Home U.S. Coin Forum

Twenty-cent piece errors

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello folks-

If any of you have twenty-cent piece errors in your collection, I would be grateful if you would let me know (PM is fine, if you prefer). I am working on an article and would like to find some more examples. As you might imagine, this is a very difficult series in which to find pieces. Thanks!

Lane

P.S. I am looking for errors, not varieties such as the "$" mintmark or misplaced dates . . . thanks again.
Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the 1875-S comes with rotated dies sometimes, but I suspect you knew that already.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, the 1875-S comes with rotated dies sometimes, but I suspect you knew that already. >>

Yep, thanks. They are not THAT rare, but are a bit tougher to find.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know of a broadstruck 1875-S and a clipped 1875-CC, but I don't own either (I wish I owned the CC...), nor do I have ready access to pictures. If it would help you I can forward your info to the current owners, just PM me with your email and I'll send it along. You might also want to drop a note to Fred Weinberg, he's been around long enough to have seen a couple and he's usually very happy to help out with information.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Sean. I will send you a PM.

I know Fred, in fact I picked up a twenty-cent error from him a couple of years ago. I just spoke with him in Portland and he did not have any additional errors at the time.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen picturs of pieces that were struck off-center, but they are as rare as hen's teeth.

The twenty cent mintage was low, and the coins were just big enough (unlike cents, half dimes and dimes) to be spotted just before they left the mint. As a result MAJOR twenty cent errors are rare.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Does anyone have a picture they could post here and share with us? I've never seen a 20 cent error piece before.

Cameron Kiefer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file