Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$110 extra per month for coins...

All I have to do is quit smoking. image It's a nice Walker per month that's going up in smoke (pardon the awful pun).

I'm setting a quit date of April 30. Anyone else want to join me?
You shout in your sleep.
Perhaps the price is just too steep.
Is your conscience at rest if once put to the test?
You awake with a start to just the beating of your heart.
Just one man beneath the sky,
Just two ears, just two eyes.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone else want to join me? >>

No.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I do, I have tried for the last two weeks..but have found myself smoking more now that I am trying to quit...nasty habbit it is and hard as hell to stop. I also thought of the coins I was burning just going up in smoke....
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>$110 extra per month for coins... >>

Man, you hardly smoke at all thenimage

Actually, that was one of my motivators. Not coins specifically, but "stuff" in general. Best wishes!
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I have been smoke free for about a year and a half. I started chewing gum to help me quit smoking and I have not saved any money at all- that stupid gum I am now addicted to cost more than the smokes did- I am still glad I quit even though it cut into my coin moneyimage. mike
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    "I'm setting a quit date of April 30."

Why not set a quit date of April 19, 2004? Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today. That last cancer stick could be the difference between cancer and cancer free. Not trying to preach but when you decide to stop it must be cold turkey and planning to stop in x number of days/weeks usually does not work.

Get the pair of sissors out and cut the pack in half and force yourself not to buy any more.

Jim
  • Options
    XpipedreamR, you have to remember most of the world does not pay the taxes we in Chicago pay on a pack of smokes....
  • Options
    It's a pack a day at around $3.50/pack.

I'm planning on buying a decent coin for around $100 at the end of May. If I can follow through with the "quit", that is. I'll post a picture the day I buy it.

That's enough motivation for me!
    You shout in your sleep.
  • Options

<< <i>Gat the pair of sissors out and cut the pack in half >>

What about the eight cartons on the shelf?

<< <i>It's a pack a day at around $3.50/pack. >>

That's the problem! I smoke three packs a day, and spend less than that.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Lots of ways to save money.

Never go out to eat.
    Drink only tap water.
    Cancel your internet provider.
    Only use free tv.
    Use public transportation or get someone to take you where you need to go.
  • Options
    Cheapest smokes in Chicago are $5.50....
  • Options

<< <i>What about the eight cartons on the shelf? >>

You shout in your sleep.
  • Options
    Unimental,

I buy them a bunch at a time; $10.50 a carton.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭

<< <i>It's a pack a day at around $3.50/pack. >>

Very cheap, NJ is anywhere from $5.00 to $5.75. In Atlantic City, it was $8.00 a pack...image
  • Options

<< <i>XpipedreamR, you have to remember most of the world does not pay the taxes we in Chicago pay on a pack of smokes.... >>

Yes...very true. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about that anymore!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All kidding aside, if you can quit, don't delay--QUIT!

I promised myself that I'll never smoke, and I intend to keep it that way (I'm 17, btw). Do whatever it takes, as your health is worth a whole lot more than the pleasure of a cigarette...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    My husband has now been smoke free for 3 years on March 8. We even have pictures of the last cigarette in the ashtray. image

Congrats to all who have quit and much luck to all who will try.
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    Unimental,

Instead of cutting packs in half, just send them to me.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    Maybe focusing on the reward (the $100 Walker every month) will be carrot enough to help. Good luck! We'll be pulling for you.

WH
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I will quit with you if you will send me the coin you buy with your savings................
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    I had my last cigarette on new year's of 1995. I was 18. I started around 14 and smoked pretty heavily for those 4 years. I only quit because I knew I would be a customer for life if I didn't. I absolute LOVED smoking. I just knew how addicted I already was so I tossed em' out. Cold turkey and NO cheating is was the only way for me. My friends that didn't quit when I did, already have nicotine stained voices and their only around 27 or so. image

• Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    You want to give up being a stinky "Lunger" only to buy really cool coins? Why would you want to do that? (We ex-smokers can be brutal).
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unimetal-

We are pulling for you. Good luck.
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's the problem! I smoke three packs a day, and spend less than that. >>

HOLY CRAP RUSS!Now I don't feel so bad about my pack a day.image
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I would be MORE than happy to join you. However, I don't smoke, so can you please send me the extra $110/month so I can join in on the fun? LOL!

Seriously, good luck in this endeavor!

I am a Registered Nurse and would like all you smokers to come spend a week watching my patients struggle to breath after a lifetime of cigarettes! Or struggle with the pain of cancer!

(OK, maybe not all of you. I'd like to get my greedy little hands on some of your coins when your widows sell your coins at face value!)
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I hate it when I get a package of coins in the mail, open it up, and it smells like smoke. It is a ridiculously nasty thing to do.
  • Options

<< <i>I hate it when I get a package of coins in the mail, open it up, and it smells like smoke. It is a ridiculously nasty thing to do. >>

I haven't had that with coins or currency.. yet *knocks on wood*, but I did get 3 or 4 1/18 diecast cars that smelled like the person smoked cigars right over them image
  • Options
    I quit cold turkey on Jan 8th this year after 32 years of smoking. If I can do it anyone that really wants to stop can do it.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I hate it when I get a package of coins in the mail, open it up, and it smells like smoke. It is a ridiculously nasty thing to do.

Smoke smell doesn't last that long sorry. Blame your local postman.

• Options
    I quit for the last time about 15 years ago. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever done. It took a long time for me to stop thinking about having one.
  • Options
    It's been over 4 years for me.

The only thing that really helped, was that my friend quit with me and there was no school stress!

What would we do without support?
    Honesty is the Best Policy!
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I smoke 2 packs a day @ $4.50-$5.00 thats almost 300.00 a month a VF+ bust monthly.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    I'll join you - I made a promise to the better half that I would quit by our daughter's birthday this year (June 4) and I will keep that promise. PM me if you want to....
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    Best rule of thumb is that you should NOT smoke anything that won't smoke you back...image
    Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...
  • Options
    I smoked occasionally in college, but never got hooked. Best of luck to you, and I hope you are successful! If cold turkey doesn't work for you, try decreasing the number of cigarettes you smoke each day/week until you can completely stop. Set a schedule and stick to it. I hope you can quit!! Think of all that extra coin money!!!

$110 per month for a year = $1,320
    $1,320 per year for 10 years = $13,200 (Buy yourself a new car)
    $13,200 per decade for 3 decades = $39,600

And that's excluding inflation.

Best of luck, your health, your wallet, and your collection will thank you for it!!
    Tim
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Smokers are my best customers.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I didn't expect this thread to get as big as it has. Thanks to all for your input.

Last night before bed, I put a nice big beer mug (empty) on my dresser, and this morning dropped $4 in it from my wallet for the smokes I would have bought today (screw the 4/30 date). I'm taking whatever is in that mug to a local coin show next month and spending every penny on coins that will have a special place in my collection as "coins I didn't smoke".

That's my motivation!

ccrdragon... I'm with ya!
    You shout in your sleep.
  • Options
    That's great. Use any edge you can give yourself.

Have you considered any nicotine replacement products? They can be quite helpful in the beginning of the process.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

finished my last cig in time for Y2K: 11:47pm 12/31/99

smoked 10pks a week for 12.5 years. Like you, I set a date, but I started cutting down a few weeks prior to New Years, I then went on the patch a few day prior to the official start date. I think this little head start helped tremendously.

you wouldn't believe how much more energy and motivation you'll have after kicking that habit. You truly feel like a new person.

helpful tips:
    1. use the patch--stick with the program (use every day! sleep with it on!), even through level 3
    2. try to stay out of bars for the first 2 weeks
    3. if you don't already work out, try riding the exercise bike every other day, or possibly try outdoor activities--hiking is great, especially uphill.
    4. do not even drag off of someone else's cig.
    5. mark the days you don't smoke on a calendar in a big red X and number the days.
    6. I never smoked another cig after my quit date, but if you do, you'll realize it wasn't worth it, and climb back on that horse.

The toughest part is the first 2 weeks. on this anniversary I went to a bar, drained a twelver, and didn't smoke a cig---major milestone. It's at about this time that cig smoke starts smelling like sheite, but the mental craving is still nagging. But you won't want to ruin your consecutive day total without a cig.

It really just takes 2 weeks, after that it's downhill. During the first 2 weeks, you'll think about how long it's been since your last cig about every minute--you constantly think about it. Minutes turn to hours. Then you'll start thinking about it less. After a month or so you may go a day or two without thinking about it. I didn't feel totally "out of the woods" till 5 months passed, but the war was the first couple weeks with a few battles till the 45 day mark. PM me if you need any other advice/support. If I can do it, piece of cake for you---i've a very addictive nature.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RonManRonMan Posts: 449
    Hows it going Unimental & ccrdragon??

I'm about to try again for the third time...its tough to do.

Good luck
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All I have to do is quit smoking. image It's a nice Walker per month that's going up in smoke (pardon the awful pun).

I'm setting a quit date of April 30. Anyone else want to join me? >>

Good for you man. At 1 1/2 packs a day that's a couple grand a year. Plus the savings on health insurance after I think a year or two. Plus the savings on a cardiologist.

I just caught this thread. Did you stop on the 30th? I'm going to set a date too but it's already May 2. Hmmmm.

How about forcing yourself to take the money out of your pocket and putting it in a jar labeled "cigarette money" ( A clear Jar so you can see it) ?

If you stopped, then best of luck to you and at about this time you're probably in a different state of mind. Hang in there!!!!

Rgrds
    Tom P image
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hate it when I get a package of coins in the mail, open it up, and it smells like smoke. It is a ridiculously nasty thing to do.

Smoke smell doesn't last that long sorry. Blame your local postman. >>

it sure does

1. i KNOW my postman doesn't smoke
    2. the OUTSIDE doesn't stink
    3. the INSIDE does

I got a package 5 days ago like this.

tom

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    Unimental good luck how's it going?

I quit for the last time Christmas of 1999. I could not wait until New Years Eve.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

<< <i>I just caught this thread. Did you stop on the 30th? I'm going to set a date too but it's already May 2. Hmmmm.

How about forcing yourself to take the money out of your pocket and putting it in a jar labeled "cigarette money" ( A clear Jar so you can see it) ?

If you stopped, then best of luck to you and at about this time you're probably in a different state of mind. Hang in there!!!! >>

Actually, I ran out of smokes on the 29th, so I've been "clean" for the past few days. Earlier in the week, I put a down payment on a nice 1927 Double Eagle at my dealer's shop and am using my cigarette money over the next 5 months to pay it off. It's great motivation!

I will post a pic of the coin once it's paid off and in hand. Needless to say it will be one of the most important coins in my collection.
    You shout in your sleep.
  • Options
    Good work!

I have a friend that quit smoking last week, and he is being a real pain in the ass.

Are you being a pain in the ass?

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Wow that's great Brian.

We're getting a jar and a label. I have to set a date.

Good for you!

All the best
    Tom Pimage
  • Options

<< <i>I have a friend that quit smoking last week, and he is being a real pain in the ass.

Are you being a pain in the ass? >>

NO! What the heck is THAT supposed to mean? Eh? I'll give you a pain in the.... image

Truthfully, I've been a bit "on edge" since Saturday morning. I think it's because I can smell things again.
    You shout in your sleep.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hate it when I get a package of coins in the mail, open it up, and it smells like smoke. It is a ridiculously nasty thing to do. >>

Speaking if stinky money. There's a gas station that we go to that we have gotten one bill that smelled so strong of smoke we spent it elsewhere immediately. And then to add insult to injury we got another bill at the same station that smelled strongly of cow manure. Stunk up the whole car.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I was over a 2 pack a day man and quit. It was the hardest thing In my life I ever did but I was determined and I made it. And my brother-in-law came to visit, on leave from the air force the second week and he smoked. BUT I MADE IT.

Kinda like you I was motivated bercause I wanted to buy a 1931D dime for my circulated set. I did to with the savings from my first 5 days on not smoking. Cigarretes were 35 cents a pack. I didn't buy by the carton because I would smoke more if I did.

I started when i was 12 and quit when I was 28. April 2, 1969.

You can do it!

Just remember one very IMPORTANT thing. NEVER, EVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF! And I mean that. You cannot say I am going to just have a puff. IT WON'T WORK. Even 3 years later IT WON'T work.

Good Luck

Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file