Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

All charges against R. Gillio dismissed

According to the 1/5/04 CoinWorld (page 8), Ron Gillio has been cleared of all charges related to the purchase of Josef Muench's photography works.

Later in the article, PNG has reinstated him.

I think it is unfortunate that for one year Ron Gillio has had this cloud over his head, only to have all charges drop later.

Perhaps CoinWorld could have placed this article on the front page instead of page 8.

Todd
Todd Abbey

Comments

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭
    It's amazing. Call someone a thief, or rapist, or axe-murderer on the front page, find out later that is not the case, and you just need to publish a short retraction. Font size and location of the retraction are at the paper's choosing.
  • Options
    Just Terrible. As much as CW reported "his problems" I certainly agree it should have been 1st page news.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    I'm glad and happy for him.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Is Coin World owned by The New York Times?!

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    FYI: The local Santa Barbara paper put the dismissal on the front page. Coin World never gave it good coverage, and, in fact, placed the dismissal article much further forward in the paper than any of the previous articles.

Ron, of course, was never guilty and should not have been suspended by the PNG. Many others, besides myself, fought for his rights, as an accused, but not convicted. He is very happy that this is behind him now and will get on with the next 50 years of his life. He is an excellent numismatist and businessman.

Happy New Year to all.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    I saw the article the other day and thought they should have had that on page one as well. I am very pleased for Gillio and the hobby. Just goes to show everyone how important it is to know who you are dealing with at all times. Clearly this other fellow was someone to be avoided.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Julian thanks for the update. CoinWorld never made this a front page item from the getgo (unless my memory fails me) so why would they make it front page now? I don't understand the anger toward them. However I still believe that PNG jumped the gun, whatever happened to the presumption of innocence?
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    That was my point of contention, Mike. Innocent until proven guilty.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    Terrible policy by PNG, whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These charges should never have been brought in the first place. If you think the value of coins is subject to some variation just wait until you enter the realm of fine art photography. Coin value guides at their worst are better than what exists in the photo world. The fine art photo market is extremely thin.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I attended a PNG meeting where the issue of Mr. Gillio's suspension was hotly debated.

I could easily understand and appreciate both sides of the arguments put forth. I believe that the reason he was suspended without having been found guilty, was due to the potential liability that the PNG might have, since the organization was on notice that there might be a problem.

The vote was whether to suspend him or not, not whether to fine or jail him. And, while in a court of law, a person is presumed innocent, like it or not, the same (legal) standard doesn't necessarily / always apply outside a court room.

Hindsight is great and I am sincerely sorry that the suspension was enforced upon, what turned out to be an innocent party. But, if Mr. Gillio had been found guilty and had committed any crimes as an active PNG member during the interim, people would be livid that the PNG had NOT suspended him. They were truly in a no-win situation, in my opinion.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I just received my Numismatic News and the story is on the front page. Kudosimage
  • Options
    I don't know Ron and have no ax to grind with him BUT how on earth can he justify paying the photographer $2,500 for prints/negatives he thought he could sell for $1 million?

I got the impression ALL charges were dropped but apparently only the elder financial abuse charges have been dropped he still faces two counts of grand theft.

We can apply the same situation with coins. Lil ole lady aged 90 comes in to sell her dirty dusty coins which her deceased husband left behind. Storefront dealer looks and sees BU rolls of Indies, FEs, Buffs, Standing 25c, some southern gold, etc. He offers her $1000 which to someone living on $600/mo SS is a fortune. Coins go onto ebay or show circuit selling for $50,000. Is this fair? Ethical? Who cares! It's illegal!

I nearly had a similar experience when I went to a local storefront to sell a shoebox of sports cards. The owner quickly flipped through the box and offered me $75 and actually started counting out the money. I told him there was a Mickey Mantle in there and a Willie Mays. Now he knew he had someone who knew a little about the value. He said he did not see them but his offer jumped to $100. I walked out with my cards and got a knowledgeable friend to sell them for about $500. Not a fortune but I learned an important lesson. Sadly, I am sure this scene is played out many times everyday accross the nation.

Mercury News article on Gillio
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    ohbaby

Grillio has been cleared of all charges. Its O'Mahoney, who still faces charges. He is the one acquired the photos from the photographer for $2500. Grillio's involvement was only after the fact in that he got involved in the selling of the acquired prints with O'Mahoney.

Frankly, Grillio should never have been charged as he had no involvement with the photographer.
  • Options
    But, if Mr. Gillio had been found guilty and had committed any crimes as an active PNG member during the interim, people would be livid that the PNG had NOT suspended him. They were truly in a no-win situation, in my opinion.

But, what if we let the accused free and later find out he or she is guilty? How would we look? What kind of society would we live in? And what does it take to be a stand up person or organization?

How easy it is to take the low road... What a no-win society we're turning into, in my opinion!
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Coin World owned by The New York Times?!

catch, no one picked up your correct one liner - you are right on the money with that line, and I know what you meant, shame on any news organization that for whatever reason(s) manipulates/skews the news, font, headings and so forth to forward their own agenda or line of thought etcimageimage

Marc
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad for Ron Gillio and I (truly) believe that justice was served.

Nevertheless, it's easier to understand the PNG's actions when you consider how many coin dealers (and others!) would be happy to pay $2500 for a million bucks worth of coins. In such a world, it's not prudent to assume the best of people.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file