Home U.S. Coin Forum

1963 PR70DC PCGS Lincoln cent - Auction

2»

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Still, pocket change really does suck. >>

It truly does suck that a true collector can find rare coins in circulation and form important sets
    while some collectors have to buy all their coins from coin dealers or shop on e-bay. It's not
    fair that millions of people are having a blast collecting pocket change for well... pocket change
    while others can only get something important by shelling out stacks of money. It sucks that
    there isn't more chance of finding the best modern rarities and knowing that if you go to buy
    them from a dealer they'll cost a tiny fraction of what a comparable classic would cost. It sucks
    that there are lines of people to criticise you and your coins usually through ignorance.

If they weren't so damn much fun I'd have half a mind to quit.image
    Tempus fugit.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeattleSlammer, according to cladking, you are not entitled to your own opinion. You should agree with him always. You should collect what he collects or you are wrong.

Clad, we know you love your pocket change. Why does everyone have to agree with you? You are the reason I no longer collect the stuff.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭

<< <i>It truly does suck that a true collector can find rare coins in circulation and form important sets... >>

Watch it! Recently on the Registry Forum I called someone a true collector for making their own coins (it escapes me what series it was) and I got hammered for it. I can't even remember who it was off hand. Regardless, they assembled a wonder set by seaching raw coins and, as I remember, it is a very good set too.

It seems some feel true collecting involves picking the right coin in the right holder, especially if you sell coins. image

Dan
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cladking,

While your argument in favor of collecting moderns IS totally valid, I still think pocket change, er moderns, are really, really, really booooooooring. Even the highest graded condition rarities. That so-called proof 70 Lincoln is still an example of the same Lincoln I drop into the communal dish at the gas station. To me, that just makes it extremely uninteresting.

But like I wrote, your reasons for collecting pocket change ARE valid. Just as it's totally valid to express my opinion that pocket change.......well, you know.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>cladking,

While your argument in favor of collecting moderns IS totally valid, I still think pocket change, er moderns, are really, really, really booooooooring. Even the highest graded condition rarities. That so-called proof 70 Lincoln is still an example of the same Lincoln I drop into the communal dish at the gas station. To me, that just makes it extremely uninteresting.

But like I wrote, your reasons for collecting pocket change ARE valid. Just as it's totally valid to express my opinion that pocket change.......well, you know. >>

It's not that I disagree with you in the least except for your conclusions and if it weren't
    for the continual drumbeat in the press, on the boards, and at the bourse about the "faults"
    of moderns and their collectors then I'd not even bother to point out that some see the same
    situation, the same coins, and the same reasoning but draw completely different conclusions.

To each his own.

Tempus fugit.
  • GerryGerry Posts: 456
    Hmmmm:

The bid price on the 1963 Lincoln in pr70dc has dropped back to $35K. Must have been a phony bidder that drove it up.

• baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    That reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Bart sneaks into an auction room where they're bidding on a painting. The auctioneer says "sold to the boy in the front row for 1.2 million", Bart laughs and runs out. He then says "Well, the next highest bid was 1.1 million", another guy laughs and runs out. "Were there any serious bids on this painting?". No answer.

My guess is that 7 of the 8 bidders on this coin are going to laugh and run out and some guy is gonna get it for $35.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    yippee - I am back in the running for RUSS's great prize

it had past my guess and scores of other guessers as well

• That is not a spotless coin, and what is with the light areas in front, and back of Lincoln.
  • Where are you guys seeing this coin?? All I know how to get is the live e-bay auction. What do I click on?? steve
  • All I can see is plastic, a number and registry madness! I have several 69DCAMS that are stunning from 1960-1964 and I sure don't see a 70 even the first time around from last year!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Thanks Russ, I appreciate it, but how to I get HERE on my own. I can get to the live auctions, but I don't know how to get to specific lots. Thanks Steve
  • Does this coin seem to have a rotated die, the reverse looks a little crooked in the picture on Heritage.

~Wilson
    I Love the Lincolns (65+)
    I Like the Washingtons (65+)
    I Am beginning to enjoy old halve dollar commemoratives (65+)

I will be President of the United States in 2020

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” ~Henry David Thoreau
  • What are the chances that the carbon spots showed up after the coin was holdered? I wonder if the coin really was a PR70DCAM when it was graded and the spots turned in the holder making it a sure fire PR69DCAM.
  • Trust me - This one turned in the holder! Otherwise, PCGS has a very deep-seeded problem. Their grading on Lincolns is overall very good, IMHO, and the '63 is an abberation. No way this one looked like it does now when it was graded. Even an ill, delerious grader couldn't have been that off. Much less the "confirming" grader.

I have a '29-S that I bought raw (I put it at a MS66RD) - three months later - yuck! Even though I stored it properly! It happens! Copper is a very unstable metal, especially if it has been dipped or teated in some other way.

PCGS is still #1 for me and my wheats.

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    1963 1C PR70 Deep Cameo PCGS. From a substantial proof mintage in excess of three million pieces, this specimen is the first and only example to achieve the highest possible grade assessment. Thick mint frost covers the devices and provides a strong contrast against the depth of mirrored reflectivity in the fields, and, of course, there are no handling marks or other flaws of any significance to be found. Deep cherry-red color characterizes this splendid coin--the finest certified by either of the major services.
  • Placid - I hope you're quoting the catalog. If not, you are certifiable! image

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can get to the live auctions, but I don't know how to get to specific lots. >>

Steve,

Here is the coin on eBay.

Russ, NCNE
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    When the hell are they gonna sell the stupid thing? This auction's been going on for weeks. I hope the winner gets a complimentary psychological evaluation.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears that it DNS.
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,608 ✭✭
    Seemed like it went for $35K; but was reserve met? Telling that there was not a single floor bid after the open.

CG
    Yep, eBay Live opened and closed at the $35K where it sat at the end of internet bidding.

Russ, NCNE
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When the hell are they gonna sell the stupid thing? This auction's been going on for weeks. I hope the winner gets a complimentary psychological evaluation. >>

He should pay for his own shrink if he can afford to buy this coin.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    E-Bay says a floor bidder had the highest bid, not that it means anything----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
    I'm pretty sure the book [reserve] shows up as a floor bidder.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not attend the auction, but I was told by someone that before the lot opened, Heritage announced on the floor that "PCGS has disavowed the grade"...

I think the action that PCGS are apparently taking is sensible, even if it appears highly controversial in the near term.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

The high internet or proxy bid will show up as floor bid; the bids that are shown as internet bids are from internet bidders using the ebay live auction feature.

CG
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My source also said that there were NO actual floor bids and that he didn't hear the "ding" either.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

If PCGS "disavowed" the grade, does a proxy bidder have a right to revoke their bid? That would seem to be the fair result, leaving the consignor to take the issue up with PCGS by making a claim on their grade guaranty.

By the way, Russ if it did not sell, I won the contest you started in the guess the selling price thread.

CG
    Not so fast - I predicted a final no sale as well! I demand a recount!

What's the prize? A Kennedy? Oh............nevermind! image

<< <i>By the way, Russ if it did not sell, I won the contest you started in the guess the selling price thread. >>

You guys need to re-read the contest rules.

Russ, NCNE
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I was with Keets and mdwoods at the auction just to see what would happen. As they announced the lot they opened with the disclaimer that PCGS had informed them that they disavowed the grade on the holder. The question "What does that mean?" was asked from the floor and all they would say is "PCGS has disavowed the grade on the holder". A bid of $1 was yelled out from the floor and there were several chuckles. Heritage announced the opening bid at $35,000 and it closed to book.

I would love to know how this resolves itself but if I were a betting man I would say we never know. I am pretty sure the $35000 was the reserve so this is now between the consignor and PCGS.

edited to include: I just saw where David Hall just posted that they are taking full responsibility. Kudos to PCGS
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Russ should send the Kennedy to the high bidder, it is probably a nicer coin than the centimage-------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file