Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions on this $3 Gold

Considering submitting this one. It looks very nice, but I am not sure if it would get anything over AU.
It has nice luster, but appears slightly worn on the hair under the headress. Hope these images are enough.
John
Check out my coin site
myurl

Comments

• What's wrong with an AU grade? Nice coin.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Very nice coin. Nothing wrong with AU. image

Hey John......stick a little "D" on that sucker and it will bring over $25,000 in AUimage
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the scan, I'd guess MS 62.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    AU-55

TP image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with the fat man. Nothin' wrong with AU (and I would call it AU55, personally, with a shot at 58). Boy-o-boy, that little "D" would be somethin', eh? Well, heck, a $3 piece is impressive in ANY grade, and that is an especially attractive one to my eyes.

Here's the only one I've ever had- it's on my Holey Gold Hat. image

imageimage

There, now. I just made yours look a helluva lot nicer, eh?

Mine would frighten small children (the cat just arched her back at it), but I love it anyway. Nice hat piece. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Thanks guys. Problem is, if I slab it, the wife will want me to sell it.image

I think I will just keep it as is.
    John
    Check out my coin site
    myurl
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice luster, good detail, I do not see the wear. I would grade it at 61 or 62. Doubt AU. Stick an "O" on it, and sell it to me for the price of an AU 54-P.image
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    If you just bought it I would play it safe and certify it just to make sure it's real. mike
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Here is one pcgs graded 64 to compare with. Link
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin looks to be genuine.

Today nice AU three dollar gold coins get into MS-61 and 62 holders. One has to buy AT LEAST an MS-63 graded coin to get a Mint State coin. I'd say that this piece has a decent chance of getting into a low end MS holder.

Hey, I don't set the grading rules; I just have live with them. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • That one looks nicer than mine which is in a 61 holder.
  • Wow! Thanks for all the info. I guess it does have a shot at an MS holder. While not as nice as that MS64, it is not too far off.
    John
    Check out my coin site
    myurl
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm beginning to think that AU is preferable to 61 or 62

Jeez, I am ALMOST of the opinion that a HOLE is better than a 61 or 62.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one is in an ANACS 62PL holder. Who said Anacs cant grade?image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file