Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Guy

I just started getting interested in coins and decided collection, and i am only 14 so as you can tell i dont have much of an income. i was wondering what i should collect that is cheap enuogh.
New coin collector just started. I'm only 14 years old. But dont let that fool you! I really like Mercury Dimes and Franklin Halves, and the occasional Kennedy.I am still building sets and need coins any help is appreciated

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Do a US TYPE set. Get a nice Dansco album and work on the album. You'll get to see many different coins during this and maybe you will find a series to concentrate on.

Also get some books too!
  • Options
    Yo..AYEEEE Welcome! ...Collect MORGAN DOLLARS...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    what is a morgan dollar? i havent heard of those.
    New coin collector just started. I'm only 14 years old. But dont let that fool you! I really like Mercury Dimes and Franklin Halves, and the occasional Kennedy.I am still building sets and need coins any help is appreciated
  • Options
    From your sig, you seem to like Mercs and Frankies and Kenndys so that might be a good place to start. Inexpensive coins can be had in all three series as long as you aren't overly grade conscious.

You also can't get any cheaper than putting sets togehter from circulation and searching rolls from circulation. of course, that is not for everyone's tatses.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!!

There are newbies falling from the skies today!!
  • Options
    If you don't have any idea of what you want to collect, do what goose3 says, and do a type set, that'll let you see all the different coins, and at fairly reasonable prices too... if a small budget is a problem, then more modern coins might be what you need, Franklin or Kennedy Halves can be fairly moderate in price. Personally, I'm 17, and I have a decent amount of money to work with, about $80 every month, though that's not much compared to what these other guys put out, and I'm a Mercury Drime collector. My income allows me to add 1 or 2 nice coins into my collection every month. I hope you can find a set that you like and can settle into, but, there's some guys on here are that have been collecting for years and are only Type collectors... Good luck, and have FUN!
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgan dollars were minted from 1878 to 1904 and in 1921. They were named for the designer, George Morgan.

They are the most popular collector coin for which collectors pay large sums of money. Many dates are quite common and fairly cheap in Mint State because these coins were not popular when they were minted. Many coins spent long years stored in government vaults.

Some Morgan dollars are very expensive. Prices can reach the hundreds of thousands of dollars for rare dates like 1893-S and 1889-CC.

You could work on a date set of Morgan dollars. Circulated pieces can be purchased for less than $10. Mint State can be purchased for $30 to $40 for many years.

Still if you want them all you will need to get a good job and a have large coin budget.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    the only reason i know those coins s because my frend gave some to me. how much are they worth? and where can i find some cheap ones? thanx for help
  • Options

<< <i>what is a morgan dollar? i havent heard of those. >>

Scratch what I said above and go out and buy (or lokk at the library for) a Redbook and maybe a beginners guide to coin collecting of some kind (Coin Collecting for Dummies or the Whitman one or something similar).

You can also go looking around the Virtual Museum on my site for info and pictures, etc of most (I still have a few to add) US series:

http://www.coinpeople.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=60

• Options
    i might check your site and bill jones thanx for the reply, do you hav a picture of one? or if you have one that is like old and in bad condition maybe you could send me one. if not thats ok. thanx though
  • Options
    Coinfan: Go up to the profile button, and check the box for "Allow Private Messages" or something along those lines. This will allow forum members to send messages directly to you, when someone has sent you a message, the little Lock emblem on the upper left part of the screen will flash between red and orange and next to it, will say "X new message(s)." and it will also allow you to send msgs, or PMs, to people.
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    thanx for the tip i changed it
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an 1880-CC Morgan Dollar. This one would cost you several hundred dollars because (1) It is Mint State (2) it is a Carson City mint dollar and they are popular and (3) it's a better date among the Carson City dollars.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thanx for the picture. what are some of the key dates?
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    any vam morgan, 1893-s, 1895 ...

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From your sig, you seem to like Mercs and Frankies and Kenndys >>

That sig is 33% excellent.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>That sig is 33% excellent. >>

I agree, totally...Mercs are awesome! image

• Options
    i agree they are pretty sweet. i only have 1 though. do u think u could help me out by selling me one cheap. it doesnt have to be in the best condition. pm me please
  • Options
    Welcome!

<< <i>what are some of the key dates? >>

Interesting question from someone who doesn't know what a Morgan is.
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options
    the only reason i asked it was cuase billjones sed sumthin about it in his post
  • Options
    I didn't see the expression "key date" in any post before you mentioned it. Rather specific term.
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options
    The best advice and the most objective advice I can give you is the following.

1. 1909-1922 Lincoln cents in AU
    2. 1934-47 Walkers in MS63.
    3. 1934-45 Mercs in MS64

Those are the best coins for the money on a small budget that in my mind are undervalued right now.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Check out The Darkside. Your money will go much further there.
  • Options
    what is

<< <i>the dark side >>

• Options
    I smell a rat. I think we are being had here.
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• Options

<< <i>I didn't see the expression "key date" in any post before you mentioned it. Rather specific term. >>

Hehe. Nice catch.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    here read this i substuited a word that made sence to me but here is where i got it

<< <i>Here's an 1880-CC Morgan Dollar. This one would cost you several hundred dollars because (1) It is Mint State (2) it is a Carson City mint dollar and they are popular and (3) it's a better date among the Carson City dollars. >>

• Options
    Nice try, though.
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options
    I love all the deliberate mispellings too .... this is getting better by the minute!
    Paul in Pine Hill
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Quick question for the new guy, Coinfan: What is AIM? Please don't anyone else answer it.

Any 14 year old would know what it is.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Notice how, right after K10 popped him, he suddenly forgot how to spell?

<< <i>the only reason i asked it was cuase billjones sed sumthin about it in his post >>

<< <i>here read this i substuited a word that made sence to me but here is where i got it >>

Compare those last couple of posts to his first few.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Me and him were talking on AIM just a minute ago...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Tom,

I'm 48 and know what it is.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tom, I'm 48 and know what it is. Russ, NCNE >>

That could very well be true, but the older you are the LESS likely you are to know what it is.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    And you know that he didn't pick up the term key date from another source on the internet? There's certainly enough reading material out there... or that it certainly did make more sense for him to call it a key date? Apparently sometime in the past someone thought that it was appropriate to call the main dates from a series a Key Date...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    If he picked up "key date" he certainly would have run across a Morgan or two.
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options

<< <i>And you know that he didn't pick up the term key date from another source on the internet? There's certainly enough reading material out there... >>

Yep, and in all that studying he never found out what a Morgan dollar is. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Now where did the new guy go? He disappeared suddenly once he was confronted!
    Paul in Pine Hill
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    He said he had to get off... course I wouldn't blame him for leaving for the way you guys are now acting... I certainly would have if I had been treated the same way when I came onboard...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Russ,

I think ya'll ran him off! image

I smelt a rat too.image
  • Options
    George, your ardent defense of an obvious troll is somewhat troubling.
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options
    What are your reasons for him being a "troll" ??
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    George,

Do you know anything about this guy other than his AIM screen name and whatever he told you via that medium?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Well, I guess we'll find out then when/if he comes back...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I guess we'll find out then when/if he comes back... >>

Don't you need to log off first?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Coinfan.

Whatever a newbie collects should be something which interests him. Just about anything
    can be collected on a shoestring so it's just a matter of finding some interesting coins. One
    learns more about the market when selling than when buying so newbies are well advised
    to sell some coins along the way
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Merc's are a great choice 34-45 MS64 would be a great start
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards.

Mercury dimes are a great choice!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Welcome aboard,
    though I'm older, I'm relatively new to coins myself.
    This forum is a great place to learn and get advice,
    in spite of the few who take no prisoners !

Collect the best example of whatever you like and ,and can afford,
    and you will end up with a collection everyone will admire.

Skipper
  • Options
    A Big WELCOMEimage

Collect everything but morgans are topps
    Michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file