Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Hits 9,000,000... that's a big number

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I bet it was done on time also!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't THAT long ago that they hit 8 million; no wonder they are months behind.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    They said the 9 million coins are worth 11 Billion. That's an average of $1200 per coin. that's higher than I would have thought.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    as for the average.........3 and 4 million dollar coins go a long way toward bumping the average up.

I wonder how many of those nine million are actual coins, and not resubmits.......too bad there is no way to tell.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I've noticed how each of these milestone slabs tend to be really cool coins. I wonder if the real 9,000,000th slab was a 2003 DCAM state quarter.
  • Options

<< <i>. I wonder if the real 9,000,000th slab was a 2003 DCAM state quarter. >>

If it was I would trust they would slab it as such. If you can't trust them on this, then how can you trust them from switching coins etc.?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    If you exclude the moderns, I wonder how many different coins have been graded? Or, said another way, what is the average number of times the same coin has been cracked out and resubmitted?

(edited for typo)
  • Options
    Probably hit 10,000,000 with the advent of the new nickel that would cost someone $27.05 to have it gradedimage
    God I Love Indian Head Cents more than any other coin!
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Cameron, all it would take is creatively arranging the incoming submissions when it gets close to a milestone to guarantee it be a certain type of coin. It is something I see many companies do. I don't think it's a big deal, but I do wonder what it "might have been." Of course, the possibility could be that each of them is genuinely next in line, but I suspect that it might be a little skewed.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nwcs,

I was thinking along the same line. I bet anything they make sure the milestone coin is a notable one. Can you imagine if the 9,000,000th coin would have been Madmarty's au-58 franklin or even worse a Braddick Ag-03 type coin.

jim
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    With all the coins that go to PCGS for grading, do you think they pick and choose coins for their 8,000,000 and 9,000,000 coins. Or is just simply the luck of the draw?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    does anyone know what their 8,000,000th coin was?
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't 8,000,000 an MS67FH Type 1 SLQ?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    For comparison wonder how many the other grading companies have done? For the less popular ones they probably wouldn't even truthfully inform as embarrassing/damaging in their line of workimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, they definitely pick a whopper coin for the big even number milestones.....just would look right with a MS61 Kennedy or something.....
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    I take it that does not include the 1 million coins awaiting grading? image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Congrats to HRH and the rest of the PCGS gang. image

Just think, if they had enough graders they could have reached this milestone two months ago.image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At 5% overgraded and 5% undergraded that means that there are around 900,000 coins in PCGS slabs that are graded wrong.
    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file