Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Slightly off-topic. The works of St. Gaudens...

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
We all know he was the man behind two of the most beautiful circulating US coin designs: the $10 Indian and the $20, uhh, well, St. Gaudens.

But here are a couple of his other works:

Plaster model for a one cent coin, circa 1905. Looks more than a little like De Francisci's Peace design, no?

Probably his most famous non-coin design. The Shaw memorial:

Detail:

And my personal favorite, the Adams memorial (Rock Creek cemetary, Washington D.C.)

Augustus St. Gaudens National Historic Site, Cornish, NH
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will forever be indebted to Augustus Saint Gaudens for designing the $20 Saint, the several of which I have purchased have provided me with many hours of wonderful numismatic enjoyment.

It is truly one of the most beautiful coins ever minted...

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    imageimage

*sigh*
    *swoon*
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    It looks as if someone went to Cornish recently.

Great trip. Highly recommed it.

Breath-taking.

njcoincrank
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    This isn't off topic at all. If a thread like this doesn't belong here nothing does.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Truly magnificent work.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Next time in the NH area I will definitely check it out.

<< <i>Plaster model for a one cent coin, circa 1905. Looks more than a little like De Francisci's Peace design, no? >>

Wow, very similar.image Always heard De Francisici used his wife as his model. Maybe St Gaudens dated his wife's mother.image
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    For those that never saw the Civil War movie "Glory" there were some really nice close ups of the Robert Shaw Memorial in the credits at the end of the movie.
    Also was great CW movie may I add.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    A copy of the Saint-Gaudens portrait bust known as "Nike Erini" (Victory Peace) was loaned to de Francisci by Jim Fraser so that deFrancisci could improve the Liberty portrait on his Peace dollar design. S-G had used the same portrait on his one-cent design of 1906, both without and with Indian headdress. The headdress version was assigned to the $10 gold coin by Rooosevelt in May 1907, and S-G's cent was scrapped. See: RAC 1905-1908 Chapter 3 and also pp.209-216.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Gaudens also designed the obverse of this 1893 Colubuus

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't there a statue in New York Central Park that he did that was the model for Miss Liberty on the Saint? image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    His work is incredible. While I admire the design, I have some how gotten tired of the double eagle with one exception. I will never get tired of the high relief version. I believe this is what Gaudens may have envisioned and may be disappointed with the flatness of the low relief in comparison.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file