Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is a NGC 1883CC GSA MS63* (star) worth $300 bucks?

I'm just wondering if the STAR designation is worth the extra money.
The coin has about 60% toned coverage on the obverse.
If I dumped the cash would I be able to get the asking price in the future if i decided to sell it.
Thanks
Tom

Comments

  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Really need to see the coin.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    All the star means is exceptional eye appeal in the minds of the graders at NGC. It's up to you to determine whether the eye appeal is worthy of spending more money or not.
  • Options


    << <i>If I dumped the cash would I be able to get the asking price in the future if i decided to sell it. >>



    No one knows otherwise we would make a ton of money. If the coin is nice and you have the money to spend then maybe yes.

    Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Well hers' the dilema. I think since some toned coins are bringing a premium and most GSA 83cc are going around $140 right now, I'm only paying 2x the going rate. Which is low compared to some toned star and other toned coins I have seen sold and listed. Here's the pic....
    Tom image
  • Options
    Not enough colors for me. I would want brighter colors.

    Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    If the picture is accurate heck no. Well not to me.
  • Options
    I bet it's a lot more impressive in person. At least that's the way I imagine itimage
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Having seen the coin, I would only pay a small premium over normal price for it.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your opinions. I think I"ll hold off on it.
    Tom
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Tom, I am sure I am like a lot of other collectors when I say I have passed on dozens of these at that level of pricing. I like the * but it doesn't influence what I pay for the coin.
  • Options
    Agree with Cameron...if the colors were bolder and tighter, then maybe...
  • Options
    Pastel colors are the most common toning on Morgans and rarely command much of premium, if it were me I would pass but in the end it has to be your decision. The fact that you are here asking tells me you are not real sure, if the coin does not reach out and grab your attention then it is probably best to move on and keep looking.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For $300, you may be able to pick up a white one in 5. Personally, that kind of toning does nothing for me, so I would not pay a premium for it. To me, it's a $110 coin; it might as well be in a GSA holder.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭
    From the pic, I can't see why they gave it a star.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭
    That's not a great coin if judged by the photo. However, I would pay extra money for a coin with exceptional eye appeal (i.e. MS63*). How much extra depends on the particular coin.

    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file