Home U.S. Coin Forum

LICENSING COLLECTORS AND INVESTORS

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
It seems to me that we could eliminate many of our TPG problems if we insisted that all collectors and investors be trained and licensed before they be allowed to buy coins. I don't know that the government would back us up on this, but the ANA and PNG could certainly insist that its dealers only sell to licensed buyers. What do you think? image
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty good, Andy... How much for a license? image
  • 1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    PLEASE tell me that you are joking!
  • I think Buyers, Sellers, AND Graders should be certified. image

• BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    I WANT CERTIFICATION!
  • Yep. Make them learn about what they are buying and not blame it on the grading services when they get 50% bodybags.

Cameron Kiefer
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Many believe we are already certified - - - - - insane.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • seems that local revenue starved cities and or states could asses collectors a fee for purchases . buyers would not have recourse to sellers . Also , there can be different levels , such as state quarters and nickels , modern commems , proof & mint sets , bullion , private mint , foreign , 20 th century type , 19 th century type , and gold . Each level commands more knowledge and of course a higher licensing fee with each step . then , they could graduate with an ABCD degree . ( Americas Best Coin Dealers )
    Home of quality widgets
  • Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    This board is my license. If I were about to buy something that I think is a bit shady I would certainly come here before I purchased it. Experience will always top a license.

PURPLE!
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Great idea. Since I'm not licensed I'll save a lot of money I'd otherwise waste on this foolishness.

Ray
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    i have the ez-est solution of all. if this whole coin-collecting thingee is just too danged difficult to grasp....

COLLECT SOMETHING ELSE

does it really need to be more complicated than that?

K S
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Yes go collect Art.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i have the ez-est solution of all. if this whole coin-collecting thingee is just too danged difficult to grasp....

COLLECT SOMETHING ELSE

does it really need to be more complicated than that?

K S >>

Sort of TRUE about everything Collectable isn't it ? Cars, Cards, Salt & Pepper Shakers, Beanie Babies, same old thing over and over.

The solution is that if you can't be happy with any collectable just Plain Quit Collecting.

Ken
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Sorry. Do we really need more government intervention or third party control over our lives? What's next, a license if you want to work at a fast-food joint or any occupation? A license if you want to buy a car or a house? A license certifying you are smart enough -- or not -- if you want a higher education? We're bordering on infringement of personal liberties in this dangerous area. No thanks, I'll pass ...
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    bingo fairlaneman.

K S
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like drivers liscenses - many are incompetent even with it. Collectors/dealers are no different.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭
    Educating collectors should be the goal.

But even there we would have as many if not more disagreements than grading.

IMO investing and coins should not be in the same sentence. Again, my opinion, others would disagree. Many would warn collectors against the high prices of Moderns while others would disagree. As well as disagreemants over what is considered collectible or worth collecting.

To each their own and unfortunately also buyer beware.

Joe.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm laughing!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Andy - You REALLY are bored !!!!!

Stewart
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    Watch out what you wish for; you might just get it.

The LAST thing any of us wants (dealers, collectors and other new-miz-matist types) is a bunch of licensing regulations. I do support some sort of voluntary grading policing done by the priestly class among us with a soft and professional touch, but, give me a break on the rest. I have made my living representing clients for nigh on 30 years, many of whom have problems with the Government (you know, 'trust me, I'm from the Gov'mint?'). You don't want this hobby regulated by the 50 states, cities, counties and the federal system.

Leave well enough alone!
    DSW
  • If I got say a mercury or wheat cent in change would I have to turn myself in for reeducation?
    Scott M

Everything is linear if plotted log-log with a fat magic marker
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would difinitely keep the riff-raff out of the neighborhood. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would difinitely keep the riff-raff out of the neighborhood. image >>

Even better, it would drive the riff raff right into circulating coinage.image
    Tempus fugit.
  • chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Mail order certification by the A-See-Gee School of Grading? image
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • We all do have a license that we use every time we buy or sell....its' called money....."this note is legal tender for all debts public and private". It is how we choose to use this license (correctly or incorrectly) that is the problem.
  • It would never work. Most dealers would require two to three people to hold them down to get the collar on and most collectors would roam free for months before being branded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file