Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'M SICK AND TIRED OF ALL THE FUGIO WHINING - THIS MEANS YOU TOO DORKKARL!

PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭
I’m sick and tired of listening to all the whining and complaining about Fugio Cents on this forum! Fugio cents are OLD, when you get old you don’t look so good – you should see me, I’m old and I look awful. Fugios are almost four times older than me, they should look positively TERRIBLE. But you guys, like Dorkkarl just won’t let up on complaining about the appearance of a certain Fugio cent up for sale (no, I’m NOT the seller, I‘ve never sold a Fugio, only owned one and it is here for you all to see).

Well, I have a proposal for all you whiners, wimps and sissies complaining about Fugios' appearance. BUY MINE NOW!

Yes, my Fugio is a real macho man’s Fugio, a Fugio for the he-man collector who knows that most Fugios have seen a lot of history and been through some really rough times. I took my Fugio to Greece, sought out the fabled Medusa, who is so ugly that if you look at her, she will turn you to stone. Using an elaborate system of mirrors and, sadly, mourning the loss of my translator who “looked”, Medusa looked at my Fugio and turned to stone!

So, if any of you guys complaining about the looks of Fugios have any guts, I dare you - double dare you - to purchase my Fugio. It has NOT been unnaturally oiled, cooked, or played with. All if its wear is NATURAL. Eight years – count them – eight, in a tannery. Buried for 43 years in a dung pile on a New England dairy farm. Six years left in a sock full of Fugios used by Caribbean pirates as a weapon – and those pirates had really smelly socks. 112 years at the bottom of the East River in Harlem – the corrosion and porosity on my Fugio is 100% natural – no artificial toning here – who needs AT when you can have the real thing. THIS COIN IS UNIQUE – NO OTHER FUGIO IN THE UNIVERSE HAS HAD THE EXACT SAME HISTORY – NONE!

For only 24 hours I am offering this UNIQUE piece of American History (if you don’t buy it you are an unpatriotic, un-American scumbag) for only $1234.00 plus $67 NON-INSURED S&H or $98.73 for INSURED S&H.

So all Fugio cowards – chronic Fugio complainers – put your money where you mouth (or mouse) is and buy this UNIQUE, 100% natural, organically aged Fugio. NO PLASTIC TOMB TO RUIN ITS NATURAL APPEARANCE.

I accept only bank-wired funds and USPS money orders. Absolutely NO RETURNS- NEVER – EVER; I DON'T SELL MY GEMS TO WIMPS!

Coin includes a Certificate of Authenticity with a real “golden seal” and a small rock chiseled from Medusa who turned to stone

Stop whining about Fugios (this means you too, Dorkkarl) and buy it now, or eat your cowardly hearts out for the next 200 years.

NOTE - THE REVERSE HAS A LARGER DIAMETER THAN THE OBVERSE image

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Wow, Thats one scarey looking Fugio cent. image
  • Options
    That Fugio looks like it lost a fight with a Maine coon catimage
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Excellent post, Pushkin. image

I realize you didn't mention anything about an auction, but I will still start the bidding at $1 (though I wont pay for shipping if I win it).image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    That's sweet, you should slab it. That other one's looking better and better.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I will double Coinfellow's bid for that rainbow toned monster stunner.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I actually think that I can make out the date at about 2:00 on the left side photo (1787?) image

I'll double Clankeye's 2 cent bid to 4 cents (you provide postage). That's probably over copper melt value! image

Oh - He bid $2 -- I guess I'm out of this auction -- It's too rich for me! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options

I deeply regret that the coin looks better than the photo shows. The date (sadly) is very clear, and "MIND YO" of "MIND YOUR BUSINESS" is clearly visible. "WE and R and ON" of "WE ARE ONE" is also clear. Some nice, very pretty sea-green verdigris enhances the obverse detail. The nicks and dents on the rim are from where the pirate's sock full of Fugios hit the victims on their heads. image

• Options
    Never buy RAW coins. PCGS only for me, thank you.

FanofModerns
  • Options

<< <i>The nicks and dents on the rim are from where the pirate's sock full of Fugios hit the victims on their heads. >>

LOL--I love it.

You should be writing auction descriptions for Heritage.

Clankeye
  • Options
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << The nicks and dents on the rim are from where the pirate's sock full of Fugios hit the victims on their heads. >>

Pushkin: Would you therefore designate the marks as sockmarks or head-banger marks ? image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    OH YEAH??? YOU FEELING LUCKY, PUNK??? image

hey pushkin, that is the first time i have ever seen a fugio struck on a tootsie-roll planchet. amazing that it was struck through camel turds as well. didn't know they could grow penicillin on dung!

K S
  • Options

<< <i>Would you therefore designate the marks as sockmarks or head-banger marks ? >>

I believe the appropriate appellation is "sock lines" and "head-banger rim nicks". ANACS refused to give an attribution for the odor, so I told them to take their cheap, scratched-up "modern" plastic and stick it in the oven. image
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    I grade that O most funky Fugio as a -45 that is AAAAG-VF on the reverse-Sheldon scale of death coins.

It looks like a kidney stone somebody passed.
    DSW
  • Options

<< <i>hey pushkin, that is the first time i have ever seen a fugio struck on a tootsie-roll planchet. amazing that it was struck through camel turds as well. didn't know they could grow penicillin on dung! >>

Talk is cheap Dorkkarl - put up some green stuff - and I don't mean verdigris - or go back to plastic coffin bashing. image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Fugios were made under primitive conditions by people who really just wanted to “get the product out the door.” At the time they probably knew that they were making underweight coins that were not legal, and the beauty was the last thing on their minds. Many of Fugios have planchet marks and fissures, badly clashed and otherwise damaged dies PLUS the effects that the atmosphere can cause on a copper coin over a 210+ year period.

Today a Bank of New York hoard R&B Unc. Fugio is going to cost you $4 grand. If you are a collector who does not have $4 grand, or you don’t want $4 grand in a Fugio, the coin that started the first thread on this series of posts is a viable option. You can pick at it all you want, but you can pick on virtually any 200 year old American copper coin if you want. None of them are perfect. There’s nothing wrong with buying a coin with defects if the price is adjusted for the problems.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Of course of you don't like Pushkin's coin you can always jump at this. Note the -- "To introduce you to our services, we are offering this numismatic item on eBay this one time only with the minimum price at wholesale levels. Bid early to take advantage of this tremendous savings from the world's largest coin dealer and auctioneer."

This coin was lot 232 of Stack's Ford sale where it opened at $500 and sold for $6k. It was catalogued as choice XF and at lot viewing I graded the coin VF 35 noting 'dark crud in reverse rings.' Now you can buy it 'wholesale' for $14,000!!linkd
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but this coin virtually screams out, "Modern Copy!"
  • Options

<< <i>Of course of you don't like Pushkin's coin you can always jump at this >>

I think they should stick with my coin; the buyer knows exactly what he/she is getting, and my modest profit will go to a good cause - more coins for me. Besides, Heritage isn't offering a "Golden Seal of Authenticity" and I'll bet that high priced coin of theirs doesn't even come with the natural odor of 200+ years of history. I would NEVER sell a coin at wholesale - you lose money!image
  • Options
    If you're talking about the coin that Heritage is offering it's further provenance is ex: F.C.C. Boyd; ex: Hillyer Ryder collection; ex: St. Louis Stamp & Coin on October 1, 1926
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    I'm very interested in the coin. Could you possibly scan a better pic and send it to me?

Please include a scratch and sniff. I'm not sure I believe you about the Pirate.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    Only One Of These Is An Authentic Fugio - Guess Which One and Feel Good About Your Grading Skills!

..............Coin Number 1 ...............................or .......................Coin Number 2....................or..................... Coin Number 3
  • Options

<< <i>Could you possibly scan a better pic and send it to me? >>

Absolutely not! A better picture will make the coin look better.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Stare at that fugio long enough and it looks like a Pizza.
  • Options
    Coin 1 is a modern copy of some sort.

Coin 2 is real and grades PR-01

Coin3 has been called a New Haven Restrike. It's not a restrike because it was made from mid 19th century dies, not from original Fugio cent dies. It's got skinny rings on the reverse, which is the big give-away. The sun's face on the obverse that is shaped like home plate is the other give-away.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Talk is cheap Dorkkarl - put up some green stuff - and I don't mean verdigris - or go back to plastic coffin bashing. >>

i would put up some green stuff, but i got my camel turds conserved over at NCS. they aren't green any more - they've got that blast-white look! i bet they could help out your "coin".

K S
  • Options

<< <i>i would put up some green stuff, but i got my camel turds conserved over at NCS. they aren't green any more - they've got that blast-white look! i bet they could help out your "coin". >>

Ha, ha

My Fugio will NEVER see the dark of plastic or the conservationist's scalpel - I'm a "pure" purist.
  • Options
    Puskin--

My great, great, grandfather Clankeye of Cornwall was killed by a sock full of Fugio's to the head.

Maybe you should be a little more sensitive before joking about that stuff?

Clankeye
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe you should be a little more sensitive before joking about that stuff? >>

I lost my sensitivity (it was a more traumatic event than losing my - well, never mind) after attending my first coin show and shyly asking a dealer why he was charging so much for a cleaned, AT'd, holed common date coin.

I'd be happy to have a DNA test performed on the coin to see if it was partially responsible for your ancestor's traumatic demise. Please forward a check for $2316.83.

Regards,
    Pushkin
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    Now THAT's a Fugiogly cent!image
  • Options
    The talk about this coin has made me want to add this piece, with its rich history, to my collection. If you will please post your bank's routing # and your checking account # I can forward payment to you immediately. I will send my shipping information to you after I am sure you have received my money.
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options
    Bill, I believe #3 is a modern copy of a New Haven restrike not a "real" one.
  • Options

<< <i>Bill, I believe #3 is a modern copy of a New Haven restrike not a "real" one. >>

Conder101 is correct.

Coin No.1 is a Royal Oak Mint "COPY"

Coin No.2 is an authentic Fugio Cent

Coin No.3 is a New Haven restrike "COPY"

Coin No.4 is the nice Fugio that I have been hoping to buy for three years now but still have not located.

• Options
    Nice coin!! image
  • Options
    Pushkin,

Everyone should have a "good luck" coin, you know, the kind you can carry in your pocket and take out and look at once in a while with absolutly no fear that you would lower the grade or damage the coin and this coin sure meets that critiria !!! imageimage

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    Well, I thought that the color and surfaces looked funny on the copy of the New Haven restirke, but I just assumed that someone had messed around with it. Just to think. Now we have copies of coins that were copies of older coins. It's like having the ba$tard son of a ba$tard.image and selling it to those who can't even afford the price of the first illegitimate off spring. Amazing! image

BTW, "Ba$tard" is perfectly legitimate word, especially when it is used in the context that is is used here. I don't care for censorship feedback that I got on this post ONE BIT! image
  • Options

<< <i>Now we have copies of coins that were copies of older coins >>

True,

About a year or so back I saw an eBay seller passing these "copies of cpoies" of as legitimate, with a long-winded song-and-dance, and bidders paying large sums for junk. The Royal Oak Mint copies are fairly good; that is they look OK if you just want to see what a "new" Fugio looks like. A good picture of the restrike copies shows how bad they are - sorry my picture was so poor - which caused them to look more "real" than they actually are.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file