Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do you collect, other than coins?????

2»

Comments

• Fountain Pens.

Montblanc Meisterstuck LeGrand Solitaire Royal

This one goes for $125,000.00, but I don't own it ...YET!image
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeSoto's - 1939, 1950, 1955. The original hemi. Also hubcaps of orphan cars from the 1920's and 30's - Pierce Arrow, Hupmobile, Auburn.

Unlike coins, you can polish a hubcap and hang them on nails in your garage!
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    I also collect contemporary handmade glass marbles.

Lou image
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Snakes (live ones) of course!

And names and addesses of people who boast about their valuable collections.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Bicycles. I ride a lot. Up to five.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • 1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might get in on this one too.

Juke boxes- Mostly Seeburgs from the 50's and 60's.

Case limited edition knives- around 175 of them

45 rpm records- last count at 9500 or so. Mostly 1949-1969.

Flo-blue china- 133 pieces of one pattern

pocket watches- around 50 or so.

Lakeside classic books- 1904- date

Pickle casters- 10 or so

Biscuit or cracker jars

Cruets

Some old guns and some not so old.

1960 T-Bird with factory stick- They didn't make many of them.

And lots of what most people would call junk or as George Carlin calls it "Stuff".

If it's old and neat, I'll probably like it.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Books (history, biographies, numismatic); fountain pens, pocket knives.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Class 3 firearms.

For those not in the know: full-auto submachine guns and rifles.

I also have a few DD's (destructive devices)

Av.
    No sane man will dance. - Cicero
  • Fine Art Photography..........

Jim
    ANA Member R-213302
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucy - Now I know why the shots of your vintage autos are never in a garage. That garage of yours must be stacked with all the other 50's memorabilia you have.

• << <i>Stamps, >>

imageimage
    Lucy collects stamps ??!!...that makes her one of those philanderers...
  • GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Besides coins, I also collect rock and mineral specimen's. Especially, ore samples.
  • RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    swords and sci-fi books.
  • Besides US and world coins (and currency)... I collect books on Alaskan history.
    The Wegner ARRC Bingle Set

Looking for 1967 PCGS/NGC slabbed coins.
  • nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Belly Button Lint
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • nepbrs44,

yours or other people's?

The Wegner ARRC Bingle Set

Looking for 1967 PCGS/NGC slabbed coins.
  • LokiLoki Posts: 897 ✭✭
    Dinosaur eggs and Wooly Mammoth tusks.
  • I collect golf antiques, espically wooden shafted clubs, airplanes ( have 2 now), and gold.image
  • Cool to see that someone else collects Blue Willow china and wolves. My mom got me started on both.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Anything Beatles, Wolves, or James Bond.
    also knives.
  • By the way Ken,
    I was SOOO relieved when those NASCAR doll pix
    finally downloaded !!!
  • ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    1) Obsolete hard drives and controllers, especially those more prone to data loss than most of their contemporaries. (Is there another computer geek here who remembers Tulin, Lapine, Perstor, JTS, or the aptly-named Dae Young?) This is a hobby that hasn't ripened yet. When I sold a pristine Seagate 250R 40MB (which would have made an OK but slow 26MB drive with a normal MFM controller) no one bid on it, so I asked my wife to buy it back from me. I'm still looking for that elusive Olivetti 3 MB 5.25" full height MFM drive. If I have a daughter, her name will be ESDI.

2) Anything recorded by or written by Thelonious Monk, Fats Waller or Bud Powell. (I'll take on Art Tatum next, when I've taught myself enough to play one of his solos.)

3) Well-preserved old PCs. My computer room has an Apple Lisa converted to an early Mac, and a black Macintosh TV that is not upgradeable. My basement stash includes a working Apple III with an Apple II emulation card and lots of software, a Radio Shack Trash 80 Model 1 with original box and dox, IBM and Compaq suitcase portables with large carry bags my wife and I sometimes use as regular luggage, an eMachines iMac ripoff in the original box, plus some Osbornes, Zeniths, Kaypros, and a working EGA monitor sold with a pink case. This hobby has finally matured to the point where savvy collectors of technological debris pay according to condition (functionality as well as cosmetic condition and included documentation and software). Many PCs sell for less than their original packaging and diskettes. There may someday be a registry set competition for old PCs, since collectors are already starting to pay more for the packaging and inserts than the antique hardware itself. If I strike it rich it will be tough for me to decide between a nice cameo proof Barber Half and a DEC Rainbow Executive Workstation, with their strange floppy drives and teardrop-shaped monochrome monitor rising out of the rolltop desk DEC housed this in!

4) Miscellaneous exercises in kitsch. I collect movies by Edward D. Wood, Jr. Miniature replicas of roadside monstrosities like the Mitchell, S.D. Corn Palace, the DeForest, WI fiberglass Pink Elephant, and the 6-ton Presho S.D. prairie dog warm my heart.
    My favorite opera arias are by the self-phynanced Florence Foster Jenkins or by Spike Jones' City Slickers. Not suprisingly, my collection shelf also has Alan Hager's first Morgan/Peace Dollar book and Les/Sue Fox' "Silver Dollar Fortune Telling", but it may take a more seasoned collector to appreciate these as kitsch.

I used to collect stamps, but have recently saved a few trips to the post office by using U.S. commemoratives I started buying as a kid in the early '70s. Most are still available at less than face value, and are good attention-getters when I mail out something not received by an inhumane bill collector.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • spider web, baskets and debt
  • jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    N-guage Model Railroad Cars.
    J'har

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file