Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My Final Coin of 2003

Hello everyone,

The FedEx guy just visited my home and he cam bearing my final coin of 2003. I though this would be my first coin of 2004 but some great service got it in my hands more quickly than I expected. Yes - you guessed it, it's from the Holy Roman Empire, a 1736 Charles VI Hall mint Thaler.

After viewing this coin about 1000 times over the past 8 months at Northeast's website realized that my thinking had changed from "Should I buy it?" to "How much can I get it for?" so why not take advantage of the make offer option. Since the coin is in hand, and the best slab photography lighting conditions passed for the day, no harm in borrowing borrow NEN's pictures:

The photos are accurate, if flattering. Originally I was thinking of holding out for a Prague mint example of this coin to match my half thaler and 15 kreuzer, but as they say "a Hall mint in hand is worth two Pragues in the bush".

It's in a PCGS holder, anyone care to play guess the grade? As always, comments are welcome.
-JamminJ

Comments

• Options
    Awesome coin!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. I won't guess the grade because I already know it. I've looked at that coin may times before.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin. I won't guess the grade because I already know it. I've looked at that coin may times before. >>

Ever come close to pulling the trigger?

-JamminJ
  • Options
    Never thought of pulling the trigger because I got away from collecting Talers.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    What's replacing your collection of Thalers? I've noticed you selling many nice examples, and even have one with your pedigree. NEN has a new Salzburg thaler but no images up yet.

-JamminJ
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Nice acquisition!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Thanks Wybrit!

That's quite a compliment coming from a Brit collector.image

-JamminJ
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an MS61+ to me, but I'll guess AU55 image What do I win?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Jammin, I'm collecting English/British coins by monarch. I started with Cnut and going to the 20th C.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to hazard a wild guess of MS-64.

Nice coin by the way! Congrats!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies!

For those that played guess the grade the holder says AU55 (I'm suspicious about one of the guessers checking NENs websight!). Really appealing looking coin but some light but definite wear on the cheek, hair and shoulder.

-JamminJ
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Wow....sorry I'm late...what a great coin congrads!!!image
  • Options
    Yes, that is a great coin, JamminJ. You are to be congratulated that your last coin purchase of 2003 would be such a good one.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Cool coin, but I only collect clad talers. image
    Obscurum per obscurius