Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any ideas?

SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
I'm filling up a Dansco 50-type commem album with coins in the MS63-64 range . For reasons of symmetry (I guess), Dansco has provided 6 more openings that I've decided to fill with normal silver (not clad) half-dollars : Barber,Walker,Franklin,Kennedy 64,Kennedy bicentennial. That leaves me with one more opening to fill up.

I'm reluctant to add a Seated, because the earliest commem is from 1892 (although the Kennedies don't make much sense either for the same reason). Any ideas? (design has to be different)

Thanks
Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    That's kind of a toughie - with the 1892 cutoff not allowing you to get a Seated Liberty design in there - you could opt for the first two years of the Walkers, when the mintmark appeared on the obverse - but really not a significant difference in design.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.

I'm not sure that I shouldn't include a Seated; adding circulation halves was the first idea that crossed my mind, thinking that it would make a great addition to the set. If there are any other recommendations, please let me know about them.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I see no problem with a Seated Half in there - perhaps an 1891; exactly right for date proximity, and a lot more affordable than the other late-date Seateds.
  • Options
    how about for russ and madmarty a 64 kennedy AH? just a thought. Or a sms half
    9/11/01 NEVER FORGET

12/14/03 Bremer Confirms U.S. Captured Saddam

Joe Holt

joe_holt@bellsouth.net
  • Options
    Your idea is fine and including the seated is great if it works for you. Remember, collect for yourself and the hell with what others think of your set. If I were in your shoes, I would keep the commem theme by selecting the best 6 designs from the modern series.

Edited: for spelling/grammar
  • Options
    This may seem unpatriotic - but how about a Canadian? from your birthyear or from their 1967 centenniel issue?
  • Options
    I like the idea of the 1891 seated. Right now you have all of the commems AND the coins that were circulating when the commems were issued. In 1892 when the first commemorative half came out, most of the halves in circulation would have been seated halves. Ties it all together.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file