Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I think I'll have fun at Taco Bell tonight.

RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
I'm in the mood for Mexican. I'm also in the mood to see the look on the clerk's face when I pay using a Two Cent Piece. image

Russ, NCNE

Comments

  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    What slot in the till does it go in image
  • Options
    You'll need at least a hundred of those in order to get anything worthwhile, Russ!
  • Options
    I usually pull out the $10 Lib I carry around and really screw with people. image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    You're going to spend a two cent piece at Taco Bell? I can't wait to hear how that goes.

    But according to snopes, don't try to give them a $2 bill.

    New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I bought a pile of really crappy corroded ones at a show a while back. I've been using them at the grocery store from time to time, but most of the clerks have gotten one by now. image They're all pretty sharp, anyway. Every time I spend a silver Kennedy, they don't even bat an eye and buy if from the till as soon as I hand it to them.

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Let us know how it goes. Will it be a proof-only issue? If so, let me know which Taco Bell.

    Coolimage

    Tom
    Tom

  • Options
    Hey Russ, I'll buy you a couple of burritos for that 2 cent'er, hell, I'll even throw in a taco or 2...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    I've often thought it would fun to buy something for say $5.00 and hand them an Ike,SBA and a Sac.dollar and see what kind of reaction I get,or for that matter see what they give me back in change.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    I'm reporting this OT thread to Cammie...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    He'll find it on his own.
  • Options
    Oh yeah I forgot, 'Search & seziure'....image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    Not OT as long as Russ reports back and tells us what the clerk thought of the two cent coins.

    Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I've often thought it would fun to buy something for say $5.00 and hand them an Ike,SBA and a Sac.dollar and see what kind of reaction I get,or for that matter see what they give me back in change. >>



    And you're not even going to throw in a $2 bill?
    image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options


    << <i>

    << <i>I've often thought it would fun to buy something for say $5.00 and hand them an Ike,SBA and a Sac.dollar and see what kind of reaction I get,or for that matter see what they give me back in change. >>



    And you're not even going to throw in a $2 bill? >>

    Come to think of it,that would make it that much more fun.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    segojasegoja Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭✭
    Did a deal once that sold about $1000 worht of BU lincolns at bid, but I had to take SBA's at face value for payment. Well a dealre had sold them to me for 50% of bid, so I took the offer.

    My local Kroger loved me, $100 at a time.

    Needless to say, I had to fight to spend this hard earned money.

    One at a time would have been more fun, but I didn't have a few years to wait!

    No fun to take them to the bank, anyway, they wanted them all rolled up neat.
    JMSCoins Website Link


    Ike Specialist

    Finest Toned Ike I've Ever Seen, been looking since 1986

    image
  • Options
    Several years back (1996! How did that become several years back?) I was standing in line to buy Page and Plant Concert Tickets and struck up a conversation with a funny guy (literally- he is a stand up comic) and when we got in the door to purchase our tickets he was $13 short. I spotted him the $13 (you bond with people after standing in firgid temperatures for four hours) and we walked out to his truck so he could pay me back and he held up a coffee cup of SBAs and asked I knew what they were, and if it would be okay to unload 13 of them on me! It was so funny- he keeps them on him at all times and leaves them as tips at restaurants and confuses Wal Mart employees with them.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I think you'd probably get the same reaction to a Sackie or SBA as a 2 cent piece, and it will be a lot cheaper! DOn't foget you are dealing with those with McJobs.
  • Options
    I must confess

    I just love to spend $2 bills, sacs, SBAs, Ikes. In fact, I go out of my way to do so. Nothing is better than the look on the clerk's faces when you drop a $2 bill or Ike on them. Sometimes, the look of total bewilderment is a true kodak moment.

    Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

  • Options
    Is Russ still at taco bell?

    Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    I feel foolish asking this question--but is obsolete coinage like half cents, large cents, half dimes, two and three cent pieces still valid for purchases? Also--how did your Taco Bell trip turn out?
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billboat- unless they demonetize the U.S. dollar and create a new one in the future, yes.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Hey Russ,

    Curious how your Taco Bell trip went. Did you remember to take the two center out of the slab? image
    Dan
  • Options


    << <i>Curious how your Taco Bell trip went >>




    Me too!
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    what are you going to have for lunch a spoon fill of sour cream
    image


    I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

    Always looking for nice type coins

    my local dealer
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Russ got arrested at Taco Bell for counterfeiting-------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Well, that was rather anti-climactic. My luck, I had to get a dullard who was obviously broke when he visited the personality store.

    The bill was $12.53, so as part of that I hand him two quarters, a dime, a penny and the two center. He looks at it briefly, says "never seen one of these" and pops it in the till. I don't think he even looked at the date. Probably thought it was current coinage. Geez, I was hoping he'd at least get the manager.

    I think I'll try McDonald's next. image

    Russ, NCNE

  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ:

    Try a 3 CN. A cull 3 CN is about the same price as a cull 2 cent piece and you get 50% more purchasing power with the 3 CN. Plus if you are lucky the teller will think it's a dime, in which case you'd get 400% more purchasing power than a 2 cent piece!! image

    Mark
    Mark


  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Actually, try a bank. The bank tellers are worse than Taco Bell or McDonald's in my opinion. Almost every time I buy rolls of Kennedy Halves, they want to charge me $20 a roll, instead of $10. Similar stories with the Sac. You would think that bank tellers, most of all, would at least know how to count current change.

    One time, I even had a teller get the manager, because she thought I was trying to rip her off. The manager just shook his head when the teller explained what I was trying to do. I sure hoped he put the teller in place.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146 ✭
    thanks all for a very entertaining thread.

    i cant stop laughing, i swear.....image
  • Options
    If you really want to have some fun, take in a couple of BEP $1 bill sheets to the bank, play innocent and ask if these are "spendable". Half the time, they're hitting the speed dial to the secret service.

    Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,608 ✭✭
    Russ,

    If you wanted Mexican food why did you go to Taco Bell?

    CG
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

    No joke - - - the last time I stopped at Taco Bell I had to get out my camera!

    They had a huge promotional sign on their window that read "Win BIG Gas, Instantly!"

    The manager didn't think it was too funny, but I about died! What idiot puts a BIG Gas Here sign in a Taco Bell window?image


    (Apparently they were referring to Gasoline, not the burrito-inspired one!)


  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146 ✭
    how bout writing a check on posterboard and walk in to the bank with that.

    tell em you won on the price is right or wheel of fortune. image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146 ✭
    win big a$$ here ?
    image
  • Options
    Even MORE OT:

    Back when I was a teenager, I was given a $50 Regal Shoe Store gift certificate by my mother one Christmas. I didn't use it for over 5 years but there was no expiration date on it (although it DID have the date it was issued). One day I dug it out & decided to use it. I went to the store & picked out a pair of shoes that cost about $43. I gave the clerk the gift cert. for payment & told them to keep the change. The clerk said "we can't take this, it's 5 years old". You could imagine how I reacted. They called security (who didn't care that there was NOTHING about the cert that indicated it was not valid) who then called the police (who didn't care that there was NOTHING about the cert that indicated it was not valid) who then took me in. The next day (after I posted a whopping $5 bail 3 hours after I got taken in) the President of the company called to apologize profusely, dropping all charges (misdeanor theft) and offering me $500 in free shoes. I could of said OK to the clerk but I beleive in sticking up for myself when I know I'm right. I should've sued but I didn't (I was young & stupid then - I wish it happened to me now).

    Moral of the story: BEWARE of buying coins from a "penny loafer pilferer" image LOL

    Real moral of the story: don't back down when you know you're in the right - no matter the cost & FIGHT for what's just. image
  • Options
    Speaking of Taco Bell - have you ever really looked in those Charity tubs filled with water, on the counter, where you drop a quarter and try to catch it on a different colored circle? (not sure if these are at Taco Bell's everywhere, but they are at all the ones in my area. I always look to see if anyone tossed in anything good. Early on I saw an IHC, but just recently I saw a 1940 quarter - the green stuff they put in the water (to keep it from turning green?) - had brightened the Q until it stood out like a beacon.

    Food for thought.......
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭


    << <i>If you wanted Mexican food why did you go to Taco Bell? >>



    Good point, but I wanted to try that new zesty chicken bowl thing they've been advertising.

    Russ, NCNE

  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    What kills me is even if the two cent piece was G- VG is was worth more than you could have eaten in a week at Taco Bell. imageimageimage
    Dan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file