Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where is the best place to have old copper graded?

I've got a 1796 Liberty CAP large cent In fairly nice shape, but dark, that I've been meaning to get slabbed. Someone told me once that PCGS hates copper that isnt bright red. Is this true?

Comments

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it to ANACS....
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Ditto the coin Ell Tee...
    ANACS is the best for copper!!!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, send it to ANACS. You may end up with a net grade but at least it won't come back in a body bag.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ANACS also = cheaper and faster... use the 5-Day Express, their Economy is SWAMPED! And it's worth the extra $8 or so to get it 5-Day express...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post a pic if you can. PCGS will grade copper that is not red. I have a lot of early copper graded from them.

Tbig
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO the grading services are all over the map on the earliest (18th century) copper. If your coin is only dark and otherwise problem-free -- and not damaged, tooled, etc., -- I would not rule out sending it to PCGS.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anacs
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I believe ANACS is VERY strict on early copper and tbig might back me on that.

One thing I don't like about ANACS though is that they at times seem pretty darn quick to toss that annoying Net grade out there.

If you know the coin is a problem coin, send it to NCS where they don't net grade it.
  • Options
    ANACS is excellent and will net grade, if needed. PCGS would BB
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree ANACS.

NGC and PCGS can be unreasonable hard on early copper, especially when you see what they allow for early silver and gold. Unwarranted body bags are a MAJOR problem with both of these services.

And lest you think all copper in those two services holders is PQ, guess again. They have slabbed their share of problem coins too. Let’s just call them inconsistent.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    Hmm........now im even more torn. It's not a problem coin, its just dark. No tooling or anything like that, but it is worn. What to do what to do.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Post some pictures here and get some free opinions.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will buy a no problem anacs graded early copper coin any time!

Tbig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file