your conscience at rest if once put to the test?
    You awake with a start to just the beating of your heart.
    Just one man beneath the sky,
    Just two ears, just two eyes.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We'd you like to adopt a grandson image.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Awesome!
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    Those are some gorgeous Morgans stman!image
  • Options
    TonekillerTonekiller Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    Very nice set.

Bryan
  • Options
    byergobyergo Posts: 586
    That is breathtaking! Awesome collection, and informative!
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Beautiful set of coins image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450

Excellent!!!

Tom
  • Options
    VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    Great idea for a set. Well done! image
  • Options
    sTONERsTONER Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    beautiful display, take a bow,you should be proud,,,image
    toner loner
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭
    That is very cool STman! How did you go about getting the holder, and what did it run you?I'd love to do something similar.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris
  • Options
    Cool idea and nice execution. It sounds like the important person liked it, too.

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • Options
    STMAN image that is most certainly worth imageimage
    Michael
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Stman--

Let me add my voice to those saying "Wow!"

Beautiful coins, brought together with purpose, by someone with the eye and knowledge.

My compliments. image

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Who says grumpy old guys can't have extremely cool sets?image
  • Options
    Awsome, where can you order one of these Holders.
    Allen
    Love those TONED Coins, a true Addict!!!

Proud member of TCCS!
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Now that is cool image
  • Options
    For those of you asking about the holder, I believe someone mentioned it was a Capital Plastics holder.

You can find information on custom holders from them at: http://www.capitalplastics.com/coins/customholders.htm

You can link to all their different type holders they sell from this page: http://www.capitalplastics.com/coins/index.htm
  • Options
    OK, I know I'm probably the 50th person to chime in on this thread, but I gotta say.... very nice set there!!

Tim
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    <<For those of you asking about the holder, I believe someone mentioned it was a Capital Plastics holder.>>

I don't recall if that particular holder was produced at Capital Plastics or not. I had two batches of holders made, one by Capital Plastics and another by a company in Texas. There were slight differences in the final product.

The Capital Plastics holders were more expensive but were of better overall quality.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    Wow, once again thanks for all the good words on this set. But remember.... it's for my Granddaughter.image

As far as where to find one of these OK, I bought this off GSAGUY. It is indeed the Capital Plastics holder (the more expensive one) so everybody bombard Gsaguy to purchase one of these. And please be sure to say I sent you because he has my address and I'm sure he would want to send me a few commission checks.image

Edit to add... Gsaguy, I've since changed my address so you can PM me for the current one to send checks to me. Thanks, you're a great guy in my book!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file