Home U.S. Coin Forum

NGC vs PCGS in peace dollars.

I've got a few peace dollars in older PCGS holders, and a few in newer pcgs holders. Do you think on average NGC would give a point higher? Some of them, like the 34-S have HUGE spreads for a point, granted im sure there's an NGC discount, but im in the process of cleaning the collection out a bit to make room for some other stuff. Whats everyone think?

Comments

• I think they are very close on grading in the Peace dollar series. All depends on the coin.

Cameron Kiefer
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    The short answer is no. Anyone that tells you that NGC grades a point higher either has money invested in a PCGS registry set and wants to continue the myth to protect their investment or just simply doesn't know any better. If they graded a point higher in any series the so called experts would already be cracking out their coins and cashing in.
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    ALWAYS BUY PCGS ! unless you want to sell at a discount when that time comes.
    We just sold an 89cc in NGC on Ebay for 4600.00 in au50..
    same coin in a PCGS holer is over 6k...
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    I don't think there is a big difference between PCGS and NGC on Peace dollars either. However, early on when the services first started, I think NGC was tougher than PCGS on Peace dollars. I've crossed early NGC coins to PCGS and received a bump in grade, and this crosing was in the mid 90's.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a PCGS peace dollar is a borderline upgrade, a trip to NGC will be in the cards.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • I've generally seen Peace Dollars in PCGS holders sell for a little more than NGC. I really don't care who graded the coin, (pcgs,ngc,anacs) as long as it makes the grade and has the eye appeal.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone looking for ms65 34s Peace dollars should beware of any in NGC holders. Because PutTogether is looking to slide by some 64's with hope of getting some low end 65's on the market.
    imageimage Thanks for letting us all know.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • zennyzenny Posts: 1,547 ✭✭

<< <i>... Do you think on average NGC would give a point higher? >>

if you put it that way, no.
  • NGC maybe a little looser, but really can go wrong with one. I'd say they grade between 1/4 to 1/3 point higher. The squeakers get the next grade.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to Morgan and Peace dollars, I would not rate one service ahead of the other. I've seen conservatively graded coins in both holders, and I've seen overgraded coins in both holders. Just because you send a coin to NGC does not mean that it will be upgraded. You could get lucky or you could end up with the same or lower grade.

As for the better dates, at least in the Mint State grades, the graders in both services are well aware of the spreads from grade to another. As a result they have a strong incentives NOT to push a coin into the next higher grade when it means hundreds or thousands of dollars.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • I always look at it this way....

If I'm buying a coin say less than $ 500, I'll purchase it in either slab. If it's over $ 500, I try to go PCGS only as very high dollar Peace $ in NGC slabs are a difficult purchase. You have to know what you are buying and if it's truely at the grade on the slab. For purchases over $ 500, you really have to buy a coin in a NGC holder that is undergraded in my opinion for it to cross......
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always look at it this way....

If I'm buying a coin say less than $ 500, I'll purchase it in either slab. If it's over $ 500, I try to go PCGS only as very high dollar Peace $ in NGC slabs are a difficult purchase. You have to know what you are buying and if it's truely at the grade on the slab. For purchases over $ 500, you really have to buy a coin in a NGC holder that is undergraded in my opinion for it to cross...... >>

As a dealer, I'll tell you that it does not make any difference whether its a PCGS or an NGC slab, it's the COIN that matters. I've sold 1893-S and 1895-P dollars in NGC slabs for premium level, 5-figure prices. So far as I'm concerned cross-overs between PCGS and NGC are a waste of money. AND as to how the cross-overs went, I've seen PCGS refuse to cross NGC and I've seen NGC refuse to cross PCGS. The most extreme case I heard was where a collector wanted to cross a Pan-Pac $50 gold slug from PCGS to NGC to make his set look uniform. NGC won't cross it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file