Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions Sought On This Grant

WWWWWW Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭
The is one of two Commemoratives that I got in the mail today that are in older style NGC holders.
This Grant is in a NGC MS64. Do you agree with the grade or should I crack it out for a shot 65?
If I did that, should I dip it or leave it the way it is? Thank you.

image
image

Comments

  • Options
    Don't dip it! What a cool coin. Grants don't come with color very often.

    I think it's an amazing coin--if you dip it (and I don't think it would dip well) you've got another dull, colorless Grant.

    Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting toning. I wouldn't consider that spectacular toning, but I think it is kind of cool. I agree with Clankeye. Don't dip it.
  • Options
    Beautiful Grant.............Break out well we all know it's a crap shoot..How big is the value change from 64-65? enough to crack it?
    Bill.

    Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options
    Also-- you might want to get it out of an old NGC holder because of the interaction with the paper insert. The toning is great, but I think you don't want it going much further.

    So you could send it in for an regrade, and it would be reholdered. Whether it would 65 or not, I don't know. If you crack it out completely you risk the fickle fate of whether they judge a coin AT on any given day.

    I would at least get it reholdered. I like the coin.

    Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Of course, you can't tell from a pic, but I think that NGC is generally a little loose on the commems, especially toned commems, so if they say it's a 64 that's probably as good as it's going to get. But who knows.

    I agree with Clankeye on the dipping option.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately that heavy toning is butt-ugly to me. The only thing uglier, however, would be trying to dip it. Leave it be.

    As for any reaction with the insert in the holder it's in, very unlikely that coin's going to change any from its current, lifeless appearance.
  • Options
    Beutiful toning,don't dip it.According to the PCGS priceguide there is a big difference between 64 and 65, it goes from $275 to $1000.But their priceguide is overpriced and is probably not worth what they say it is but I would crack it out and submit it for hopes of 65.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    like your other coin, i think this is a remarkably original specimen that must not be messed with. actually it's not very pretty, but is very attractive for it's originality.

    K S
  • Options
    crack and don't dip. NGC might 65 it, but i don't think PCGS would look favorably on the toning
  • Options
    I wouldn't dip it, it is not a good dipping canidate. It would come out very dull. The color it has gives it some life.
  • Options


    << <i>actually it's not very pretty >>



    I like that you guys don't like coins that I like. image
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool Grant. I like those deep, authentic colors. It probably won't GEM due to subdued luster.
    But, that's ok- wonderful, wholesome coin regardless.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey W

    the tone might not be the most colorful, but it seems to give the design depth and probably hides a bit of obverse strike weakness. it is probably too heavy to be removed by anything aside of a heavy dipping which would strip it of any luster and result in a BB as opposed to an upgrade. Carl's suggestion seems the most sound.

    al h.image
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭
    Send the Grant to me. I'm looking for one with cool toning on the trees. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

    We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I like this one too. My wife would say it looks dirty... go figure!

    image
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for replying to my post(s). This place is great for numismatic newbies like me.
    Since I paid MS63 bid money for this Grant and the luster looks a lot better than I was
    able to portray, I'm going to take a chance and crack this one out and resubmit it.
    Wish me luck, as I'll need it, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Right?

    Now can someone tell me how to crack out the coins from these thick,
    no bar code style NGC slabs? image I'm off to the garage to get me a hammer!

    BTW: The same goes for this Bay Bridge as I also paid MS 63 bid for it
    and it's really a sharp looking coin for a MS64.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file