Home U.S. Coin Forum

How Many Complete Sets Do You Have?

And you can define complete as having met the goal you set out to achive with your set(s).

I currently only have two complete sets, although I am working on several others. One set is of MS Franklins- see the link below for the details. The second set consists of the 1938-1942 (I and II) proof Jeffersons. My goal was to just define the set with these early issues. The set is all (PCGS) PR66, except the '39, which is PR67.
Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

Comments

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero image
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Michael
  • I have the complete set of "Hall of Fame for Great Americans" coins, issued over 15 years. All with the same mintage number and the ONLY complete set known!
  • Technically, I have 0 but I am close. And it depends on what I call a "set". I only collect Silver Eagles. In my "BU Set" I am short the '96 to have the complete set from 1986-2003. If I "combine" sets, such as mixing in proof and slabbed coins with my BU eagles of various years then I am STILL short the '96 as I do not have one in any form. But in time I will have several of these "sets" as I do have some dupes.

That being said, I am also trying to combine 5 types of Eagles for each year (BU, PCGS MS69/70, Proofs in mint box, PCGS PR69/70, and mint rolls). I have at least one of each type from 2003, so if I call that a 2003 "set" then I guess I have 1 set.

Pretty sad, but it makes me happy image

Silver American Eagles ROCK
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One complete set, a VF/XF Barber half collection. I almost gave up too. I think a set of barber quarters would have been my next move, but the nicest 1901-S VF30 just sold, and since another one won't show up for another decade or so I may not bother. image

Tyler
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    FE cents business strikes.

Jefferson nickel business strikes.

SBA business strikes.

Ike business strikes.

Korean one chon.

Korean five chon.

Korean ten chon.

Several completed sets of pre-1945 short run Japanese coinage.

Japanese one sen (dragon pattern).

Manchoukuo 5 li

Manchoukuo one fen 1933-1938.

Mengchiang one chiao

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As another has said, it depends on how you define "complete".

For instance, I have completed my goal of proof sets from 1960-present (I have from 1957-present now) but I only have the silver sets for the 1999-2001 years...I don't think I will get the clad sets to be honest.
    (actually, I say this is mine, but I am building these sets for my son to grow into...too expensive to go back years and years in the future, I predict, if he decides he wants to, so I am jumpstarting him with these).

I also have the MS SAEs from 86-03 in UNC (unslabbed, so I say UNC....they are in an intercept and dansco album pair....I have 2 sets...one for my son and 1 for me because I like them so much).
    I have 1 1/3 sets of the 86-03 (excluding the 95W) proof SAEs as well.
    I do have an album of Ikes (raw) that I hope are all MS63+ (I bought them for an OK price and figure I can learn and the cost won't be too much for me)
    I have the sacagaweas as well. Proof and MS (outside of the proof sets...I have these in 2x2s)

I have also completed the silver mint state set of the Australian lunar series (99-04)...again, 2 sets so I can have one for myself.

So, the only "complete sets" i have are the ones that aren't completed yet as they are still being produced (unlike a series that has ended....buff nickels, IHC, etc).

I also do morgans but have only completed a year set (one from each year) due to cost (I am trying MS60 minimum with most MS63+, but I do know the keys will be low end for me due to cost). I am still buying/collecting them, but i want to make sure the remaining ones i get have the right look, are authentic and as original as possible, and are within my price range.

I want to get frankies (~MS64..not necessarily FBL right away) and possibly roosies (same). Anyone know best price/way to get the frankies? image

So, to me, I have completed 7 sets (Proofs, MS SAE, Proof SAE, Australian Lunar Silver, Ikes, Sacagaweas, and a yearset of morgans), excluding dupes of the SAE/Lunar sets. I still have a lot more to go though to do more completions and get the coins that I just like to look at.

Wow! I have more than I thought!

Ron

PS....I have also completed (except for 2003-P coins) circulated sets in the whitman albums for the Jeffersons (not the george and Weesie type image ) from 1962-present, roosies (1965-present) and lincolns (1959-present). I do want/need to upgrade a few in each of these. I also have about 10 more kennedys (circ/MS) that I need to complete them (unslabbed)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• zero image
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TWO
    A set of ASE's from 1986 to 2003 AND
    yer basic set of Morgans business strike sans the 95 proof.
    unless you count an incomplete set as a set in work.

what?? I need another beer......
  • Two complete registry sets a number of others getting close.
    Also Manx coinage pre 1839.
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One, a set of business strike Franklin Halves. I think a silver set of Washington Quarters might be next.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Almost done my 100 years of Canadian Cents.

I have no clue where to go to next. I was thinking British Penny.
    I collect Canadian coins! Almost done completing me 1900-2000 Set of Cents! What shall I do next?
  • None so far.
    Working on PCGS PQ Morgans and high graded PCGS State Quarters.
  • One. I have an example of each date proof Jefferson nickel. I have a few varieties as well, though there are some double dies and things I don't have.

It will be a long time before I complete another set. I am now working on a type set.
  • 4! Franklin half in MS & Dimes from 46-64 & Ike in MS & Proof
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    19th Century Commemorative Type Set

Commemorative $10 Business Strikes

I've also got a complete 21st Century Type Set image.

That's all I've got complete, I think. Most of my sets will never be complete, I fear.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
  • Zero.

Where's the fun in actually finishing?image
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I have a number of complete type sets, but the following is my only complete date runs:

Japanese Occupied Inner Mongolia 5 chiao
    Province of Canada 20 cents
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    0. Nada. None.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • I have a complete Walker 1933-1947, (late date set), all PCGS ms65 up in the PCGS registry under "Wheat's Walkers" currently # 3 all time..... All have gorgeous toning, and I am continually looking to upgrade the set.

Sorry.... I don't know how to show a Link.image
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    Lincolns/raw, SBA, pcgs and raw, Ikes/raw -*- Sacs/PCGS and raw State quarters/raw to date.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Complete set large cents. That includes 3 types 1793, two types 1796.
  • puff...sent you a PM on linking. image

Hope it helps!
  • Zero yet...

Working on a BU franklin set, but I can already see that I will end up with one set being lower grade BU, and another being Gem+ BU.

mmm....I do have all of the state quarters.... does that count? image
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>mmm....I do have all of the state quarters.... does that count? image >>

All the way through Hawaii image? Then no...
  • Zip!! image
  • nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    image Goose egg...............Working on Merc's and Cap Halvesimage
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Lincolns
    Jeffersons
    Roosevelts
    Peace $$

So I guess that makes four with five others 90% there.
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Frankies only. My collecting is unfocused to say the least.
    DSW
  • foodude,

Really nice frankie set you've got there!!!

16 coins with only 2,1,0 higher on the alltime pop charts.

Congrats........even Lucy would be a......little envious.
    Lightside
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eight
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Sort of zero, but I do have all Lincoln Memorial Cents in almost the grades I want and I have all Ike's in ms64 (which was my original goal).
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Really nice frankie set you've got there!!

16 coins with only 2,1,0 higher on the alltime pop charts.

Congrats........even Lucy would be a......little envious!

Lightside,

Thanks for the compliment on my Franklin set. I initially completed the set in the mid '90s (MS64 and up). Since that time, I've been upgrading. Lucy was a big help in the upgrade process. Frank (Pug Dog icon) helped upgrade a couple dates as well, including the one that put the set in 65FBL or better.

Greg
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Complete, 0. But . . .

- Really close to completing a nice American type set (Dansco 7070).

- Need only the '24S and '27D Peace Dollars to complete that set in AU and better.

- Assault on high-grade Morgans and Winged Liberty dimes and mid-grade Buffalos and Jeffies, has begun.

- And I confess to having started a "Hard Times" token collection.
    The Body of Benjamin Franklin Printer (Like the cover of an old book Its contents torn out and stript of its lettering and gilding) lies here, food for worms.
    But the work shall not be lost for it will (as he believed) appear once more in a new and more elegant edition revised and corrected
    by The Author.

(Ben's epitaph)
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    My "set" is a lifetime goal, not a short term goal. Something for the truly sick in the head. I have thousands of different Lincoln cents, thousands more duplicates, triplicates, partial, half, and full rolls. I have thousands more rolls and nearly a dozen bags I have never been through. Face value alone of nearly $10K...but not one single thing I would call a "set".

Now...with that having been said, I could probably build half a dozen 1909-2003 Lincoln sets minus the 09S VDB...and I could build a thousand or more Memorial date and mint sets (business strike), and I could probably muster a dozen proof cent sets from 1959 to date. But any one of those to me is a mere pittance of a "set"....just a brush over the top of what's lurking within.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a complete set of Indian $2.50 gold pieces. I've got other sets like Lincoln cents, Jeff nickels and Roosevelt dimes, but I have not kept up with them. I've got everything in those sets up to 1964 or so. After that, well I never liked breaking up Proof coins to put into albums.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Complete PCGS registry sets:
    1. Basic Ike circulation strikes
    2. Ike proofs
    3. Sacagawea circulation strikes (Goodacre in original ICG slab -- I refuse to mess with this!)
    4. Sacagawea proofs
    5. Morgan mintmark types
    6. Morgan early S mints

In-work PCGS registry sets:
    1. Basic Morgan circulation strikes - 90%
    2. Peace circulation strikes - 33%
    3. Varieties Ike circulation strikes - 96%
    4. SBA proofs - 33%
    5. Morgan CCs - 77%
    6. Silver American eagle circulation strikes - 53%

Complete raw sets:
    1. Basic Morgan circulation strikes
    2. Peace circulation strikes
    3. Silver American eagle circulation strikes

Partial raw sets:
    1. Liberty walking halves
    2. Barber halves
    3. Basic SBA circulation strikes
    4. Silver American eagle proofs
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I have 16. Mostly types sets (20th century and modern) and MS & PR Ike sets.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
    I have a complete set of Indian $2.50 gold pieces.

I like that one; it's on my list of sets I'd like to work on in AU58.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    foodude: How Many Complete Sets Do You Have?

keets: What's a complete set??image

al h.image
    Keets didn't read the directionsimage I have two by my definition. Here is the info from the top of the post.

I currently only have two complete sets, although I am working on several others. One set is of MS Franklins- see the link below for the details. The second set consists of the 1938-1942 (I and II) proof Jeffersons. My goal was to just define the set with these early issues. The set is all (PCGS) PR66, except the '39, which is PR67.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Modern Commem MS $1
    Modern Commem Proof $1
    Modern Commem MS 50c
    Modern Commem Proof 50c
    SAE MS $1
    SAE Proof $1
    GAE MS $5
    SBA Proof
    IKE Silver Proof
    Kennedy Silver Proof
    State Quarter MS
    State Quarter Proof
    State Quarter Silver Proof

Ok......Help me, I'm a closet modern collectorimage
  • ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    2 complete sets of raw business strike Barber Dimes (one is Fine-MS63, the other is VG-AU) No 1894-S, of course.

Barber Halves, G- EF

Franklin Halves, MS (proofs are lacking only the 1950-52)

Walking Liberty Halves, 1916-47, VG-MS64

Ike Dollars, MS and Proof (no varieities, though)

Mercury Dimes (except prrofs) 1916-45 raw F-MS65 (my 16D is a ANACS photo-certificated with no grade requested, probably AG)

Washington Quarters 1932-64 Fine-MS65

U.S. Type, 1800-2000, copper, nickel, and silver, as defined by the holes in my Dansco/Littleton album, (I still need a few common gold types)

Thank goodness the subject of this thread was not "how many complete sets do you have which you will not try to upgrade". My answer to that might be my single dateless Walker, certified as MS-70 on its 2x2 by Silvertowne's Leon Hendrickson. Perhaps I have also completed a set of all coins certified as "commercial 63" in Accugrade photo-slabs which commemorate an event which took place within 3 blocks of my house. (Hint: I live 2 blocks north of the last standing building erected for the 1892-93 Chicago World's Fair/Columbian Expo).

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • ASE complete
    Roosies complete
    Jeffersons complete
    20th century set complete
    trying to finish my Washingtons, (5 remaining, the tough ones)
    after that will work on lincolns, need most before 1930.
    and begin a buffalo set
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I have four:

1. A modern US commemorative silver/clad proof set, dollars and half dollars.
    2. A US gold type set - the traditional 12 piece plus a couple more I've added like the Classic $2.5 and $5. pieces as well as the various no motto ones and one modern proof. Total is 20 coins when they are all added in.
    3. A complete 50 piece US classic commem type set in PCGS and NGC MS 64 through MS 68.
    4. A SAE proof set.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Greg

i understood the question, i was just poking fun at myself for my ineptitude. i actually do have one complete set, raw MS Silver eagles in an Intercept Shield album. all my other sets are works that will be in progress for ahwile.

al h.image
    all my other sets are works that will be in progress for ahwile.
    Keets, I have a lot of those tooimage

edited to add: I trust you picked up the sarcasm in my first comment to youimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file