Home U.S. Coin Forum

War Nickel Collectors, show your favorites!

nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
I finally managed to get a picture of this coin which almost shows how beautiful it is. It was given to me by a very generous board member. It ain't going anywhere, it's in the permanent collection. image So show yours, toned or not!

Here is a lamination error I found that I really like. Snapped this up for less than a dollar as I recall.

Comments

• I would have to say this is my favorite war nickel. It is a PR-66 that was a Christmas gift from my father two years ago.image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would have to say this is my favorite war nickel. It is a PR-66 that was a Christmas gift from my father two years ago.image
    image >>

Good for you! I think that the Proof war nickel is most underrated modern type coin going. Really attractive examples are not that easy to find, and the grade on the slab is not always an indicator of eye appeal.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • I don't dabble in Nickels, but my daughter does... She wanted to collect something that I don't... image
    (My daughter's Jeffersons)

Since she is 9, I wanted to give her the thrill of chasing for coins that she wants/needs. The War Nickels are the only ones that I have purchased for her, the rest have come out of my pocket change and that of her mother's. I've also had her working on grading what she does have. "Is the coin in her hand better than the one in the album?" Asking her to show my why and then showing her what I see. Once we've done that, we compare it to the Red Book's grading guidelines to come up with a grade.

She now has 92 (out of 147) in her Jefferson set with a jar of Nickels yet to go through.

One of these days, she will discover the desire to collect certified coins... Hopefully, she will have a job by then... image

Matt
  • Nice Jefferson Nickels folks!!! I like them all.

Here is an old favorite of mine:

• My favorite....I dug this one up this past fall. Came out in great shape....usually they get dark discoloration streaks. Just a bummer about the laminations....reminds me of a zinc cent!
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Anyone else got any war nickels?

Cameron Kiefer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file